Hasegawa's new Raptor

Those raised panels have me concerned. The full intakes are nice, but the potential seams on those things are a nightmare. There's some wierd sink marks on the back of the fuselage, right above the louvered parts. They almost look like the plastic was "pinched." Hasegawa really went out of their way to make sure the halves of this thing are aligned. I can count 16 alignment pins, and what's with all that internal structure? What's that piece just on top of the nose gear well? Could those interior parts over the pylon attachment points indicate polycaps to attach the external hardpoints?

I'm still getting one. It looks pretty sweet.

Edited by RedHeadKevin

I like the intakes

The fit looks pretty good. Just a supposition, but they look like they could save a few hours of work.

Although those of us with the Acad F-22 need some support in this area.

Looking at TwoMikes here.

Edited by Av8fan

Waco,

Good points. Full length is not necessary

I should have clarified my statement. Easier to build/install intakes.

IIRC, the Acad intakes can be a bit difficult?

I have to say that the area behind the weapons bay looks like you could grate cheese with those lines.

Ah heck who am I kidding I will probably mess up the F-22 when I get to it.

Regards.

Edited for spelling. Not enough caffeine.

Further Edit for correction. Sheesh

Edited by Av8fan

I honestly hope that these are pics of the Anime boxing and there are less exaggerated fuselage parts in the production boxings. Of course I could be wrong and these are the start of a new Egg Plane like line from Hasegawa. With their penchant for fidelity of detail and accuracy I am hard pressed to believe they would put these fuselages in a production aircraft boxing. Naturally I could be wrong.

Could it be that these are test shots, subject to revision? Or maybe some sort of funky lighting to emphasize the surface detail in the photographs? It's not impossible, but I'd be surprised if Hasagawa mints that as the final product.

Edited by Fishwelding

Honestly, I'll never understand how these guys make their marketing decisions. Why on earth you build a second release of the same kit when there is a very acceptable, very modern, nicely tooled kit available baffles me. Quite frankly, unless Hasegawa makes one that actually flies, they're going to have a hard time convincing me to throw extra dollars at another Raptor kit when the Academy one was quite nice. I'd much rather they'd thrown their R&D dollars elsewhere.

New tooled, 1/48 Russian fighters, perhaps? MiG-25/31?

Edited by Waco
I like the intakes

The fit looks pretty good. Just a supposition, but they look like they could save a few hours of work.

Although those of us with the Acad F-22 need some support in this area.

Looking at TwoMikes here.

I think you will find that SH Resin will be all over updates for the Academy Raptor. Mike V and Curt Stidham are all over it!! I can't wait to see what they release.

I think you will find that SH Resin will be all over updates for the Academy Raptor. Mike V and Curt Stidham are all over it!! I can't wait to see what they release.

Considering their logo, I guess they better find a niche market in the F-22 line! :bandhead2:

I don't know why in the heck you'd need full length (or almost full length) intakes on a jet where you can't even see that far down the intakes. The Academy ones are short, to be sure, but I think it'd be an easier fix to lengthen those than it will be to pay H-gawa prices for those full length things.

Having done some work to lengthen the Academy intakes, (even in a half-@$$ed way,) I'm really glad to see that Hasegawa's made the intakes deeper.

Thanks for the info Mr. Reeves.

I completely missed the SH thread posted on the 10th.

Well, I do not know what to think regarding the kit. Why would they have an anime F-22 and an F-22 with lines that are much less pronounced?

Maybe it is just a tease?

Since Hasagawa is going to charge more than the Air Force paid for the real thing, if there's even mild flaws, with the Academy kit available , they're going to be essentially selling to fanboys only. That's a considerable population, but probably not enough so that someone at Hasagawa isn't fired over the whole mess.

Me? Still waiting, like Linus for the Great Pumpkin, for Revell to finally produce an F-15E-quality F-22 kit in quarter-inch. :bandhead2:

Edited by Fishwelding

Come on guys, those of you who are saying they are over-accented for the anime release are fooling yourselves. No company is going to tool up two distinct fuselages, one for reality and the other for fantasy when the fantasy jet just has different decals slapped to it. If this stuff makes it to the anime release, it will make it to the standard production kit UNLESS there is enough of a backlash that Hasegawa has to do an 11th hour retooling before the second kit hits (not likely).

I'll still keep mine on order. If it is this over-accented on the production model I can always do something different with it (development and test bird perhaps) and save my Academy kits for the squadron line birds. One can probably reduce the appearance of the raised areas by a couple layers of primer I would think, although then you run the risk of clogging the panel lines.