Sabre Wings Demystified

• 4 weeks later...

Be careful calling that the "F-30" wing. It applied to many more Sabres than just F's or specifically F-30s. The description "hard wing" is better, since it's the only Sabre wing without slats, so it can't be confused with anything else. This subject matter is confusing enough without further obfuscation :whistle:

J

• 2 weeks later...
Another sabre question here, what is the best kit for a Canadian Mk.5?

Julien

I'm assuming 1/72; Fujimi "Mig Killer" would work as will the Hobbycraft Mk5 boxing or the Academy kit

Tony (on holiday--en route to Oshkosh--currently in Yellowstone Nat'l Park)

Depending on the time frame of the Mk.5 you want to build, it may or may not need the sugar scoop intakes just behind the wing t/e. They were retrofitted on the RCAF's birds in around 1958-59. By then most of the first line squadrons had transitioned to the Mk.6, and would soon go to the CF-104.

J

For anyone interested in doing a narrow chord winged Sabre, found this auction on eBay for the Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D Sabre Dog kit.

Even after postage, this is still less expensive than the Scobie Doo resin wing conversion. Which, IMHO, strikes me as over priced and rather rough looking. It looks like it was cast and packaged by some guy operating out of his garage, rather than as a professionally made and marketed, quality aftermarket set. Not that you need fancy packaging, but I have seen smaller resin detail items cast much cleaner than this wing set.

For anyone interested in doing a narrow chord winged Sabre, found this on eBay for the Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D Sabre Dog kit.

Even after postage, this is still less expensive than the Scobie Doo resin wing conversion. Which, IMHO, strikes me as over priced and rather rough looking. It looks like it was cast and packaged by some guy operating out of his garage, rather than as a professionally made and marketed, quality aftermarket set. Not that you need fancy packaging, but I have seen smaller resin detail items cast much cleaner than this wing set.

However, the Hasegawa kit, like their 1/48 Sabres, has the slats molded shut. Dumb, dumb, dumb, because IMHO it ruined an otherwise jewel-like kit. While it's true that a Sabre could have its slats pushed closed when parked, as soon as you bump the airplane, start taxiing, or anything else to upset the equilibrium of the airplane, they fall open.

J

• 3 weeks later...
It looks like it was cast and packaged by some guy operating out of his garage, rather than as a professionally made and marketed, quality aftermarket set.

That cracks me up. Most aftermarket resin IS made by some guy in his garage.

bob

Edited by sierrascale

Hi All,

There are currently three kits from Hasegawa for the

Canadair Sabres.

A Mark4 with RAF markings, a Mark 5 and a Mark 6.

Ignoring that the wing slats are hard molded on all of

these kits, are the wings otherwise correct?

The Mk5 looks like is a hard edge 6'3' wing but

is the Mk4 really a narrow cord and the Mk6 a

slatted 6'3' wing??

I'd like to know people's thoughts on the wings incase

it may be betting to use other kits.

Thanks,

AK

maybe this helps a little bit, but we measured the wings of a F-86F-35 and a F-86K in the Military Museum Soesterberg

and it came out that both wings are the same

So far as I notice the F-86F has a removable section in front

SabreWings1.jpg

for so far I can see is that 6.52 cm and 13.3 cm for my 1:48 F-86K

Edited by BeeJee
Hi All,

There are currently three kits from Hasegawa for the

Canadair Sabres.

A Mark4 with RAF markings, a Mark 5 and a Mark 6.

Ignoring that the wing slats are hard molded on all of

these kits, are the wings otherwise correct?

The Mk5 looks like is a hard edge 6'3' wing but

is the Mk4 really a narrow cord and the Mk6 a

slatted 6'3' wing??

I'd like to know people's thoughts on the wings incase

it may be betting to use other kits.

Thanks,

AK

The RAF Mark 4 kit will have a 6-3 wing if I'm not mistaken---the Sabre 4s came off the Canadair factory floor with a narrow chord slatted wing but were retrofitted during their RAF time. Hasegawa does not make a narrow chord slatted wing sabre (yet).

Tony

That cracks me up. Most aftermarket resin IS made by some guy in his garage.

bob

Bob

My castings are done by Pacific Mountain Scale Shops in Saskatchewan. Allen dose great work, and works for a number of out fits in the US and Canada. No I don`t cast in the garage there is not enough time in my life for that.

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd chip in here with some pic's of my conversion from "6-3" slatted - to "narrow chord slatted", for my RAF 234 Sqn F4 using the Academy 1/72nd kit.

The orihginal conversion appeared in a 1989 edition of the Airfix magazine, in which David Howley used the then new Hobbycraft kit (which is I understand the same plastic as in the Academy kits....)

I used this kit.....

IMG_1696.jpg

And general self explanatory pic's of progress on the wing. This includes removing a scale 6" from the root and 3" from the tip. Thats 2mm & 1mm.....

IMG_1693.jpg

Leading edges removed. The pen line is the next cut line.

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

..and here the wings are on..

IMG_1743.jpg

Thought I'd chip in here with some pic's of my conversion from "6-3" slatted - to "narrow chord slatted", for my RAF 234 Sqn F4 using the Academy 1/72nd kit.

The original conversion appeared in a 1989 edition of the Airfix magazine, in which David Howley used the then new Hobbycraft kit (which is I understand the same plastic as in the Academy kit

Looking good Bill--I didn't bother cutting my lower wing, I just sanded it to shape, most of it will be under the slats anyway. As a result, I lost the locations of the slat rails.

I put in a styrene strip to get rid of the gigantic step at the slat well. Next on the list is to notch the wingtips and install clear sprue for the nav lights--different than the Canadair's as this will be a F86A.

SabreAconversion003.jpg

SabreAconversion005.jpg

Cheers, Tony

• 1 month later...
Jennings,

You need to correct your 6-3 wing drawing as it shows the aileron ending before the wing tip (similar to the F-40 wing). It should go all the way out to the end of the wing like the early narrow slatted wing and the later Saber 6 slatted 6-3 wing.

http://f-86.tripod.com/wings.html

Steve

I can't figure out why the JPG looks like that, because the original Illustrator file has the line there! For some odd reason, when I exported it, it lost that part of that one line. Very odd. I've been too lazy to fix it :thumbsup:

J

• 1 month later...

The more that I look at all the work that people are doing on various F-86 wing conversions, it seems to me that the original kits may all have the chord of the aileron too short (at least on the upper surface). This is an F-86A wing at Udvar Hazy. Look at the chord of the aileron vs. the chord of the flap. The chord of the aileron at the wingtip accounts for a third of the chord of the wing. This would change some on a 6-3 wing, but that wouldn't change the difference of chords at the flap/aileron junction. Have the kits all got it wrong?

sabrewing.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The more that I look at all the work that people are doing on various F-86 wing conversions, it seems to me that the original kits may all have the chord of the aileron too short (at least on the upper surface). This is an F-86A wing at Udvar Hazy. Look at the chord of the aileron vs. the chord of the flap. The chord of the aileron at the wingtip accounts for a third of the chord of the wing. This would change some on a 6-3 wing, but that wouldn't change the difference of chords at the flap/aileron junction. Have the kits all got it wrong?

Found an answer here; http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/p86_2.html

"The 282nd F-86A aircraft had a redesigned wing trailing edge with shorter chord aileron and greater elevator boost"

In the same page, it answered another query I had(and was going to ask for help with). It concerned the fact that in all my photos of the starboard wing of the Silver Sabres F86As, I could not see the cranked pitot tube. I wondered what I should do with my model and where it was actually located if not on the stbd wingtip.

"All F-86As were initially delivered with the pitot head located inside the air intake duct. It was found in practice that false airspeed readings could be obtained due to the increased airflow within the intake duct, so North American decided to move the pitot head to the tip of a short boom that extended from the leading edge of the starboard wingtip. All F-86As were later retrofitted with the wingtip boom when went through IRAN (Inspect and Repair as Necessary). "

So I'm happy now--I'll put a small pitot in the intake duct--now to find pics of that ??? The search continues...

Tony

Have to check the serial number of the airframe to get the aileron correct then :whistle: . I'll look through the references that I have to see if I can find that nose pitot, but I feel a trip down to Udvar-Hazy to get detail photos of every inch of that F-86A coming on.

• 1 month later...
Nope. Hasegawa is it.

J

Didn't Revell rebox the Hasegawa -40 kit as the 'CL-13 Sabre Mk 6' (#04562) or is that another mold? If it is the same plastic then it would be a slightly cheaper option.

:thumbsup:

Edited by rcaf_100