Italeri 1:72 F-22 Raptor

Thanks NImrob and Jack-Swiss for your kind comments.... ok so where do we left the raptor... ah ok....main weapons bay... let's do it.... I have to correct the broad intake extension with two split smaller ones, add some details in between and structural ribs...

P7020004.jpg

P7020003.jpg

Meanwhile I was doing it I respect the space neccesary for the six retracted weapon pylons in the center of the bay constantly dryfitting them to check the progress...

P7060005.jpg

P7060007.jpg

A view of the complete dryfitting...

P7060006.jpg

Now let's wire the bird... this would take a while so see you next time

Greetings

Antonio

• 2 weeks later...

OK... first thank you for your support fox, I'm glad you'll enjoy my work. Now let's see what can be done with the landing gear... first let's see the reference material and later the work done...

diagrama-raptor.jpg

rueda-rapto-2.jpg

rueda-rapto-1.jpg

Ok now the 1:72 raptor...

P8020074.jpg

P8040072.jpg

P8040073.jpg

P8040074.jpg

P8040075.jpg

P8040076.jpg

This is all for now... I must finnish the struts and attach them to the bays and fix the brake lines...

Greetings

Antonio

• 2 weeks later...

OK... next stage struts.... this is the final result from the main landing gear structs...before painting.... hope you'll like them

P8070072.jpg

P8070073.jpg

P8070074.jpg

P8070075.jpg

P8070076.jpg

P8070077.jpg

P8070078.jpg

And an xtra for last minute... the APU (Auxilary Power Unit)

P8260082.jpg

P8260081.jpg

Greetings

Antonio

WOW, nice to see your work in progress Antonio..!

and very pleased to meet another Venezuelan modeler here..

regards.-

Thanks dude... I'm at your service here in caracas for any beer or some....

Antonio

amazing work, really :thumbsup:

Thanks Rocat...

Ok Now the painting job begins... Still many things to finnish detailing but I think it's time to put some colors on this raptor.... What do you think?

First the waepons and gear bays... they go in flat white...

P8240076.jpg

P8240075.jpg

Main lines in black...

P8240077.jpg

Then darkened a little bit with very diluted black to add some shadows...

P8250078.jpg

And finnally outline main details in white again... this gives a dramatic touch to the bays...

P8250079.jpg

Repeating this process in all the other bays and gear wells this is the final result, a very well defined shadows and highlights in all details...

P8250080.jpg

Greetings

Antonio

Start with basics, I work on this airframe as a weapons load crew member. The m61 you modeled is extremely detailed, but is the m61a1 with the rear plate fitting another fighter.

In the research posts before you made the gun, you put up a photocopied picture of the gun system for the F-22, most of the details you should try to pull from that.

The plate at the aft of the breech is flat with a single hole in the middle. normally the entire gun system is covered by what is referred to as a banjo panel, but I'm guessing you're going for the gun test shot look.

the 2 things you're really missing from it besides all that is a muzzle support sleeve and, my terminology isn't the greatest, but there is a gun port with an oblong slot where the rounds acutally leave the barrels and the plane itself. This plate sits underneath the gun port door when it's closed.

The APU exhaust looks pretty good, the inlet (toward front of plane) only opens about 45 degrees or so as opposed to the exhaust's 90. it's also ported a bit, taking no air from the exhaust side, almost like a sort of wall is attached to the underside of the door.

The conformal rail launchers... this'll be a bit fun... the hydraulic actuator extends directly from the weapons bay to the launcher itself, not to either of the arms. the rail side of it is bare gray metal, while the rest is painted a brilliant white with a great many bolt heads along the sides.

f22_29.jpg

the AVEL's look quite a bit off... they're rather flat on the bottom:

U1335P27T1D433002F3DT20070301080206.jpg

I'm guessing you just haven't gotten to them yet, they're odd to say the least.

hope to help more, just ask.

Edited by ultratorrent
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments ultratorrent... invaluable your expertice and help in this project thank you very much... If you don't mind I'll ask you some questions in order to increase the accuracy of my model...

Yes I'm planning to do the aircraft in maintenance with all the gun panels removed for service. Are these the accurate pictures of the gun?

M61A2f-22cannondiagram.jpg

m61a2.jpg

41.jpg

568865396_44ab2c1d06_o.jpg

This is the only picture I have of the gun bay... If you don't get in trouble, could you send me a diagram or a draw of the gun's mount?

cannonbay.jpg

About the trapeze launcher, yes I notice it and It's still pending to be finished.... By the way what do you think of the model so far?

Antonio

• 1 month later...

Antonio (and nemo) since I am starting the new F-22 from Academy, I am following your work with interest. Have you got any more photos of the gun bay in your models???