Trash hauler GB Finished builds

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, looks like i'm first in the list with the Revell C-17A Globemaster 3.

This kit was started on new years day and has been worked on just about every day to get it done.

I have very mixed feelings about this kit, i found it over engineered in places, with a strange breakdown of parts.

The fuselage consists of an inner fuselage that is very well detailed, but quite awkward to put together due to parts breakdown. The undercarriage then attaches to this and then the outer fuselage goes over all of it.

The wings and tail are a very positive fit with very minimal filler needed.

Engines are good and fit well but do leave an awkward seam along the top and bottom to deal with, luckily the intakes are a seperate part so there is no awkward masking to do.

There are also a number of mistakes in the instructions with pieces wrongly numbered and shown to fit in the wrong places, sometimes only vaguely in the correct part of the plane.

The decals on the other hand are superb, settling down superbly with only Klear as a setting agent.

Overall the kit looks like the aircraft and that is what matters in the end!

I was looking forward to this kit that much i bought 2 but having built this one the other one will stay in the stash for quite a while unless there is anyone out there who wants to rehome it?

Anyway, enough ranting an on with the pictures, any comments welcome!

P.S PUT NOSE WEIGHT IN IT AS ITS A TAIL SITTER!!

P1000353.jpg

P1000354.jpg

P1000355.jpg

P1000356.jpg

Edited by antony robertson

You know you finished a kit that is not available in the USA yet..... ;) but what a superb job :D :)

I have 3 on order, 2 from LHS and one from Sprue brothers, hopefully one will get one early......

I will indicate in the model spreadsheet you completed a kit & are now eligible for raffle!

G'day Antony

Well done on your C-17 :thumbsup: ,its great to see one built. Shame I haven't got mine yet aswell .

Did you do any progress shots?

:D

Brendon

Thanks for the comments, unfortunately didnt take any pictures as was struggling to get the kit together and not throw it out of the window in the more complex parts!

Check out Mildenhall rules WIP in this group build for progress shots!

Edited by drhornii
  • 3 weeks later...

Could you tell me the shade of the grey, so I can order some Xtracolor when I order my kit from Hannants (my local store in Montreal want the equivalent of GBP47 for it!). I'll be at my UK home in a couple of weeks for a week, so I'll pick it up then.

Thanks,

Roy

Could you tell me the shade of the grey, so I can order some Xtracolor when I order my kit from Hannants (my local store in Montreal want the equivalent of GBP47 for it!). I'll be at my UK home in a couple of weeks for a week, so I'll pick it up then.

Thanks,

Roy

The grey is Halfords grey primer, which is a UK car parts and accessories store, HTH

• 3 weeks later...

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

I just located some trash(can) hauler stickers like used on the banner. If anyone wants one, contact me. I have a limited supply and since they were made back in the mid 70s for the 32nd T.A.S., when they're gone there will not be any others.

Here are my photos. Finished a couple weeks ago. A HobbyCrap CC-123 Otter. 400 squadron Downsview (Toronto) around 1978-1980.

IMGP8960.jpg

IMGP8962.jpg

Edited by phantom
  • 2 weeks later...

All done (famous last words....)

Revell did a great job but a few modifications were made along the way. Here is the "in progress" thread. Note that the Xtracrylix paint is close to the fed-std color chip and the antennas (painted using MM enamel) is much lighter (way off compared to fed-spec sample).

01.jpg

Opened troop door on RH side

05.jpg

Repositioned rudder (4 part rudder)

06.jpg

Note scratch built SATCOM type disc antennas

07.jpg

08.jpg

Edited by drhornii

Your C-17 really came out great David, it looks very impressive! I see you got it to sit on it's nose, was the nose weight you added sufficient? Also, what colours did you use for the metallic areas around the engines?

Chris

Your C-17 really came out great David, it looks very impressive! I see you got it to sit on it's nose, was the nose weight you added sufficient? Also, what colours did you use for the metallic areas around the engines?

Chris

I put 1/4 oz weight in the nose but noticed when you put the ramp down, that acts like a "prop rod". You might have to trim the ramp actuators a little or the ramp will raise the mains off the deck.

I used Magnesium Alclad for the heat shields on the wings and Duraluminum Alclad on lighter engine colors. I believe metalizer Titanium on exhaust.