Best FW-190A-8 in 1/48 or 1/72

Did a search on this and came up with nothing so if I missed it let me know.

Anyway which is the best kit in these scales and any comments on what to look out for while building them.

Thanks

Rick

The TriMaster 1/48 190A-8 is superb, although some people say the cowl assembly is a real bear to work onto the fuselage. I've never had a problem with it. As expected Tamiya kits are very good, but again, as with the 109's, the Luft experts will let you know what is wrong. For my money, when completed, the Tamiya and TriMaster kits look spot on like 190A-8's.

I haven't built one in 1/72nd.

Bon Chance.

Edited by A-4Silverfox

I've only built the 1:72 RoG A-8 but it has some issues with the shape of the cowling and also the fact that the canopy is moulded with the rear portion as part of the fuselage, not as part of the canopy.

If that doesn't worry you unduly, the RoG kit is a little gem, nice details, fits well and does, when finished "look" like an A-8 enough for most.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Trimaster/Dragon or Tamiya Fw 190s. I've heard that the Eduard kit is very nice, but somewhat fiddly to build.

I will concur whole-heartedly with that....throw in a Big Ed set and it's down-right nasty :thumbsup:

(at least for a ham-fisted brute like myself)

48th....

The Tamiya is an easy build, looks good but only comes in a coupel of flavors but since you are looking at only an A-8

that should be good.

The DMLs seem to have a bad vibe about them. I have never had much trouble with them but the molds are getting tired and fit isn't what it used to be. Use a spreader bar under the cockpit to close up the wingroot gaps.

Hasegawa - have not yet splurged but look good. Sort of an evolution of the DML linage. The A-8 is a scale down of the 32nd kit and as far as I can tell not much has been said bad about them.

Eduard - the centerpiece to a Wurger collection. I have prepainted bits in mine but have not yet decided on building it as it looks to be a long project. Much easier than an aftermarket infested super detailing job but definately not one for a quick build.

The Tamiya is my tops as it is an easy build as well as has numerous versions (3 I think) OOB including the stormgrupen version. I think Hasegawa and Eduard both need a specific boxing to get the options Tamiya gives you. Also here stateside the Tamiya is cheapest - allowing for the Eduard Weekend Edition boxing of course (same kit minus the color PE and masks). Go Big T(a) for me.

Matt

A subject near and dear to my heart...

Unfortunately we don't have a really great 190 A5-8 series in 1/72.

Hasegawa-

Pros: Fuselage shape is spot on.

Cons: Simplified surface detail, no interior to speak of, stance looks a little spindly (to my eye) when completed, price.

Revell-

Pros: Nice surface detail, nice interior, price.

Cons: Cowl is badly mis-shaped, canopy is molded closed.

My preference is Revell, but the Hasegawa is better choice for an OOB build.

Hi, in 48th Eduards 190's are the best now but be warned they ain't no shake & bake.

Hasegawa have retooled &revamped the Dragon/Trimaster 190's very good, new wings etc.

Tamiya's 190's are great kits easy to build & look great.

Dragon/trimaster up to the first two these were the best 190's out, still very good.

Monogram pro modeler re boxed Dragon.

72nd Revells are nice kits, canopy frame idea a shame as it means you can't see the nice pit.

Tamiya scaled down 48th very nice but expensive.

HTH Andy. :thumbsup:

A subject near and dear to my heart...

Unfortunately we don't have a really great 190 A5-8 series in 1/72.

Hasegawa-

Pros: Fuselage shape is spot on.

Cons: Simplified surface detail, no interior to speak of, stance looks a little spindly (to my eye) when completed, price.

Revell-

Pros: Nice surface detail, nice interior, price.

Cons: Cowl is badly mis-shaped, canopy is molded closed.

My preference is Revell, but the Hasegawa is better choice for an OOB build.

I whole heartedly concur with Mike and Matt. I have been playing with the idea of copying the Hasegawa kit's nose and grafting it onto the Revell kit which would give one the best of both. Usually the Hasegawa kits come with an extra canopy, so you could remove the molded on portion from the Revell kit and use Hasegawa's or even pick up a vac form.

Mike, did you or Chuck ever figure out Quickboost's replacement cowling piece for the Revell 190?

Never made a 48th 190, but the Hasegawa 72nd FW190 A-8 is the only game in town as far as I'm concerned. I hated the Revell kit, even though it got positive feedback from some.

In fact, I just completed Josef Prillers FW190 A-8 from Summer 1944 and it was a joy to make.

Tony

Thank you guy's.

1/72 , I will go with the Hasegawa kit because of the canopy looks good (to me) open on the FW-190.

1/48, I think I will go with the Tamiya or Hasegawa kits.I wil get both and see which one I will like.

The Eduard kit looks good,thanks for the heads up, but seems like it will take to much work for me because I get side track to easy with my main subject of USAAF fighter groups and I will never finish it.

The main reason for this question is I just got the 2 Vol. books on the JG-300 and I have not looked though them but I sure I will find a couple I want to model.

Thanks for all the input and any other comments are welcomed.

Rick

Edited by rpeck
I whole heartedly concur with Mike and Matt. I have been playing with the idea of copying the Hasegawa kit's nose and grafting it onto the Revell kit which would give one the best of both. Usually the Hasegawa kits come with an extra canopy, so you could remove the molded on portion from the Revell kit and use Hasegawa's or even pick up a vac form.

Mike, did you or Chuck ever figure out Quickboost's replacement cowling piece for the Revell 190?

Cliff,

No after hearing your thoughts on it I decided to go back to my original plan of copying the Hasegawa cowl ring.

Are you considering copying thje whole power egg or just the cowl ring?

...Mike, did you or Chuck ever figure out Quickboost's replacement cowling piece for the Revell 190?

This prompted me to get off my butt and do a comparison. I was too lazy to drag out the tripod and light booth, so this is hand held w/o flash => focus is just off but you can get the idea I think.

fw190cowlfrontpicwithcook7.jpg

Obviously for the Quickboost cowl to fit the RoG fuselage, the outside diameters have to be the same. The diameter of the cowl opening is also the same on both, however, the diameter of the front ring is greater on the Quickboost cowl. The Revell cowl tapers in moresharply then does the Quickboost cowl, resulting in the diamater of the forward ring being greater on the Quickboost item. Side by side, it is very hard to tell any difference, (no more than 1mm difference) but when placed on the fuselage, the Quickboost cowl front does look better imo.

Further to the RG 190 kit, it can be built pretty much straight from the box (the cowl issues aside). About the only aftermarket items I pick up for it (decals sets aside) would be the True Details resin seats set and, if you can find them, Cooper Details resin wheels and perhaps their propeller set.

My .02 cents worth. I just built the Eduard FW-190F-8, Accurate Minatures FW-190A-8 (actually an Eduard kit) and the Tamiya FW-190F-8. I've built the Dragon one before. For my money I will continue to build Eduard FW-190s. They are a little more complicated but the end results look so much better than anything else in 1/48th scale IMHO.

As for 1/72nd haven't a clue.

Floyd

Just out of curiosity, how do the Tamiya and Academy kits compare to the Hase and Revells in 1/72?

The Tamiya Fw 190A (1/72) is an A-3, not a late war A-8. That said, it is perhaps the best 1/72 Fw 190A available. Wish they would do a later A version as well. Hasegawa's 190As are all later versions, and the Academy Fw 190A is a joke - multiple shape errors affect the kit. In 1/72, the best choices for an A-8 are either the Revell or Hasegawa kits.

• 4 weeks later...