ADC Grey Thunderchiefs

One of the many modelling projects I have in mind is the Republic F-105 Thunderchief. Being a prolific Century Series hoarder I have several Revellogram 1/48th F-105F/G kits in the stash as well as one F-105D and I am interested to know what options exist for making an ADC grey painted 'Thud'.

I have seen two such 'Thuds' during my various visits to the USA:

Camp Robinson AR: Camp Robinson Thud

Denver Lowry CO: Denver Lowry Thud

In my opinion the Camp Robinson 'Thud' wears a spurious colour scheme, to the best of my knowledge the AR ANG never operated the 'Thud' and this scheme is at best fiction. The Denver 'Thud' looks more realistic however she has no unit markings whatsoever so again I am left puzzling regards her colour authenticity.

I have several 'Thud' books as sources and only Bert Kinzey 'Jet Fighters of the US Air Force the Century Series' (included with a Revell F-015F/G kit) shows F-105F serial 62-4413 operated by the Armament Development and Test Center (ADTC - Eglin AFB?) in an ADC grey colour scheme, noting that this was extremely rare.

So, my questions:

1) Which units operated the 'Thud' painted in ADC grey?

2) Where can I find photos of these on the WWW?

Thanks

Michael

I want to say they operated out of Eglin AFB. The unit ecapes me. I have seen sevrel pictures of a D and F in ADC grey. I think I saw the pics in the book Roll Call Thud.

Edited by Rob Colvin

As far as I've ever seen, the only overall grey Thuds were flown by the Armament Test Division at Eglin. I don't believe any operational F-105 ever wore that scheme, and to my knowledge it was never in the T.O. 1-1-4 section on the 105. Loads of them in overall silver paint prior to 1965-66, but after that, operational birds were all camouflaged. At the very, very end of their lives some of them got Euro I wraparound camo.

J

Edited by Jennings

If you have the book that came in one of the Revell Century Series Aircraft "Jet Fighters of the U. S. Air Force The Century Series" by Bert Kinzey.

On page 38 there is in fact a F-105F SN 24413 that was assigned to the Armament Development and Test Center (ADTC). It was painted overall Aircraft Gray.

Many thanks for the replies and help on this one, much appreciated.

The Virgina ANG 'Thud' referred to by Slartiblartfast Byrd Thud on Pole is very interesting, I suspect they just had grey paint to spare at the time!

Michael

That's the exact paint scheme we've got at the Combat Air Museum in Topeka, KS.

I've never seen an operational F-105 from the VAANG in anything besides SEA camo. You can never trust a plane on a pole as a reference for much of anything. They didn't look like that in service.

J

I've never seen an operational F-105 from the VAANG in anything besides SEA camo. You can never trust a plane on a pole as a reference for much of anything. They didn't look like that in service.

J

I think you're probably right, J. It's strange that they painted two different Thuds in ADC. They must have had a lot of extra paint! :thumbsup:

I think you're probably right, J. It's strange that they painted two different Thuds in ADC. They must have had a lot of extra paint! :)

What makes you think that's FS595 paint? My guess would be Sears exterior latex.

J

There's a D Thud at the Combat Air Museum that is in ADC with Virginia ANG markings on it. I don't know if it's an actual scheme or not.

One of the guys I know here had a pretty big hand in getting that bird here, and by what I remember from the time, that scheme was applied when it went on display at its previous home and wasn't an operational scheme. Which is interesting since it seems to be a much better done paint-job in comparison to the average gate-guards.

Exactly. A lot of air parks "roll" some paint from a hardware store onto the planes. All you need is a paint chip to get a near match.

Curt

Oh come now. Are you serious? What self respecting municipality would do such a historically wreckless act such as that.

rf84fnebr.jpg

I'm certain this old Nebraska ANG RF-84F must have flown for the IDF...........

Rick L.

I started digging through the F-105 reference books I have and The Squadron/Signal Moden Military Aircraft "THUD" book by Lou Drendel has a pic. Caption reads, " F-105F of the Air Force Systems Command at Eglin AFB in May of 1972. This aircraft carries an overall Gray paint scheme". The pic is from Author's collection. The S/N on the tail is 24413. It carries wing tanks,but no stores are visible. U S AIR Force painted under the front windcsreen, Star and Bar just behind the wing on the fuselage, turbine stripe. It is fitted with the afterburner cooling scoops and there is a stripe with some XXXs across the top of the verticle tail. Not a bad looking scheme. Don M.

Edited by viper50

At first I was going to say that they painted it grey to protect the planes from the elements as much as anything but after reading the other post I'd like to take a crack at building a grey 105 .

Edited by Archangel

The fin stripe is red diamonds on a white background. The ADTC badge is available on old Superscale sheet (I can't remember the number but it was intended for an F-4E in a modified SEA camo scheme).

010-5.jpg

011-1.jpg

012-3.jpg

013-2.jpg

Monogram F-105F, Esci F-100D, Hasegawa TF-104G.

Haydn.