Hasegawa: new kits no longer shrink wrapped?!

Just placed an order with Sprue Bros. and noticed the following message:

(Copied directly from Sprue Bros site)

Hasegawa Kits No Longer Shrinkwrapped

All Hasegawa kits we sell are new. Please be aware that the new US importer of Hasegawa (Hobbico/Great Planes) is no longer shrinkwrapping any kits. Thus any Hasegawa kits you order will likely come without skrinkwrap. The previous importer (DragonUSA) used to skrinkwrap all the kits they imported. We assume this is a cost cutting measure by the new importer (Hobbico/Great Planes) although the SRP for Hasegawa kits as set by Hobbico/Great Planes is relatively unchanged.

Apologies if this has been posted before, I found it quite interesting and wonder how it would affect second hand sales? As a buyer myself, I don't care so much about exterior shrink wrap as long as the inside bags are sealed, so perhaps is of no great concern.

I also would not be concerned about buying second hand, if the inside is sealed.

It is my understanding that new kits have never been shrink-wrapped outside of the US. Modelers from other countries, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not *just* the US that wrapped them, but yes, Hasegawa kits have never left the factory shrink-wrapped, it was done by the local distributors in each country. My guess is more as an anti-theft measure than to make it feel "more new", though that probably did play in to it as well.

That being said, having a shrink-wrapped kit is no guarantee of newness, either. I know of one prominent local shop owner who frequently re-shrinkwrapped opened and used kits - he had a heat-gun behind his counter, and it wasn't uncommon to see him using it to re-wrap kits. Sometimes it'd be a new release that had been opened up to show customers, others it would be from a collection he bought out. And in at least one instance (someone on ARC bought the kit, and posted a thread about it), the kit was used, ISTR it had been started, had a set of True Details wheels, and a few plastic parts missing. Shrinkwrapped, sold as new... but not.

What impact will it have on second hand sales? Might take a while for people to learn about, but within a year or two, it'll be status quo, and nobody will bat an eye. "New and sealed" will be used for kits still in their bags inside the box, rather than kits in shrinkwrap, but prices probably won't change, nor will buying habits.

Roger that, the Japanese culture being what it is, you really don't have much of an issue in Japan with kits not being shrink wrapped. Just not a whole lot of shoplifting going on out there. In my multiple trips to Japan, I've never seen a shrink wrapped kit in a hobby store.

The Japanese culture is changing. There is beginning to be more of a problem with shoplifting.

Most stores don't shrink wrap kits. Some do. The one's I can think of off hand are Sunny and Lucky Bay Fort. Yodobashi doesn't shrink wrap, but instead tapes the boxes shut. Most places that shrink wrap will open the box at the counter if you ask.

I always took comfort in the plastic wrap. It means it's less likely somebody stole the decal sheet, less likely that the small part that broke off the sprue is going to fall out the side of the box (yes, as a kid I stored kits and parts inside the boxes and lost MANY small parts, gear struts, actuators, etc, through the folded corner seams of the boxes!!).

I'm not really worried about being sold a kit wrapped for deceitful reasons (because if so I can take it back and yell at somebody), but in general it's a nice piece of mind for the American consumer because these kits get knocked to heck and back many times and any number of things could jar them loose.

Not to mention kids in stores opening everything, getting their grubby hands on MY kits, hehehehe

Never know when you might find a booger in your kit (ugh! soapy wash or not, that's a turn-off!)

Edited by Mark M.

On the one hand, it would be very nice to open some boxes up and look at the sprues. Help me decide what I want. On the other hand, most stores don't want you pocketing the innards and leaving the box so they do some sort of anti-theft thing like taping them shut or sealing them in.

more than once I might have declined a kit if I'd seen the actual sprues with a critical eye.

That being said, having a shrink-wrapped kit is no guarantee of newness, either.

Indeed, a few years ago I was burned by Hobby Lobby. I bought a shrink-wrapped Tamiya Do-335 and imagine my surprise when I opened it up and found that the kit had been started! (and not by anyone who knew what they were doing...most parts were slapped together with WAY too much glue).

I now ask to be allowed to open every kit before I buy from that particular store (in the presence of a store employee). If not, no sale.

:woot.gif:

Mike

Maybe this will help end the practice on the secondary market of "sealed" kits getting a premium over an opened version of the same kit.

For the most part it's not a problem getting a sealed kit on the secondary market, but for kits that have known missing or damaged part problems from the factory, or the infamous AMT/Ertl kits with the vinyl tires, I want the kit to be opened and inspected upon purchase.

Ken

In my multiple trips to Japan, I've never seen a shrink wrapped kit in a hobby store.
I'm not sure its still open but have you ever been in the model store just out side Yokota Air Bases' Fussa Gate? I first went there in 1983. The old guy who owned it would stand close to you and watch you look in the kits to make sure you weren't stealing anything! My son is fluent in Japanese and has heard him say some "not so nice" things to the customers. Oh well, he DID own the place!

The owner of one of the LHS I go to tells me he has a big problem with theft from unsealed kits. He has invested in his own shrink wrap machine to protect himself. Personally, I do like the shrink wrap. As others have said it ensures others haven't pawed my kit.

We have a rather mixed bag of stock in Australia. Some are shrink wrapped, others aren't. I might be mistaken, but, my impression is that most of the shrink wrapped Hasegawas sold locally are older stock.

Edited by Mike C
:soapbox: :soapbox:

The last time I took a stroll in Akihabara, like 2 years ago, I don't think any of the kits had anything on them from stopping you from opening them. When I was in Japan in January I noticed that some of the models in the Yodobashi in Kichijoji had a security feature around the box. I think security features are becoming more common in Japan, so perhaps maybe shrink wrapping is in the future. Even the Nagasakiya near the Mushashi Koganei station had security features on some of its electronic which I do not ever remember.

I've never seen a shrink wrapped kit here in the Czech Republic.

They come with seals on them but no shrink wrap.

However, in both my local hobby shops, the entire stock is behind the counter and you have to ask to see anything. the clerks are willing to break the seals for you, but they can keep something of an eye on you while you peruse the contents.

The Japanese culture is changing. There is beginning to be more of a problem with shoplifting.

Most stores don't shrink wrap kits. Some do. The one's I can think of off hand are Sunny and Lucky Bay Fort. Yodobashi doesn't shrink wrap, but instead tapes the boxes shut. Most places that shrink wrap will open the box at the counter if you ask.

That`s correct, they are taped or have a paperband around the box. Shrinkwrapping is not common there tho ( I found some old kits at Leonardos that were, dunno tho if they were factory wrapped or not.

The shop outside Yokota is still there. I stopped by last Saturday. There must not be many modelers visiting from Yokota as there were some older Hasegawa kits. For example, the Sharkmouth B-26 and the 1/48 Navy F-4 painted up like a Bicentennial bird. Sorry, forgot the exact name of the kit. An older lady watches the shop and she had friends to chat with. No one hassled me, but I didn't stay long nor open any kits. Only visit when I go to the the Yokota Friendship Festival.

Best wishes,

Grant