Painting Day-Glo Orange on an F-86L?

Hey all,

Does anyone have any suggestions for painting the large nose and tail bands in fluorescent orange on my F-86L interceptor? The last time I tried using fluorescent paint it was an unmitigated disaster. Is there any particular trick to it? I used Model Master paints last time and they pretty much just went to crap...

This is for the museum and I've got waaaay too much time invested in converting it from a D to an L, so it HAS to work!

8.jpg

Thanks!

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian

Step 1: Ditch all of your ModelMaster paint, ESPECIALLY the for-crap fluorescent colors

Step 2: Get some cheap enamel paint from Michael's (Mal-Wart if you must, but I try to stay well clear of that hell hole)

Step 3: Make SURE you have a good solid white undercoat. Use thin coats of the fluorescent paint and build it up slowly.

Step 4: Ditch all of the ModelMaster crap.

:D

J

Step 1: Ditch all of your ModelMaster paint, ESPECIALLY the for-crap fluorescent colors

Step 2: Get some cheap enamel paint from Michael's (Mal-Wart if you must, but I try to stay well clear of that hell hole)

Step 3: Make SURE you have a good solid white undercoat. Use thin coats of the fluorescent paint and build it up slowly.

:lol:

J

Gee Jennings, are you sure I shouldn't use Model Master paints? :D

Thanks for the advice guys! I will definitely swing by Michael's before I spray this bad boy. Very pleased at how it has come out so far

P9090989.jpg

P9090990.jpg

I'll be priming her tomorrow (have a hockey game tonight) and getting ready to do that oh-so-fun natural metal/dayglo finish! :whistle:

Jon

Jon,

I used a base of Floquil Reeefer White on my A-4D-2 build here: HERE

I used a combination of 50/50 Flo. Orange and Guards Red ( yes, MM enamels...) and it worked great.

Here's a shot of it.

02.jpg

Edited by volzj

Well, it worked!

I sprayed a primer coat, white for the undersurfaces and dayglo spots and then sprayed metalizer buffing aluminium over it. The Dayglo doesn't really show up in these pics, it kinda just looks orange, but in person, it looks fantastic!

Now to get the decals from Joseph!

P9161038.jpg

P9161039.jpg

P9161040.jpg

P9161041.jpg

:thumbsup:

J

I don't know why, I've never had trouble using ModelMaster florescent paint, maybe I'm just lucky, I paint a base coat of MM flat white and then paint

a few light coats of the fluorescent paint and it's done, no problem, see my F-86D in the post above, no problem with the Alclad either.

Bob

Since I had it on hand, I went with MM fluorescent orange over flat white and I am VERY happy with how it came out!

You can't really see it in the photos, but about ten seconds before I shot these pics, she had "US Air Force" decals on the fuselage. Some masking tape pulled them off nicely, leaviing just the faintest impression of the lettering, just like the real thing!

Joseph of Fireball Modelworks is doing up NC Air Guard decals for this bird and she'll be finished pretty quickly once they arrive!

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian

Although I don't have any photos, I just finished shooting my Academy T-33 with MM Flourescent Red-Orange (FS28913) and it turned out spectacularly well.

I primed it with MM Light Grey. Tem three very light base coats of MM Gloss Insignia White to ensure complete coverage and two light coats of Red-Orange.

I'll be doing it up as the RCAF's "Red Knight" from 1964 and presenting it to the father of one of the ladies I work work, Mr. Bill Slaughter, the Red Knight in 1964.

As has been noted, the best results are achieved when spraying the flourescent colour over a very even base coat of flat or gloss white.