Trumpeter 1/32 F-14D

The cockpit side walls should be light grey, not green.

Reddog

Also, there is no gap in the instrument panel.

I'll definitely fix the IP gap. As for the side walls, I know the green is not very accurate, but I kind of like the way it contrasts with the black/grey cockpit. I may stick with the green depending on how I feel in the next couple days. Thanks for the input, though.

Ahhhh...Trumpeter, you're killin' me here. I KNEW it :wub:!

BTW, what did you use just above the landing light to wrap those wires? Looks really good!

Thanks. It was just a strip of wine bottle foil. I'll probably end up painting over it, though.

Cheers,

Terry

Edited by loftycomfort

A minor update.

For those interested, this is how I patched the right side gap on the IP.

First a piece of stock styrene was glued and puttied:

tomcat36.jpg

Now sanded:

tomcat38.jpg

Stretched sprue was added to extend the ribbing:

tomcat39.jpg

Now painted:

tomcat40.jpg

I also added an extra spring mechanism on the nose gear's scissor links:

tomcat37.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Terry

i love your build man! the harder the better! i won't complain with this kit, here its already been sold a lot, hobbyist touring the country or Fil-Ams (Filipino American) hobbyist got it here, nothing like a good relative back home.

Some progress to report.

The nose gear well was finished and installed in one of the nose halves. Some shaving of plastic was needed in order to fit, but it wasn't very difficult at all.

tomcat41.jpg

Hours have been spent on dry fitting the cockpit, and hours more still need to be spent to get everything fitted together. The front cockpit is now glued to the nose half. For those who are interested in using the Avionix pit on this kit, make sure you use the kit's cockpit as a guide when positioning your resin pit.

tomcat42.jpg

Here's the windscreen on top. Fit is alright considering the coaming is not "native". There's a small gap at the front, but should be easy to take care if.

tomcat43.jpg

I'm still working on dry fitting the RIO's pit, which has proven to be more problematic because it gets in the way of the kit's rear deck. The Avionix rear deck is way too small so I'm not gonna use it. Here is show the gaps:

tomcat44.jpg

When all is glued together, this PE piece from Eduard is supposed to go over the top and cover all the gaps. Again, I foresee this will be another challenge.

tomcat45.jpg

With all these resin pieces, kit pieces, and PE (none of which were designed to work with each other), this is becoming one of my most difficult builds so far. It'll get better (or worse??) when the Aires F-14D exhausts show up in the mail. :-)

Cheers,

Terry

doing some nice work on your cat I have been keeping an eye on your progress

keep up the good work

Some progress to report.

The nose gear well was finished and installed in one of the nose halves. Some shaving of plastic was needed in order to fit, but it wasn't very difficult at all.

tomcat41.jpg

Hours have been spent on dry fitting the cockpit, and hours more still need to be spent to get everything fitted together. The front cockpit is now glued to the nose half. For those who are interested in using the Avionix pit on this kit, make sure you use the kit's cockpit as a guide when positioning your resin pit.

tomcat42.jpg

Here's the windscreen on top. Fit is alright considering the coaming is not "native". There's a small gap at the front, but should be easy to take care if.

tomcat43.jpg

I'm still working on dry fitting the RIO's pit, which has proven to be more problematic because it gets in the way of the kit's rear deck. The Avionix rear deck is way too small so I'm not gonna use it. Here is show the gaps:

tomcat44.jpg

When all is glued together, this PE piece from Eduard is supposed to go over the top and cover all the gaps. Again, I foresee this will be another challenge.

tomcat45.jpg

With all these resin pieces, kit pieces, and PE (none of which were designed to work with each other), this is becoming one of my most difficult builds so far. It'll get better (or worse??) when the Aires F-14D exhausts show up in the mail. :-)

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you enjoy this.

Finally, the nose halves have been closed. It took me almost a month to get here, phew!

tomcat46jpg.jpg

The fit of the rear deck isn't so hot. There're also BIG gaps between the resin side walls and the nose halves.

tomcat47jpg.jpg

Remember the U-shaped piece of photo-etch that was suppose to go over the cockpit ledges and the rear deck? It's shaped for the Tamiya kit and doesn't fit the Trumpeter kit that well. I had to cut the U into three pieces to fit them over over the Tomcat, which conveniently covered all the gaps on the side walls and the rear deck. Now I need to use CA glue to blend in the PE with the plastic.

tomcat48jpg.jpg

I think I mentioned on both sides of the front coaming are two gaping holes. These are filled with plastic sheet.

tomcat49jpg.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Terry

The really cool thing for me is that you have all these challenges, but you find some really good effective ways to fix them. I'm having a few myself on my current build, believe me, but it's nice to know that there are always ways around these difficulties. Anybody can do a pretty good job. You are doing an excellent job. Keep it up!

Edited by chuck540z3

I haven't closed the nose yet either. But I'm getting there, probably later today. Been spending some time on the intake tubes. Lots of issues there, but nothing that cannot be solved. My desk is now covered in grey residu, due to the wet sanding. Be prepared to get dirty.