Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. Hey Alexander and karl h, great build you guys have. I`m relieved that others have had the same fit issues, this is definitley not a clean fitting kit. I see the same areas that needed filler and extra attention. I have to say, this build has been a real pain, it has come real close to being a QF-18 a few times. No pics to show, i`m still dealing with all the fuselage seams.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it`s been a while since the last update. i have managed to paint the Hornet...THREE TIMES!!! Stripped twice and it now carries a uniform coat of grey. I`m going to shelve this for a while before i go ballistic and do something i`ll regret. I`ll come back to it before the GB ends, and it may be in a different scheme. The problems were in color matching and poor masking, it just looked very wrong. I will build something else in the mean time.

Don

Yeah, thats right, the model won the fight. :tease:

Took one last try at this last night and this morning. The blues still aren`t right, could still be a little dark, but they are the closest yet. I`ll keep going with the build, hopefully the worst is over.

Don

IMG_3345a.jpg

Great looking paintjob...after all what happened to you I think that this is a great result and is very neat!

yeah the blue is a bit bright...but i think that all the clear coats and weathering could tone it a bit down!!!

Cheers and great work again!

:salute:

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!!! This has been a long build for me, progress has been slow. Been watching the other builds and they are all impressive. I did manage to gloss coat and apply the decals to the build. The amount of decals was minimal and went very quickly, they settled down fine. Anyway, one pic for today.

IMG_3349a.jpg

Don

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I won the Pro Modeller wash system in the Wild Weasel GB, and was anxious to try it on my Hornet build. The wash system worked great, the color is spot on, and for the size of the build, i used suprisingly little of the stuff, maybe a couple of eyedropper fulls. As an added bonus it seemed to darken the paint a bit. The removal was easy as well. I can highly recommend the stuff, will continue to use it as it is more consistent than my own homebrew stuff. Some pics below.

Wash applied before removal

IMG_3351a.jpg

Close pics after cleanup

IMG_3357a.jpg

IMG_3358a.jpg

Don

How did you scrub the wash off without damaging the decals?

Hello Eri!! The decals are sealed after being applied with a coat of clear gloss.The wash is applied over the gloss coat.

Don

Hello Eri!! The decals are sealed after being applied with a coat of clear gloss.The wash is applied over the gloss coat.

Don

My apologies Don. Looks like I may have locked this without even realising - was not intentional. As a mod, it is only a single mouse click 5mm to the left of a conversation topic which will lock a thread. Steve has sorted it now. Nice progress.

• 2 weeks later...
My apologies Don. Looks like I may have locked this without even realising - was not intentional. As a mod, it is only a single mouse click 5mm to the left of a conversation topic which will lock a thread. Steve has sorted it now. Nice progress.

No problem, Craig :doh: !! I did finally finish the build. Had problems towards the end (just like the beginning and middle ). Putting the main gear on, i found i had assembled them wrong. The big shock was installed upside down on one side like a Canadian Bug. Also, the afterburner cans are different, i guess the Bug used different cans but i used two different can. One more error, glued the windshield and main canopy down, then noticed i forgot the HUD glass. I`m glad the build is over and done with, can`t say i want to do another Hornet. I have the Leading Edge generic Hornet sheet i wanted to use but i don`t know..... Anyway, some pics of the build.

IMG_3466a.jpg

IMG_3465a.jpg

IMG_3484a.jpg

IMG_3483a.jpg

IMG_3478a.jpg

Don

I think it's a beauty! :worship:

For what it's worth, almost everyone I've ever spoken to who's built one of these has had very similar difficulties. They also all agree that these Academy Bugs can be tamed with enough patience and elbow grease. You've proven them right on both points!

Great job!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!! I realized i left a lot of info out of the post. the two blues were mixed from Tamiya paints for the light blue and i used Polly Scale water based Railroad Colors mixed for the dark blue. I think if i worked at it a little more i could arrive at the proper mix. I never could find a bottle of 35109 Testors to compare. I used Promodeller washes to accentuate the panel lines, have to say that these washes are great!! My own homebrew washes work okay but i could never get the colors right. They are also very economical, used about 2-3 table spoons to do the entire kit. The Fighter Town decals worked fine with no silvering and perfect fit, thank god the stencils were minimal on this build. The final step was using MiG Pigments to post shade the panel lines, the build is weathered heavier than pics i could find show, but i like it this way. Hey Craig, i`ll post some pics to the finished thread, just trying to take some better ones.

Don

That is a great looking bird. I am currently building a 1/48th scale Revell F/A-18E Superhornet and I hope that my "bug", as it seems to be affectionately dubbed, turns out half as good as yours. Great Job!