Pierre's Felixstowe F.2A - FINISHED after 17 months!

Today was modeling with great care, without going nuts! First I built four relay cables: a Lycra thread, two pulleys and two brass fasteners. The 0.3mm cutting broach is to clean the inside of the tube after the cut. The tread goes twice through it and there is hardly enough space.

Felixstowe-1_101.jpg

Then I glue the command wires along the center mast.

Felixstowe-2_74.jpg

Everything finds nicely its place after the ailerons are connected.

Felixstowe-3_37.jpg

The command wires at the end of the wing.

Felixstowe-4_19.jpg

One again the center area. Now I just need to do it again on the upper wing surface.

Felixstowe-5_9.jpg

The story goes on with the building of tiny eyelets. Internal diameter is 0.3mm. I used copper wire, twisted around a 0.25 drill bit, cut and soldered.

Felixstowe-1_102.jpg

The eyelets are to attach the stabilisers to the wings. I needed 8 eyelets and ended up building twice as many. The toll was high with trial & errors combined with satellisations . I reinforced the stabiliser attachment with copper wire too.

Felixstowe-2_75.jpg

After my spider's work.

Felixstowe-3_38.jpg

My favorite match.

Felixstowe-4_20.jpg

hello my friend

I can't be more awed then the next guy by these updates of yours. The thing that awes me the most is you paint all of these wires after you attach them and yet manage not to break or damage one of them :jaw-dropping:

I hope I get another chance to meet this model in person

Cheers and happy rigging

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Thank you guys :blink: Frederick, I hope to meet you again in Brussels :woot.gif:

A couple more eyelets, assembled as turnbuckles.

Felixstowe-1_103.jpg

The turnbuckles go here.

Felixstowe-3_39.jpg

They are used to tighten the dragwires that start from the front of the hull towards the wings.

Felixstowe-2_76.jpg

Nothing new with the engines, they keep fascinating my eyes.

Felixstowe-4_21.jpg

One more shot of the eyelets and pulleys at the aileron command wires.

Felixstowe-5_10.jpg

The end of the journey closes in :)

Felixstowe-6_6.jpg

Edited by Scalephantomphixer

That build was so amazing that I do not have adjectives for it. Apsolutely muzeum qualite. Pierre, You an ARTIST!!!!! :woot.gif:

Thank You for showing this. That sort of craftmanship is very seldom in the world :blink: :) :thumbsup:

Edited by mareku

Congratulations on a wonderful build Pierre.

Your work and quality of workmanship truly become more astonishing with each successive project.

Might I suggest that for the top decking, you try actual real wooden splints?

Using a hardwood, they would be inherently more rigid and remain straight, rather than warp like the plastic ones seem to do.

They would also accept a wood stain, and could be sealed with a brushing of cyano glue for extra strength and stiffness.

They'd likely still be quite fragile, though most of the heavy lifting and handling should be over by now.

As you too seem to be already aware of, we can always improve on what we've done before!

Thank you for sharing your most interesting and inspiring project with us all.

Pierre, This is a 4th build of yours that I'm following and all I can say is.....will you adopt me and teach me your skill? .....lol When it comes to building models you Sir are the MAN....hands down :D I want thank you for taking your time and documenting every step you are covering during you build. You may not adopt me but I can sure learn few things from all these beautiful photographs. ;)

Mike

Thanks guys, much appreciated :monkeydance: I redid the structure using the same styrene strips, but avoided CA glue. I think there is now little chances anything will break again, since this area is no longer manipulated as much as I used to when the hull was alone.

Before I put the propellers on, the crew needs some protection from the wind. So I built custom-made wind-shields.

Felixstowe-1_105.jpg

How much shelter they actually offered is still a mystery...

Felixstowe-2_78.jpg

Felixstowe-3_41.jpg

Close-ip. You can see the brass frame, with its three H-shaped parts soldered together and files + polished. The plastic "glass" has its top edge painted with green to simulate thicker glass.

Felixstowe-4_23.jpg