With all the Canonites on this board...

I've had it with Nikon Service :rofl: . They charged my wife $150.00 to fix her P80 on the assumption that she dropped it. I'm so sick and tired of Nikon's money-grabbing service. I've had it. I'm switching brands. I'm selling ALL...I mean ALL my Nikon gear and switching to a Canon 40D!!!! Yes, you finally won me over, Canon!!!!

Edited by The_Animal
I've had it with Nikon Service :rofl: . They charged my wife $150.00 to fix her P80 on the assumption that she dropped it. I'm so sick and tired of Nikon's money-grabbing service. I've had it. I'm switching brands. I'm selling ALL...I mean ALL my Nikon gear and switching to a Canon 40D!!!! Yes, you finally won me over, Canon!!!!
Welcome to the side of "The Force Luke"
I've had it with Nikon Service :wub: . They charged my wife $150.00 to fix her P80 on the assumption that she dropped it. I'm so sick and tired of Nikon's money-grabbing service. I've had it. I'm switching brands. I'm selling ALL...I mean ALL my Nikon gear and switching to a Canon 40D!!!! Yes, you finally won me over, Canon!!!!

Ok, Surely this is an April fools joke. I've always heard, if you want to shoot a ship, then buy a Canon. But if you want to shoot photographs, buy a Nikon. :rofl:

Sorry, just a friendly jab at the canonites. Don't get bent outa shape.

Bill

I have Canon gear and have been very happy with it. I have also used their service and it has been exceptional for me. That said, every company is going to make service decisions that are wrong or don't please some of their customers, so I don't think switching to Canon will make you immune from this sort of thing. I've heard other Canon owners complain of service issues, so I doubt there's any company you can use to avoid it. Switching systems can be expensive and a hassle, so I'm not really sure it would be worth it.

If you do switch, and have any Canon questions, feel free to ask, though, and good luck!

Edited by Ken Cartwright

Yeah, yeah...I know...Like an AT-AT on Hoth, you probably saw this one coming from 20 miles away. :jaw-dropping:

emp_palpatine_afd.jpg

DNikon.jpg

Yeah, my wife still got dinged $150.00 to repair her P80, but well...would that make me switch? NEVER!!!! BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...~evil sith lord type laughter~

Edited by The_Animal

g0, all depends on what you consider canonical in the Star Wars universe. If you don't believe that anythng past the movies were canonical, then the light side won. On the other hand, if you believe that the Star Wars books were canon (as licensed by George Lucas) then you'll know that Star Wars Legacy,

chancellorpalpatine.jpg

THE SITH...RISE AGAIN!!!!

And the Jedi Knights are barely holding their own.

Hmmm...sounds familiar...*cough* D3X vs. 1Ds Mk IV (vaporware). "I'm sure this battlestation will be quite operational when your FRIENDS arrive..."

Sorry to hear you had those difficulties. I do understand your dissatisfaction. :thumbsup:

I've shot Nikon for 40+ years beginning with an F. That F is still in service and will be

until they stop making film for it. I also own an F3, F4s, and a D1x as well as other

models. None have had service other than routine cleanings. I have a Nikkormat FTn

that survived a 20 foot drop. The prism housing on that one sits at an odd angle, but

the camera works perfectly. I will give up my Nikons when they pry 'em from my

cold, dead fingers.

I have been a happy Canon user for buncha years. However, their service center works about like Nikon and makes large charges for repairs. Fortunately, I've only needed them twice over about 10 years. I'm pretty hard on cameras and such, though.

Also use Canon printer/scanner and Canon film cameras (though, less and less) with fine results.

Rick in Maine

I bought my first Nikon, an F Photomic, in Saigon in 1966 and have taken a gazillion pictures with it since then. I had to send it back for service only once and was pleased with the turn around time and price. I have two rather cheap, Nikon DSLRs that I am considering upgrading to a D-90 or D-3000.

Darwin

I bought my first Nikon, an F Photomic, in Saigon in 1966 and have taken a gazillion pictures with it since then. I had to send it back for service only once and was pleased with the turn around time and price. I have two rather cheap, Nikon DSLRs that I am considering upgrading to a D-90 or D-3000.

Darwin

Between the D90 and D3000, I'd get the D90. If you prefer the smaller size DSLR, get the D5000 which is a generation newer than the D3000.

Between the D90 and D3000, I'd get the D90. If you prefer the smaller size DSLR, get the D5000 which is a generation newer than the D3000.

yeah? So what is a difference between D3000 and D5000 other than the later has a moving LCD and ability to shoot video?

Just remember that if you have a D3000 or D5000, you have no autofocus motor in the body and you have to buy only AF-S lenses (which have the motor in the lens). The AF lenses that you purchase end up becoming manual-focus lenses as they are not equipped with built-in auto-focus motors. In that regards, it's a better deal to get the D90 if you're planning on having a mix of AF and AF-S lenses.

For example, my 50mm f/1.8 AF D lens would not be an autofocus lens on a D3000 or D5000, but because I use it on a D50 which has an autofocus motor built in to the body; I have AF capability.

Darwin, since you have Nikon lenses from back yay when...you might want to go D90 as opposed to a smaller frame Nikon DSLR. You might want to keep the autofocus capability if you have any of the older AF lenses.

Edited by The_Animal

Thanks for the tips, guys. I am still trying to make up my mind as to which camera I will buy. The lens compatibility with the various bodies is something I had not considered. I have Nikkor, 35mm, 50mm and 135mm manual focus only lenses for my F which are most likely not compatible with modern cameras. I would not be surprised if they would not even physically mate up with the new bodies. I bought them in 1966 at the same time I got the body, so they are truly dinosaurs.

Darwin

Darwin:

You might be surprised, I had an old manual focus 50mm f2.0 that fit on my D80 - take your lenses to a camera store and ask to see if they fit.

Now of course, they'll want to sell you newer lenses..... :woot.gif:

Good to see you here again, Darwin. Been thinking of you.

ANIMAL - are you seriously considering liquidating your Nikon DSLR and lenses? I had to sell my D80 back last August, financial reasons, but I'm in the market again for another Nikon D, maybe a D80, D200, whatever I can find.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I am still trying to make up my mind as to which camera I will buy. The lens compatibility with the various bodies is something I had not considered. I have Nikkor, 35mm, 50mm and 135mm manual focus only lenses for my F which are most likely not compatible with modern cameras. I would not be surprised if they would not even physically mate up with the new bodies. I bought them in 1966 at the same time I got the body, so they are truly dinosaurs.

Darwin

Unless you've had the AI conversion on those old Nikkor's you can't use them on a new Nikon DSLR at all I think, at the most you'd be limited to stop down metering

I've had it with Nikon Service :soapbox: . They charged my wife $150.00 to fix her P80 on the assumption that she dropped it. I'm so sick and tired of Nikon's money-grabbing service. I've had it. I'm switching brands. I'm selling ALL...I mean ALL my Nikon gear and switching to a Canon 40D!!!! Yes, you finally won me over, Canon!!!!

you ARE?

WHOA!!!!