So Saturday at Thunder we saw the B-52 20 minutes before it fly overhead because of the plume of smoke it left. Sunday,it flew over my house on its way to Thunder again,this time,no smoke at all. Can anyone tell me why it was so smokey one day and smokeless the next?

It depends on engine power settings. Full military power = lots of smoke. Flight idle or about = much less smoke. The only BUFFS still flying are the H models with the TF-33 Turbofan engines which I am pretty sure do not have the water injection system. They have so much thrust dry that they don't need it. The earlier models used water injection for added thrust at take off and produced very dense clouds of black smoke.

Darwin

Check out old pics from Anderson AFB Guam from during the Linebacker

missions. Talk about smoke! We had B-52G's when I was at Fairchild AFB

back in the 80's and I got to see quite a few MITO take-offs. Those babies

could smoke! The KC-135A tankers with original engines were the same

way. It's like yardbird78 said. Those 1950's vintage engines were smokers.

F-4's were notoriously smokey airplanes too.

:thumbsup:

Flyingfortress:

Couple of reasons for the smoke. The new JP-8 fuel is formulated to reduce it's flammability in a crash which causes coking at lower power settings. Coking is when you have incomplete combustion of the fuel which results in unburned carbon or coke in the exhaust stream. As for the KC-135's with the J57 the gas temperature is lowered in the engine helping coke to form as well even at higher power settings. Jennings may know more on that aircraft. Even C-130's leave smoke trails now.

Mark

Most engines that run on combustion to ignite the fuel tend to be smokey. Modern engines including diesels have fuel management and emission systems to reburn the unburnt fuel. Modern jet engines burn leaner and cleaner. Good side by side example of sooty burning and cleaner burning is the Collings Foundations F-4C which is operating with both an early smoker and a later nonsmoker engine.

In a fighter, smoke trail was a dead give away to the enemy where you were and the direction you were flying.

Check out old pics from Anderson AFB Guam from during the Linebacker

missions. Talk about smoke! We had B-52G's when I was at Fairchild AFB

back in the 80's and I got to see quite a few MITO take-offs. Those babies

could smoke! The KC-135A tankers with original engines were the same

way. It's like yardbird78 said. Those 1950's vintage engines were smokers.

F-4's were notoriously smokey airplanes too.

:)

I was at Wurtsmith in the 80's and I also remember the smoke from those MITO takeoffs! What about the sound as well? My god I swear the KC-135s were louder than the BUFFs. Quite a sight after they all launched, complete silence with a brown haze in the air. Ah the memories.....

At Utapao R.T.N.A.F. they would launch every hour a combined force of "D" models and KC-135s. The only time it stopped would be during Bob Hope's show or at Christmas. After an attack the base would be empty of flyable aircraft because they would evacuate everything except the Pedros even if there was fighting going on near the flightline. It was something to see, a launch that would last over an hour, and then dead quiet until they returned. Where they evacuated to is anybody's guess but I'd say probably Bangkok and Japan.