Hobbyboss 1/48 F-105D

Some pics to show progress as major construction is just about done and primer is about to be applied to see where any work needs to be done.The Centreline pylon is scratchbuilt as there's not one in the kit and I've replaced the kit seat with a True Details (KMC) one which looks much better.

F-1051.jpg

F-1052.jpg

I think the kit is designed to have the gun bay open as mine took some sanding to get it to fit flush and the refuelling probe is definitely designed to be posed open.

F-1053.jpg

The reinforcing plates were sanded off and panel lines rescribed.

F-1055.jpg

The wheels seemed OK to me but I've sanded a flat spot on them and drilled out the holes for a bit more detail.

Stephen

Hi that looks great, just waiting for mine from Luckymodel strange no center line pylon though whats the bombs like?.

Andy :thumbsup:

The kit bombs are 500lb Mk82's but they're slightly larger than the ones in the Hasegawa weapons set so I'm replacing them with Mk117 750lbs from the set as well as the MER which lacks a lot of detail.There are also 2 x AGM-12 bullpup missiles.I'm going to add an ECM pod and AIM-9B from the spares box to give a standard load out for the time period.

Stephen

Looks good so far! I want to buy one of these too, just waiting for Aires to release some details sets for it before I hand over the cash.

What markings do you plan on doing?

Cheers,

Terry

I'm torn between ***** Galore (kit markings) and Memphis Belle II (aftermarket)

Stephen

Looks great, thanks for posting. I am very excited about building my kit.

A couple questions, what is the deal with the tires? When I saw that on my kit I thought it was some sort of error, is that a balance method?

How hard would it be to add the upper wing stiffeners? Does anyone have drawing or images?

I know it isn't a great profile shot, but it looks like they fixed the nose issue. I know some people say they have, others say they have not.

Edited by Scooby

A couple questions, what is the deal with the tires? When I saw that on my kit I thought it was some sort of error, is that a balance method?

If you mean those recesses on the tyres,they're on the real thing .

HTH

Stephen

Looks good so far! I want to buy one of these too, just waiting for Aires to release some details sets for it before I hand over the cash.

What markings do you plan on doing?

Cheers,

Terry

I am working on a 'pit set right now.

I hope to have something ready in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Harold

32nd, 48th, 72nd --- Disappionted that even new HB kit's nose still wrong shapened as preceders!

Do you care to elaborate what is wrong with the nose shape. I have been looking at pictures from my "Thud" book and to me the nose looks okay. When I see picutes of this build up it looks like an F-105D to me.

BTW, Stephen nice job so far on the kit. Can't wait to see more progress.

How hard would it be to add the upper wing stiffeners? Does anyone have drawing or images?

I know it isn't a great profile shot, but it looks like they fixed the nose issue. I know some people say they have, others say they have not.

I have a THUD in my play yard and don't recall any stiffeners on the tops of the wings. The only one's I am aware of are on the undersides. I will however, make a trip out there in the coming weeks to make sure and provide a better pic of the upper surfaces if your interested.

f-105d_60-5385_234_of_248.jpg

f-105d_60-5385_220_of_248.jpg

f-105d_60-5385_092_of_248.jpg

f-105d_60-5385_179_of_248.jpg

f-105d_60-0500_039_of_114.jpg

f-105f_63-8343_085_of_184.jpg

f-105f_63-8343_079_of_184.jpg

Theres one good shot on cybermodeler where you can just about make out one of the grooves in the 2 o'clock position. They are present but HB have got them way overstated. They don't show up in any of the pics in the D&S book and are not represented in the Monogram kit.

http://www.cybermodeler.net/aircraft/f-105...a_f-105d-20.jpg

Not 100% sure of the purpose but at a guess I would say they are probably blank spaces where pressure and specification instructions are usually inserted into the tyre mould. If you look at older type car tyres the instructions are usually printed onto a slightly recessed area just like that. Personally I'd fill 'em in.

That looks sweet!!! I am getting ready to paint mine- hopefully this weekend. As for the tires, Royal Resin's tires fit nicely, so I used them. Did you add nose weight? I added the main gear and so far, it looks like it might be a tail sitter. I did not add the nose yet, but I don't think that is going to be enough by itself. I definitely do not want to add anything unecessarily because those gear are delicate

Wow. Nice work on the painting. Looks great. :monkeydance: I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Regarding the depressions on the tires. The aircraft I flew last weekend had one tire with such a depression on it, albeit it was on an MD-80 not an F-105, but my guess is it serves the same purpose. It was as Pablo 189 said, it had the manufacture date of the tire stamped there. My guess is that HB was trying to do the same thing with their kit wheels to add that little extra "detail". Although the depth is too deep on the kit tire. On the real tire the depth couldn't have been more than 1/16th of inch deep. In 1/48 scale that would work out to be less than .001" deep. Just my .02 cents worth.

Mark

Looks superb so far, unlike most of my other purchases my Trump 72nd Thud hasn't found it's way into the loft yet for some strange reason and I just have to keep looking in the box at it - NOW, well I might just have to build the damn thing!!!

Can't wait to see the finished article!

Eng :P