1/32 Tamiya F-14B, VF-101 Grim Reapers

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Finally you did it!!! it's finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!! Il LOOOVE it!!!!

Maybe could you post bigger pics?

Anyway, congratulations!! the result worth those 8 month!!

Man, there are no word to describe the total AWESOME-NESS of this Tomcat!

You hit every detail, even the mounting holes for the MXU-611's.

I can only dream of building a Tomcat like that.

Great job, that is the best Tomcat model I've ever seen, no detail has been missed.

Reddog :thumbsup:

You hit every detail, even the mounting holes for the MXU-611's.

Reddog :salute:

Thank you sir!

I looked at a few pics of VF-101 birds underneath that were characteristically naked, and I saw a few mounting holes for the fuel tanks. Like I said before, "monkey see, monkey do". ;)

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck,

congrats on finishing this superb build! An instant ARC classic! Thx for sharing so many pics, I picked up a few things I had previously missed in your posts, such as the nicely done fuel dump, the weahered look of the yellow/brown ECM covers and the fantastic walk ways. The wing glove canvas looks incredible!

Looking forward to seeing the next project. Winter is aroundthe corner so t should be all systems go :salute:

Marcel

[quote name='Marcel111' date='Nov 8 2009, 08:27 PM' post='1844959'

Looking forward to seeing the next project. Winter is aroundthe corner so t should be all systems go :salute:

Marcel

Hey Man!,

My next project, believe it or not, is your current project- an Academy 1/32 F-18B. Not quite the same as yours, but pretty close even with mod's. I look to your build for inspiration because you "get it" with weathering.

Thanks Marcel.

[quote name='Marcel111' date='Nov 8 2009, 08:27 PM' post='1844959'

Looking forward to seeing the next project. Winter is aroundthe corner so t should be all systems go :woot.gif:

Marcel

Hey Man!,

My next project, believe it or not, is your current project- an Academy 1/32 F-18B. Not quite the same as yours, but pretty close even with mod's. I look to your build for inspiration because you "get it" with weathering.

Thanks Marcel.

The Academy two-seat Bug is a great kit. That said, the undercarriage and wheel wells are taking me forever.

I'm keen to do a Tomcat some time soon, I'll see what Trumpeter has in store for us, scribing the Tamiya kit has daunted me a little. I'll be looking to your Cat for inspiration on that one!

Cheers,

Marcel

Chuck, this is one epic build. Simply excellent stuff all around! <_<

I thought it was not long ago you decided to start this kit and now it's already been 8 months.

Congratulations on finishing the old Tamiya kit with all those extras, and many thanks for sharing your continued progress (as well as those minor mishaps and how you dealt with them) along the way. Very, very informative!

This entire thread is certainly saved as reference for my own build.

Just hope I can follow your example and actually finish my Tamiya Tomcat.

Thanks again, Chuck! :)

Cheers,

Anders

Edited by Anders_Isaksson
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up to those of you that download this thread using the forum's downloading function: only the first 15 pages are saved, the last 16-28 are not. I downloaded each one manually using my browser's "save page" command. An extra 5 min, but well worth the time. Thanks again chuck for taking the time to catalog and post your efforts of this amazing model!

Just a heads up to those of you that download this thread using the forum's downloading function: only the first 15 pages are saved, the last 16-28 are not. I downloaded each one manually using my browser's "save page" command. An extra 5 min, but well worth the time. Thanks again chuck for taking the time to catalog and post your efforts of this amazing model!

If anyone would like to just review all the build pics, they can be found here where I saved everything (along with some other builds)....

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/chuck540z3/

There's lots of pics I may not have posted like this one....

Cockpit8.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck, simply amazing. My hat's off to you sir. If my Tomcat turns out half that nice. I'll be happy. Thanks again for all your effort and posting all those step-by-step shots. They are all saved for future reference :thumbsup:

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
That green food coloring added to Future looks really good to me on the windshield ("windscreen" for our British buddies)

It was always "windscreen" on the USAF aircraft I worked on (F-4Cs, F-4Es, C-130Es and C-141Bs), never "windshield". Likewise the "dashboard" on an airplane is always called the "glareshield" in my experience.

On the F-4 the center windscreen wasn't tinted, but was made of thick glass which has slightly less transparency than the Plexiglas plastic side windscreen panels, canopies, etc. In some lighting conditions the glass center windscreen could take on a very slight blue-greenish hue, but most of the time it didn't look any different than the plastic transparencies. You had to really be paying attention to notice that when sitting in the cockpit looking out, the glass panel sometimes looked slightly darker than looking through the plastic. I have no idea if F-14s used a tinted center windscreen, perhaps they did. But after having spent five years working on F-4Cs and F-4Es I'd never tint the center windscreen on an F-4 model, though I see plenty of modelers that do.

I have one other question for the F-14 experts here. I noticed the nav lights on this model are somewhat light blue and bright red. On the aircraft I worked on the lenses were dark blue-green (a 50-50 mix of Tamaya clear blue and clear green looks right to my eye). The red lenses were likewise a darker red than what I see on the model. Does this model have correctly colored nav lights, or should they be darker and blue-green instead of blue?

Your model really looks wonderful, and I will definitely give your weathering methods a try on my F-14 when I build it. I wonder if this same method could be used with SEA dark green/medium green/tan? It'd be fun to experiment. Thanks for the inspiration!

Scott Wilson

Edited by Scott R Wilson
I have one other question for the F-14 experts here. I noticed the nav lights on this model are somewhat light blue and bright red. On the aircraft I worked on the lenses were dark blue-green (a 50-50 mix of Tamaya clear blue and clear green looks right to my eye). The red lenses were likewise a darker red than what I see on the model. Does this model have correctly colored nav lights, or should they be darker and blue-green instead of blue?

The position lights should be red (a little bit lighter then insignia red) and Beret Green, they did not have any blue tint to them.

HTH

Reddog :)