Tamiya JAS-39 Gripen

That's looking great Kristian :rolleyes:

Lovely finish.

The Gripen is such a pretty aircraft. I can't wait until someone releases one out in 1/32nd scale. I hope Mr.Song manages to persuade Trumpeter to see their version though :rofl: His preview shots looked encouraging.

:lol:

I'm glad to see that you like her!

I was out to my hobby room this morning (despite the snow... :whistle: ) and wanted to have a look at her after some time had past. And I must admit that I am very pleased with how the paw came out. That was a nice start for the day. The rest of it will be spent plowing snow that has been falling during all night and doesn't seem to want to stop yet...

/Kristian

• 4 weeks later...

Folks: I am seeing the light! I repeat: I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I am currently in the final assembly stage. Just glue the landing gears on. Then will the doors follow, then pylons, bang seat, canopy and exhaust pipe. And she will be done!

:wacko: :woo: :)

/Kristian

Just when I think I'm soon done with her, she turn around me in the ***!

I had a feeling yesterday, when leaving my work bench, that the main gear were not equally long, so that the Gripen would lean on one side. And that was the first thing I checked tonight as soon as I got back. Do I even need to tell you how it was? :monkeydance:

So I had to redo most of the work! But now it's done and I was able to check the result before leaving and this time it's 99% right. The right wing is less than 0,5mm lower, which isn't noticeable, unless you measure it. So here's a couple of pictures documenting the status for the moment.

IMG_9275.jpg

IMG_9276.jpg

Hopefully I'll have more to show tomorrow night.

/Kristian

No, remember I got resin wheel wells in there? Well, my guess is that a combination of not 100% symmetrical bays and gear legs together with some imprecision from my side resulted in the plane not sitting parallel to the ground.

/Kristian

• 2 weeks later...

According to my plan this Gripen should have been sitting on the shelf since last week-end. But as I'd now by now, plans are there only to be revised!

So she's not finished yet. I've been stumbling on never ending details to take care of. Truth to be told, for not so long time ago I would have probably looked the other way and not cared about all of them. To give an example:

last Sunday I was gluing the fake Sidewinders to the wing tip while checking with a couple of ref pics that I have looked at certainly hundreds of times. BUT this time I noticed that Swedish Sidewinder-dummies do not have the small control wheels at the tip of the fins! So they had to go! Off came the missiles. Out files and sanding sticks. The paint job had to be touched up...well you get the point!

As I said: if it hadn't been for such awesome works I've been following here on ARC where great attention was paid to all details...well...I'd probably left them on their rails and "swore" to remember the detail for the next time.

So at the moment I still miss to re-glue the missiles to the wing tips, the canopy, the air brakes, the exhaust and two fiddly brackets that folds the front door of the nose wheel. And the canards. Only then she'll be parked on her shelf.

Hereby are some pictures of how she's looking right now. Comments are as always more than welcome!

IMG_9312.jpg

IMG_9311.jpg

IMG_9308.jpg

IMG_9307.jpg

IMG_9306.jpg

/Kristian

I must say Kristian, the more I look at it, the more impressed I get!

The colors truly are spot on! Good thing you toned down the paw as well, since I recall it being dark grey, not black. Not the first thing TwoBobs messed up.... :lol:

Kris, I bet no one would have notice the little wheels on the missiles - other than you and other modelers!

Looks good though!

I know, and that's why up till not a long time ago I'd left them and looked the other way. But hanging around ARC have taught me not to avoid that kind of small challenges - even if on the finish line. Still the finished Gripen won't be perfect - actually not even close. But at least it will be a little better.

/Kristian

I have ceased being amazed by the work done by some of the finest modelers on this planet here on ARC, yet I'm am constantly being treated to yet another example of outstanding modeling skills such as those by the OP in this thread. It is sometimes depressing; yet at the same time very inspiring for modelers such as me to constantly seek and aspire to match or come as close as humanly possible to emulating these fine displays of craftsmanship and skills. Thank you Kristian for another display of how simply wonderful this hobby can be and the results to be had if one doesn't give up, but presses on until their desired satisfaction is reached or comes to fruition.

Edited by Angels49