OT- Legendary Heavy Metal Vocalist RONNIE JAMES DIO Dies - May 16, 201

Wendy Dio, wife/manager of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW), has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45 a.m. [on Sunday] 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private goodbyes before he peacefully passed away.

"Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all.

"We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us.

"Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss.

"Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=140129

That's too bad. I liked his work with Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and his solo stuff when I was younger. The dude could sing like no other.

Alby

Edited by Albert Moore

This came as quite a shock. He never was my number one idol or anything, but I've listened Sabbath and Rainbow and kinda liked his very distinctive voice.

Rest in piece, Dio. A true heavy metal legend is gone.

That's rough, one of the great voices in rock and roll. Loved everything he did from Rainbow to Sabbath to his solo stuff. Saw him with Iron Maiden and Motorhead several years ago and he put on a great show.

You know Andre that is sort of how I came to like alot of the metal guys. The interviews and Behind the Musics on VH1 stateside got me to appreciate these guys. They all seemed to be funny and intelligent, versus most of the 'pop' singers that would have interviews (like George Michael...) who seemed a.) not too bright and b.) totally unable to laugh at themselves.

Even Ozzy has a certain goofy charm that comes across (when you can understand him!)

I am a huge fan of Ronnie's work since Rainbow and saw him several times. I will miss him forever.

Here is an awesome benifit compilation of the best axe men he put together. Enjoy. MP

Rock on Ronnie. !

Edited by GForceSS

Ronnie James Dio passed away this morning at about 7:45 this morning, from Elf, Rainbow, Sabbath and his solo carrer he was a Great singer, you will be missed but now you are playing at the great arena in the Heavens, RIP Ronnie James Dio.

Radio station I was listening to this morning said he isn't dead yet. Feels like going for a walk. Kind of like when they said Gordon Lightfoot was dead (he isn't either) a couple months ago.

edit, now they say he is dead.

Edited by phantom

Well I thought that other thread was a bit short for the number of metalheads in here.

"Looks like Dime, Randy, Cliff and Bonzo just scored the ultimate singer." - Mike Portnoy

(and Frank Frazetta can do the album cover)

RIP RJD \m/

Radio station I was listening to this morning said he isn't dead yet. Feels like going for a walk. Kind of like when they said Gordon Lightfoot was dead (he isn't either) a couple months ago.

Well..... he ain't walking on this old world anywhere.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/ronnie-james-dio/news/--62001717

Godspeed, Ronnie.

You know Andre that is sort of how I came to like alot of the metal guys. The interviews and Behind the Musics on VH1 stateside got me to appreciate these guys. They all seemed to be funny and intelligent, versus most of the 'pop' singers that would have interviews (like George Michael...) who seemed a.) not too bright and b.) totally unable to laugh at themselves.

Even Ozzy has a certain goofy charm that comes across (when you can understand him!)

Yup. Have you seen the documentary Metal: A Headbanger's Journey? Highly remommended, with some good and funny bits from Dio as well.

Like I said, apart from a few songs I don't go that much for metal, but 1) I'm aware of it, 2) my own theory is that each genre has good and.. eh.. not so good stuff in it, and 3) that doc is damn good and fascinating even (or perhaps especially) for non-fans.

And just for his bit in Tenacious D's "The Pick Of Destiny" you can tell that Dio had a pretty good sense of humour regarding himself.

Cheers,

Andre