Etch Mate, Hold and Fold, or other?

I really don't see much difference in them except size and price. Is there a clear winner? I work exclusively in 1/48 planes and armor. If I buy a small one I may wish I had a larger one someday but I suspect the opposite is not the case. I don't see myself needing more than 4".

How about the ones made of a composite material rather than metal?

Thanks in advance

Ed

PS I hope to get back to actual building when I vent my spray booth in my new place. It involves putting a hole in the wall. Yikes! Won't happen until the weather warms up.

I really don't see much difference in them except size and price. Is there a clear winner? I work exclusively in 1/48 planes and armor. If I buy a small one I may wish I had a larger one someday but I suspect the opposite is not the case. I don't see myself needing more than 4".

How about the ones made of a composite material rather than metal?

Thanks in advance

Ed

PS I hope to get back to actual building when I vent my spray booth in my new place. It involves putting a hole in the wall. Yikes! Won't happen until the weather warms up.

I have a couple of these and a 6" etch mate. Small shop sells some nice kits that'll have everything you need.

I bought the 8" Hold n' Fold when it was the biggest and only PE folding tool on the market. Very happy with it, and happy that it is metal (not plastic). I bought the largest because even I dunno what I'll be building in 10 years, or what PE will be available. In fact, I bought the whole rig.

George, out.......................

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Mission Models 2nd Generation Etch Mate. It's "okay", but I really wish they had stayed with a metal tool. If I were going to buy one again, I'd go with one of the small shop rigs. I hear the hold more firmly and you can use them with a razor blade without gouging it. Ask how I know :rolleyes: They give you a bunch of plastic tools to bend with, but I'm always afraid I'm going to break them. Haven't yet, though.

Thanks for that link to the reviews.

I was all set to buy "The Bug", until I read about the problems the reviewer had with the smaller "fingers".

I wonder if any of the other companies' sets have the same problem?

Larry

Thanks for that link to the reviews.

I was all set to buy "The Bug", until I read about the problems the reviewer had with the smaller "fingers".

I wonder if any of the other companies' sets have the same problem?

Larry

The Bug shown in the review (including the replacement) was manufactured in the UK and submitted by Alasdair Johnston. The folding fingers on some of the Small Shop EU products were very thin and seem to be prone to the problem mentioned.

Tools manufactured in the US by The Small Shop were modified after the first production run to increase finger thickness so far in five years we have not received a single complaint or request for warranty return.

The Bug

As always, if anyone ever experiences any problems with our products or has suggestions for improvements, we would greatly appreciate you letting us know.

Edited by KPM

I bought the Hold n Fold from the inventor (RIP) - apologies for not recalling his name - at a local IPMS contest several years ago, perhaps just a couple after it first became available.

I honestly cannot recall what lies .. errr.. I mean what strategy I used to pull that out of the Household CFO... but I have never purchased ANY OTHER TOOL that has had as big of an impact on my modelling as the Hold n Fold. I no longer fear any Photo Etch (though the Eduard Slat-armour for the Stryker certainly comes close..) and my work improved 100-fold.

To be fair, I have never tried the Etch Mate, or even any other offerings from Small Shop, and that is simply because I am totally content and have full "joy" with the HnF.

I mainly work in 48th, with forays into 35th targets. I did, however, also work on my first boat that was, iirc, 700th scale and the HnF took care of the obscenely tiny PE stuff for that. I find the size to be absolutely perfect.

I doubt you could really make a bad choice, though, with any of them. :thumbsup: