Ferris Camouflage Scheme on the A-7?

In the past I saw several US warplanes of the eighties with the FERRIS camouflage scheme.

Is possible to know if this scheme was applied to any A-7 Corsair of Navy or Usaf?

I think not, but not sure.

If yes, there are photos online on in books/magazines?

While there are some different camo schemes on the A-7, I have never seen the Ferris splinter scheme on a Corsair II. I looked through some of my reference books and found nothing. I know the Ferris scheme was used on the F-4 Phantom, Tomcat and a version on the F-5E and probably others. If someone nas a pic of a Corsair in this camo I would like to see it as well. Don M.

In the past I saw several US warplanes of the eighties with the FERRIS camouflage scheme.

Is possible to know if this scheme was applied to any A-7 Corsair of Navy or Usaf?

I think not, but not sure.

If yes, there are photos online on in books/magazines?

The Keith Ferris scheme. was first applied to 3 F-4J's of VF-194 in 1976. We went on WesPac in 1977 on the Coral Sea. Before returning to Miramar in September, we swapped aircraft with the Midway airwing (N's) and brought them back to ship them out to Davis-Mothan. I still snicker when I think of the fake canopy painted underneth the nose. They were a C/C nightmare. The only other squadron that used it (a somewhat modified version) to my knowledge was (I think) VF-301. Edited by Huey Gunner
The Keith Ferris scheme. was first applied to 3 F-4J's of VF-194 in 1976. We went on WesPac in 1977 on the Coral Sea. Before returning to Miramar in September, we swapped aircraft with the Midway airwing (N's) and brought them back to ship them out to Davis-Mothan. I still snicker when I think of the fake canopy painted underneth the nose. They were a C/C nightmare. The only other squadron that used it (a somewhat modified version) to my knowledge was (I think) VF-301.

I guess that fake canopy does work in dogfights. I have heard from Canadian Hornet pilots who have been told by some opponents that it did confuse them.

The only other squadron that used it (a somewhat modified version) to my knowledge was (I think) VF-301.

It appears several squadrons used them in the original schemes and didn't bother to repaint them. From the soon to be released Afterburner Decal sheet:

Ferris1a.jpg

Ferris1.jpg

Edited by David Walker

VF-1, VF-2 and VX-4 all did up some Tomcats in the "Heater-Ferris" schemes as well ...

On the USAF side, they did up some F-15s and I know the F-16XL, not sure about any regular Vipers though ...

Gregg

I looked through some of my reference books and found nothing. ***** If someone nas a pic of a Corsair in this camo I would like to see it as well. Don M.

I did the same: have here few books on the Navy's A-7s but there are no traces of Ferris Camo in the A-7....

Hi,

There's a color pic of a VA-122 A-7E (BuNo 160542 NJ/260) in Concords book "Sluf: A-7 Corsair II" by David Brown, that is in an experimental scheme that looks similar to the scheme worn by VF-301 & 302 F-4S'. That is the only Navy A-7 that I've ever seen that is in a scheme that is close to the Ferris scheme. Sorry, but I can't post a pic. HTH, Fred K.

I think if one really looks into it there were two schemes.

First was the "Ferris" scheme that was on F-15, F-4J, F-14, might have missed a couple in the late 70's.

Then in the 1980's there was the "Heatley - Ferris" scheme or "Heater - Ferris", that Afterburner has on their F-4S sheet, and spawed some look alikes and variations on the Aggressors of the day. (same guy that did "The Cutting Edge" book photography)

An interesting aside on the A-7 - did you know the Blue Angels actually preferred the A-7E when they were forced to get rid of the F-4Js in 1973? There weren't enough A-7s to go around for fleet use, so they had to 'settle' for used A-4Fs. Their first choice would have been the F-14 of course, but that was out of the question from the start in 1973.

J

I remembered seeing those pics before too in a Koku Fan, the Navy used the same Ferris colors on the 2 A-7's that f5guy found in Dave's book, the other jet was from VA-27. They had a much more rounded and feathered application of paint compared to the straight lined F-4's. HTH.

Jeff

An interesting aside on the A-7 - did you know the Blue Angels actually preferred the A-7E when they were forced to get rid of the F-4Js in 1973? There weren't enough A-7s to go around for fleet use, so they had to 'settle' for used A-4Fs. Their first choice would have been the F-14 of course, but that was out of the question from the start in 1973.

J

The F-14 was out of the question due to the energy crisis, the main reason for the switch to the A-4F was economics ...

Same with the Air Force and the T-38 T-Birds ...

Gregg

Like Ferris F-4S but other colros and very not Ferris scheme.

So other than the colors being different, and the pattern being nothing at all like a Ferris scheme, this is just like a Ferris scheme then?

;)

J

So other than the colors being different, and the pattern being nothing at all like a Ferris scheme, this is just like a Ferris scheme then?

:woot.gif:

J

Yeah! Exactly!

Your my hero of the day J!

<_<

Ferris.jpg

THIS is the original Keith Ferris paint scheme. VF-194, cica 1977. A/C # 211(not pictured), 212 and 213

Edited by Huey Gunner