P-51D Detroit Miss

Finally finished my second model. This project was used for learning to use Alclad paint and it was also the first time I did add some figures. Painting and converting those 1/48 mechanics was not that easy. Still got some more to learn about painting shadows and highlights, but I'm satisfied with the result now.

Model is the Tamiya one added with Aires and some Eduard stuff. Fuel tanks by Verlinden as well as parts of the mechanics. I did steal some legs and arms from an old B-17 kit.

Paint is basically Alclad polished alu and some hints of dark alu and steel. The wings are painted with Humbrol silver mixed with aircraft blue as they were not left bare metal on real aircraft.

Enjoy, next one is John Storch's P-51D "Shilleilagh", olive drab with d-day stripes and red-yellow checkered nose, and I'm going to install a working engine and nav lights (from the dynamic scale modelling website).

BILD2325.jpg

BILD2331.jpg

BILD2338.jpg

BILD2340.jpg

BILD2341.jpg

BILD2342.jpg

BILD2345.jpg

BILD2346.jpg

BILD2347.jpg

Awesome little dio you have there. I have the same Aires super detail set, I just need to work up the courage to tackle it. I would love to see some in progress pics as well.

Love the placement of the maple leaf in your avatar pic - Oh, Canada!

Thanks all for the warm comments!

I have a few in progress pictures, but they don't really contribute. Since it's only the second model, I do have a lot of errors which I sometimes do correct in a whole different way as it started. The Alclad on this stang for example was resprayed about 3 times.

Next Mustang is going well, all oil cooler panels opened up already, ready to start scratchbuilding the interior detail, and gun bays installed.

Edited by piper19