Hasegawa 1/48 F-14 Bombcat Conversion

Hi All,

Got another small update on the Tomcat, i only get an hour here and there to work on her so progress is slow and I've just got my first three commission models to build too :woot.gif: , just to slow me down a bit more . Will be the first time I've built a model for someone else so pressure will be on, he wants a Lanc Spit and Hurricane so quite a bit of work. Anyway enough of my excuses on with the Tomcat.

Last time a did an update i had just finished painting the intakes and was waiting for paint, well they arrived, I'll be using Mr Hobby paints H337, H308, H307 and H301 for the TPS, got the paints from Model Design Construction. First job was to paint the inside of front parts of the intakes in FS36375 H308 and then give them a bit of weathering. I've finally decided which decal option I'll be doing and its Victory 101 low viz, 101 was officially the very last VF-103 Tomcat to get launched off a carrier and during the cruise suffered an engine failure, with this in mind i weathered one intake a bit more than the other.

DSCN2912.jpg

DSCN2913.jpg

DSCN2915.jpg

I also painted up and weathered the intakes parts on the fuse

DSCN2911.jpg

DSCN2918.jpg

As this will be the first TPS I've done i thought I'd start on one of the tails, not sure if it needs a bit more work, difficult to know when to stop and not over do it, what do you think?

DSCN2921.jpg

DSCN2919.jpg

My Fine Molds pitot tube arrived from Hobby Link Japan, really impressed only took days from the email saying they had shipped them

DSCN2917.jpg

I'll get the intakes on and that should be the all the major assembly done so progress should be a bit quicker.

GHost

Hi!

Very nice build! :popcorn:

I'm also building a Jolly Rogers last cruise F-14B in 1/48, but I make the CO's aircraft. (Victory 103) :thumbsup:

Also a Hasegawa with Black Box Bombcat cockpit and conversion.

But I think I'm a little bit slower than you...

Did your Skyrider GBU-12 arrive yet? I ordered them from Amraam Line. They have no decals, but are a lot cheaper ($6 for two pieces)

Markus

Thanks for the comments Markus, your build looking good too m8 :) I'll have another update later as i've done a bit more work but not posted the pics yet.

Yeah my Skyraider GBU-12's arrived friday but i now have GBU-12's a plenty as i ordered the Tamiya F-16 which came with four then my fav model store suddenly had the Hasegawa weapon set D in stock, so i had to get that quick too before they all sold out, so now i have about 12 GBU-12's :worship: I have to say out of all of them i like the ones that came in the Hasegawa set best so i'll use them on the 'Cat. I'm battling with the undercarriage at the moment and i've managed to snap a wheel off :cheers:

Oh no tough luck with that but I'm sure with your capabilities youll do just fine getting those back on! Hey there have a question for ya! How did you weather the intake trunking so well and what colors did you use? Well I guess technically thats two questions, but anyway! Tell me tell me! hehe! Awesome job so far!

Thanks JMan, I got the trouble sum wheel back on ;) drilled a hole and used a cut off piece from a needle, went on a treat. The weathering in the intakes was done with Tamiya Buff with a bit of dark brown added and sprayed very lightly, and then a black enamel wash, hope that helps.

Edited by Dr Savage

OK the intakes are on, i managed to get a really good join with out hardly any filler ;) , have'nt primed it yet so that might change, i've also fitted the fuel tank pylons and bottom fins or what ever they are called

DSCN2947Small.jpg

DSCN2948Small.jpg

I've also fitted the Fine Molds pitot tube, looks ok again will see when the primer is on

DSCN2946Small.jpg

DSCN2954Small.jpg

and my Eduard set arrived so i've fitted a few grills and sensor mount plates, i'm starting to hate super glue it seems to bond instantly when i don't want it to and then never stick when i really need it! bomb racks are on too

DSCN2952Small.jpg

DSCN2953Small.jpg

DSCN2949Small.jpg

DSCN2950Small.jpg

you get a nice cockpit surround in the Eduard set with canopy latches and after looking at it i thought mine plastic looked a bit bear, so i cut off and trimmed the edge parts and stuck them on, they look ok but again until the paint goes on i wont be 100% sure, if they look pants i'll take them off

DSCN2945Small.jpg

Now onto the undercarriage, i seem to have made a right meal of this, its been fighting me all the way i could'nt seem to the rear gear to fit and then i fitted one of the wheels only to find it was at a weird angel, i tried to gently get it off but snap, broke the wheel off along with the mounting axle . I fixed that with a bit of cut down needle and luckily it went back on ok. Here's a pic before the paint, i've added the Eduard etch wiring and some lead wire

DSCN2941Small.jpg

DSCN2943Small.jpg

and after a coat of XF-2

DSCN2961Small.jpg

DSCN2959Small.jpg

I'll give them a wash get the tyres on and put them to one side, i'm just waiting for my Dr Pepper nozzles to arrive then i'll get the shrouds on, i'm planning on using CF decal for them, then it will be paint time. I've also started on the weapons, i'm not being totally accurate as i'm going to fit a Sparrow missile, didn't like that empty pylon , 2 x GBU- 12 and 2 x AIM-9. I also need to make a start on the canopies too, still a lot to do.

Doc

Thanks JMan, I got the trouble sum wheel back on :redx: drilled a hole and used a cut off piece from a needle, went on a treat. The weathering in the intakes was done with Tamiya Buff with a bit of dark brown added and sprayed very lightly, and then a black enamel wash, hope that helps.

Yeah that does help! I am just starting to do washes and well I am building an F/A-18E and the wash I applied to the gear, didnt turn out the way I wanted, tooooooooooo dark, so I stripped them, then repainted, and this time I will apply a coat of Future, that stuff is da bomb, then tomorrow I will apply a wash to them, fingers crossed they turn out better than before. Awesome pics. If I can get a descent digital camera I will try and take some pics and show you guys! thanks DOC!!!!

and my Eduard set arrived so i've fitted a few grills and sensor mount plates, i'm starting to hate super glue it seems to bond instantly when i don't want it to and then never stick when i really need it! bomb racks are on too

DSCN2952Small.jpg

DSCN2953Small.jpg

DSCN2949Small.jpg

DSCN2950Small.jpg

you get a nice cockpit surround in the Eduard set with canopy latches and after looking at it i thought mine plastic looked a bit bear, so i cut off and trimmed the edge parts and stuck them on, they look ok but again until the paint goes on i wont be 100% sure, if they look pants i'll take them off

DSCN2945Small.jpg

Now onto the undercarriage, i seem to have made a right meal of this, its been fighting me all the way i could'nt seem to the rear gear to fit and then i fitted one of the wheels only to find it was at a weird angel, i tried to gently get it off but snap, broke the wheel off along with the mounting axle . I fixed that with a bit of cut down needle and luckily it went back on ok. Here's a pic before the paint, i've added the Eduard etch wiring and some lead wire

DSCN2941Small.jpg

DSCN2943Small.jpg

and after a coat of XF-2

DSCN2961Small.jpg

DSCN2959Small.jpg

I'll give them a wash get the tyres on and put them to one side, i'm just waiting for my Dr Pepper nozzles to arrive then i'll get the shrouds on, i'm planning on using CF decal for them, then it will be paint time. I've also started on the weapons, i'm not being totally accurate as i'm going to fit a Sparrow missile, didn't like that empty pylon , 2 x GBU- 12 and 2 x AIM-9. I also need to make a start on the canopies too, still a lot to do.

Doc

Hey there Doc, anything special you use before you spray white? I usually have to put on about 2 or 3 coats even with a primer on to get a nice uniform coat! Oh well, I"ll just keep spraying and spraying.....hehe! :shoot:

Yay, my 200th post!

Edited by JMan
  • 2 months later...

Evening Everyone,

I just checked my last post on this build and it was dated 24th September :whistle: , works been mad and i've been diverted by these three

DSCN3040Medium.jpg

i'm building them for someone, so the Tomcat has taken a backseat, BUT no more, as i'm fast running out of time to complete it before 1st Jan, so i've cleared the bench and got the Tomcat backout. Quite a lot to catch up on so bear with me, i'll just post some pics with a few words.

In my last post i was trying to sort out the fire retardent covering on the LGB's, this is the first time i've tried this and i have to say i'm really pleased how they came out

DSCN2983Medium.jpg

and then after a wash and decals, i've also finished the other weapons, did'nt have any stencil data decals for the saparrow so how you see it is how t will be fitted

DSCN3028Medium.jpg

Finished the undercarriage, painted some of the cables, fitted the rubber wheels and cut some flat spots drybrushed and put the Fighter Town decals on, this is the first time i've used Fighter Town decals but I have to say they are the best i've used so far!

DSCN3027Medium.jpg

Edited by Dr Savage

My Drpepper Cans arrived so they had to be fitted, as you can see below you need to do a bit of work to get them to fit

BEFORE

DSCN2979Medium.jpg

AFTER

DSCN2981Medium.jpg

Engines were painted white then Alclad Steel bands sprayed, then Jet exhaust streaks etc, forgot to take a pic of the streaks

DSCN2985Medium.jpg

DSCN2987Medium.jpg

DSCN2988Medium.jpg

The cans were painted with Games Workshop Silver and then shading with Alcald Gold Titanium, Decals from Drpepper, i've only got this pic of them, the tails in the pic are'nt finished, still need painting.

DSCN3026Medium.jpg

Air brake wells were painted red and the wheel wells white then masked off and the whole airframe sprayed XF-19 as a primer, then i knocked of the Antenna!! doh

DSCN3029Medium.jpg

DSCN3030Medium.jpg

Thats basically what i had done upto this weekend, i managed to get most of sunday to work on the CAT, fist order of the day was spraying the underside. I spray outside in a nonheated, brafty leaking workshop, plastic sheets on the ceiling to stop me getting dripped on and it was FREEZING on sunday! not the best conditions to work in but i'm short on time so i just got on with it.

The pics below are how it turned out at the end of sunday, i used Mr Hobby Colour for the three shades being 307, 308, 337 i think. This is another first for me as i've never painted a TPS before and i wanted it to look used, so i preshaded, and post shaded then just sort of made it up as i went along

DSCN3031Medium.jpg

DSCN3032Medium.jpg

I'm quite pleased how it turned out, but still had to do a bit more shading so last night out came the X-19 smoke with a tiny drop of brown, another trip out at 7pm into the freezing cold workshop to do some more spraying and here it is

DSCN3034Medium.jpg

DSCN3035Medium.jpg

DSCN3036Medium.jpg

DSCN3037Medium.jpg

I'm going to leave it there before i muck it up, my airbrush was giving me grief, i suspect it was the cold weather anyway i'm pleased with it for my first TPS, i would really love some feedback, what do you think? it looks better in the flesh i had a real job trying to get a good photo.

Just need to spray the tails, that will be tomorrow nights job then a coat of clear and then the decals.

Dr Savage

Hey Doc,

is it just me or are your wings on the wrong side? I thought the actuators would be on the bottom

Andy

I would have to agree, plus the leading edge slat there looks a little too wide!