Trumpy Mig 23 on IPMS Philippines

• 2 weeks later...

It seems they didn't correct the intakes. They are too boxy on the kit. Otherwise I'm pretty convinced this will be the best Flogger kit ever made. Shame about the small picture size and those watermarks.

I'm always excited when Trump puts out a new Russki jet. And, this...in 32nd scale is really something. Sure, they have their patented shape issues but modeling skills are what makes them go away. Some are more glaring than others and that's unfortunate. Almost as if they don't carefully study the photos before they cut metal. Perhaps it comes down to individual skills of the engineers at the factory but even with that, New MiGs and Sukhois for us to ogle at are pretty cool.

I second the 1/32 F-106. A long-wanted dream. It'd be about the size of the 1/48 B-58 from Mono-Vell. It's certainly do-able. And as an icon of the USAF Air Defense Command for so many years, and with so many colorful markings options...I'm surprised it has never been done in that scale. But, I waited for the big A-10...then the big F-100, and they came to be so maybe the F-106 is not too far away. At least in my lifetime.

The images look pretty distorted and low-res so it's hard to make any definite conclusions (but, the front intakes are very unlike MiG-23 and the front canopy's front plate should also be rounding in closer towards the front).

This could be due to the lens distortion, but the main canopy looks a bit bulged in the middle of the profile and the spine seems to be rounded in the side profile behind the canopy and coming down on the canopy instead of being an almost straight line til the middle of the main canopy (which would make the canopy look bulged). There is something weird about the radome and the nose from the side, also. It's like the part between the canopy and the radome is a bit too long and that the bottom part of the nose seems to be rising up to the radome instead of being in a straight line which kinda makes the radome too small in diameter judging from the side photo!?

Hopefully, some better photos will be available, but front part of the thing in these distorted photos somehow misses to have that specific MiG-23 appearance.

Edited by ijozic

You're right that there appears to be something wrong on the model on some of the areas mentioned but I was - and still am - hoping it's because of the distorted and otherwise crappy lo-res photos.

I really want something better for the final verdict. I soooo would like this to be a good kit...

You're right that there appears to be something wrong on the model on some of the areas mentioned but I was - and still am - hoping it's because of the distorted and otherwise crappy lo-res photos.

I really want something better for the final verdict. I soooo would like this to be a good kit...

WE ALL DO...

its a bit strange to see a ML in preproduction... while it's the MF that come out first! (i know they'll do the ML too... but later)

and i really hope that pics are distorted by camera lens...

but there's surely something wrong in the canopy area... hope it's not the same guys who done the 1/48 su-24 that does this one...

(windsheild oval seems too wide...) is the nozzle of the right diameter? seems like stabs look too wides...(when copared to nozzle diameter)

one thing for sure:

if i was lucky enough to get some pre-production stuff in my hands... I SURELY TAKE BETTER PHOTOS! (and not mounting bombs under the belly of a ML... tough i'm happy to see they furbish underbelly fuel tank...)

none of them shows the entire model!

the model look less distorted when pictures are taken from a greater distance....

Edited by mingwin
hi guys!

better pics coming later.. bandwidth issues... :woot.gif:

I think the canopy looks alright to me, kinda of slightly longish. However, is Trumpeter going to release the MLD version which is the ultimate version of the Mig-23?

Edited by Jeff

So, just what is wrong with a decent 1/48 scale MiG-23?!

Thousands of them used around the world, some still in service. Licensed built and powerful, able to handle rough fields, a gazillion different schemes - and the list of attributes goes on.

And what do we have in 1/48? The arcane ESCI/Italeri/Hobbycraft/? version.

SO what's coming out from Trumpeter? A Flogger the size of an average child? That thing has enough oil in the plastic alone to fuel a small car. The quantity of sprues makes me dizzy and dear God... where would I put it?

I'm glad to see yet another interesting offering to the world of scale modeling, so thanks, Trumpeter - it really is appreciated.

(even if my guess is it will probably cost a C-note or more).

But, hey, you guys over there in China. Yoohoo!

Can't you offer a modern grade Flogger in 1/48? at a price that is down here where most of us mere mortals live. Somebody?

Pretty please?

Edited by dahut
I think the canopy looks alright to me, kinda of slightly longish. However, is Trumpeter going to release the MLD version which is the ultimate version of the Mig-23?

You see how the front of the wing glove half part is trunkated here ? This suggests that the MLD dog tooth could be put here.

Edited by Laurent
You see how the front of the wing glove half part is trunkated here ? This suggests that the MLD dog tooth could be put here.

I hope they can also fix the intakes by time the MLD version comes. I'd like to buy several versions (MF, too), but the scale is just too big to have several of them :whistle:

I tell you what would be nice

A MiG 25 in 1/32, maybe with Revell doing the product.

I would take a 1/32 F-106 no matter who built it!

What we really want is an F-111! It's wont be much bigger than an F-14 and think of all the versions they could pull from a few mold changes. Even an F-111B! Be still my beating heart!!

I think we will see one within the next five years!

Some (possible) issues I noticed while looking at these photos and the photos on the 4+ MiG-23 book. And tried to play with my 1 year old kid at the same time...

Apart from the intakes this is what I found:

-canopy *is* bulbuos. It shouldn't be.

-windscreen. There's something wrong with the shape.

-spine. I was going to say the spine is too round, but it probably isn't.

-splitter plates. Isn't the foremost part, the "lip" a bit too long?

-intakes on both sides of vertical stab. A bit too high and prominent?

-bullet shaped fairings on both sides of the stab. They appear to be a bit too shallow and lame and also the "ventral fin" under it near the rear tip (where the parachute pops out)has a wrong shape.

-nose. Got to be too pointy/undernourished.

Also, this being an ML, isn't the whole stance of the kit on the ground more like on the MF, ie. nose up and tail down? On ML it should be more horizontal.

On the other hand, for example the IP looks pretty nice. Look, I was being positive! :thumbsup:

EDIT: I think even the whole overall outline, the wings and the fuselage look pretty ok to me. Hard to say.

Another EDIT to make this more understandable...

Edited by janman

Considering that there's no accurate injection molded Flogger in ANY scale, it's a small miracle we will have one in 1/32 scale. Since the promises for us 1/72 dudes (KP and the other pretty recent one, the name of which escapes me) still aren't fulfilled, it seems this is the best option we'll have at the moment. And I stress the word "seems".

Also, let's face it, we'll never have another 1/32 scale kit of this beautiful aircraft. That means I'll probably get one (be it a '23 or '27, which actually somehow looks better). But only if other and more serious issues won't come up.

-canopy *is* bulbuos. It shouldn't be.

Yep. http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/isaac_..._005_of_120.jpg

-windscreen. There's something wrong with the shape.

I haven't looke at the shape but Trumpeter has put a frame at the base of the windscreen when there isn't one: http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/isaac_..._007_of_120.jpg

thank you Nird551!

we all appreciate that you've post thoses (really) better pics!

have to say that you've done a really nice job on this built!(understanding the urge to built, when getting something that special in your hands!)

overall silhouette of the kit seems acceptable to me... even if all noticed mis-shapes issues are real!

let's hope that when they'll do the 27's and the BN, they'll follow what they do on the prototyping stages...

Edited by mingwin