One thing I would point out: we live in an age when one can access music from many different places and times; in fact, pretty much EVERYTHING that's ever known to have been done from Gregorian chant to contemporary classical music, pop music going back into the 19th Century right up to now, world and ethnic music, jazz, blues, rock--hard, soft and in between--bluegrass, Celtic, country, 60s folk, you name it! It's all readily available!

This is unique in history, and accounts for the great diversity of taste. It's like an incredible musical smorgasbord, and one if free to sample a little or a lot of everything! What a great time to be alive!

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Mate its the same as it ever was. You've just got to filter through the crap to get to the gold. Iv e always been a firm believer of the theory that just because something is popular doesn't necessarily mean its good. - Joel.

Yes it is going downhill!! This Elvis character with the thrusts and the jive... Its too much.

I was giving my dad a hard time about the Beetles just today "yeah to you thats the good old days: special memories, revolution, happiness, history, and freedom. To me the beetles are just the band that makes the music in all those adds directed at baby boomers. Every beetle song I have ever heard was mixed in with some garbage you boomers are supposed to buy."

Its not just that modern music degrades its that the old stuff is overplayed, overused, and oversold from the past. Hey how about Magic Carpet Ride? Hell I have only heard that 12,000 times. why not once more??

You bet your music starts to suck, especially after its used in every other advertisement, ironically about how unique and special you and your generation was.

My only hope is that when the boomers go they take their music with them. if its a choice between taking their music or their crippling debt, I will take the debt.

Also this rocks (its visuals really)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQTj4kH2QRM...feature=related

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
My only hope is that when the boomers go they take their music with them.

Also this rocks (its visuals really)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQTj4kH2QRM...feature=related

It is a copy cat of something the Beach Boys did over 40 years ago :cheers:

If one was to get rid of all the music from back in the day, Hip-hop would have one heck of a time finding something to steal um-I mean sample from.

<_<
Is it me or has todays mainstream music been missing something?

I M

That thars the problem. You're listening to MAINSTREAM music. I have to agree that MOST popular songs aren't very original and lack a certain amount of talent behind them. BUT there are exceptions even in "popular" music. Pink (although I don't know how popular she still is since I'm old I can't keep up with the "in" pace") but she is actually a really talented singer and performer. Just one of a handfull out there in the mainstream market.

IF you want newer bands that play "good" music you'd need to venture outside the mainstream. Just cruising around the XM/Serius radio dial and listening with an open mind to some other stations can expose you to some new groups that really rock (or not if that's not what you like) One good thing about the instant availability of media to the younger gen is that they are able to expose themselves to many different eras and cultures of music. They don't have to rely on "dad's old records" or big brothers taste in music to discover old stuff. They can jump on the innernets and find some obscure sitar playing midget monk from the 60's playing rendentions of Beatles tunes and say "Hey, I can incorporate that into MY music and it will be cool" So as a musician (well drummer, some wouldn't say it's a musical instrument) I'm actually pretty encouraged to find some really talented and resourceful young players out there coming up with some very unique music. Some rockin' some jammin' some laxing some just doing their thing. It's a good time for music!

But yea, mainstream...waaaay too much autotune. It's kinda always been where the pop isn't necessarily the best. Sometimes it is, but not often.

Just my 2 cents

Bill

Yep, them darn long hairs have no originality, Beetles? should have been the Stealers

Long Tall Sally

Rock and Roll Music

Please Mr Postman

You really got a hold on me

Twist and shout

of course that Elvis guy, he was ripping off songs left and right, I'd be here all day trying to track him down

Always on my mind

Are you lonesome tonight

Blue Suade Shoes

Burning love

Fools fall in love

Hound dog

Promised land (this guy really liked to "borrow" from Chuck Berry)

Nothing new here :rofl:

Not all of today's music is bad but much of it is.

I cannot stand the repeating lyrics. Seems like all you need is a couple of F-bombs and a few catchy words, turn on the electronic music machine and you are a star.

Yep, them darn long hairs have no originality, Beetles? should have been the Stealers

Long Tall Sally

Rock and Roll Music

Please Mr Postman

You really got a hold on me

Twist and shout

of course that Elvis guy, he was ripping off songs left and right, I'd be here all day trying to track him down

Always on my mind

Are you lonesome tonight

Blue Suade Shoes

Burning love

Fools fall in love

Hound dog

Promised land (this guy really liked to "borrow" from Chuck Berry)

Nothing new here <_<

I believe it may have been Beethoven who said he'd never written a song he hadn't heard already. He may have meant it was something he heard in his head, but it's possible he was saying that even the greatest have to have something to draw influence from.

The thing is, it's true "borrowing" from other people has been going on forever, BUT many of these artists like the two you've mentioned (The Beatles especially) actually wrote some VERY unique songs and cutting edge recordings. So it's not like they were a bunch of hacks that didn't know what they were doing. But as with most bands, they started out as a "cover band" til they could make it with their own music. It's how it's done most of of the time. Pay your dues playing other's music til you've earned enough listening power to speak your own voice.

Edited by niart17
I believe it may have been Beethoven who said he'd never written a song he hadn't heard already. He may have meant it was something he heard in his head, but it's possible he was saying that even the greatest have to have something to draw influence from.

The thing is, it's true "borrowing" from other people has been going on forever, BUT many of these artists like the two you've mentioned (The Beatles especially) actually wrote some VERY unique songs and cutting edge recordings. So it's not like they were a bunch of hacks that didn't know what they were doing. But as with most bands, they started out as a "cover band" til they could make it with their own music. It's how it's done most of of the time. Pay your dues playing other's music til you've earned enough listening power to speak your own voice.

Yep, got that, it may not have come across but I wasn't really sticking it to the Beetles and Elvis. I listed them because regardless of tastes most acknowledge their contributions to music and even they copied others. I agree most long time successful acts have done covers of other work, and not just when starting out either. Sometimes they are simply in tribute following the original style closely, othertimes taking the song in a whole new direction. Elvis' Promised Land is far different from the original Chuck Berry version, just as ZZ Top's Viva Las Vegas is different from Elvis', adding his trademark style to a bit harder edged sound.

I posted those lists in response to the idea current music simply copies the past. Even the dreaded rappers with their sampling do create original music with the bulk of their work.

I wasn't going to comment on peoples musical choices but I can't let this quote go. Yep, some very good music came out in those 7 years, but you are cutting out the works of Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Wagner, Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Cab Calloway, Louis Armstrong, The Foggy Mountain Boys, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Ray Charles, Queen, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, Charlie Daniels, AC/DC, Rush, Styx, Foriegner, The Eagles, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, The Police, and Sir Mix A Lot just to name a handful of those you are cramming into the remaining "20%".

That's too bad you couldn't let it go.....

Perhaps I should have said "80% of the music I THINK is good" fell between those years.

I kinda thought Queen, Pink Floyd, The Eagles, and Fleetwood Mac all fell into that 7 or 8 years I named off.

Some of the people you've named I've never heard of, others I don't care for at all.

Sir Mix A Lot really doesn't seem to fit with the others to me.

Music went down hill at the turn of the last century (read 1899-1900) Anything before 1820...is actually better than now.

We went from Gregorian plainchant (monotonic music) to multiple voices (polytonic), and then now we're back to monotonic crap (with alternative junk and ©rap- which is secular plainchant with beatboxes.

I guess that everything old is new again BS is alive and well.

Edited by The_Animal

Depends on your view of the world I suppose.

If you live in a bottle then yes, otherwise I think we have more choice over what we can like than ever before.

From Bach to the Beach Boys and Motorhead to Underworld. and thats just the English language music.

Theres a whole wide world out there too.

BTW, on a somewhat related note. (it's about music) If you guys are in to accapella groups, the second season of "The Sing Off" started last night. I was very happy to see a high school group in the mix right along side a legend in accapella singing (and holding their own!). That tells me there is hope for real talent based music well in to the future. Part of the fascination is due to the series Glee I'm sure (which I've never seen) But it is good to see there are some really talented yuts out there ("Did you just say yuts?")

Bill

Heard an interesting story on NPR last weekend about a writer who has produced a lot of the biggest top 40 hits of the last few years. The report said top 40 music is aimed at teenage girls, since they're the biggest consumers of that kind of noise. This woman sits down with another writer, surfs the internet sites that kids would be into, brainstorms with the other writer about what teenage girls would want to hear, then they had a new song wirtten and out the door in about four hours. I'm sure a lot of the popular rock songs on other stations are written the same way. Here's the link if you want to hear it:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2010/12...parents-in-mind

The 2000s are looking like the '70s and '90s, music-wise. Hopefully, before too long another Ramones or Nirvana will be along soon.

Ben

Hopefully, before too long another...Nirvana will be along soon.

Ben

Gosh I hope not! :bandhead2: Sorry, I keed I keed. I just never really saw the attraction to that group. I mean, I guess I can kind of see how they were somewhat unique at the time and influenced music some, but if you want to talk about someone that's un-dicernable (word?) lyric wise...WOWZA. And I agree being able to make out the words isn't necessarily a requirement for good music. I love Latin/Spanish music but can't speak a lick of it. But I just felt that Weird Al had it right in the video. He did sound like his mouth was full of marbles.

Sir Mix A Lot really doesn't seem to fit with the others to me.

That was an (apparently lame) attempt at humor to avoid the irritation, my comment could possibly inspire, and to see if people were paying attention (which shape is different from the others). :whistle:

If 80% of the music you like falls there that is completely different statement. It was not meant to comment on your personal taste in music, simply a nudge away from the rather pessimistic everything since 19xx blows dead harbor seals. :woot.gif:

Queen, Pink Floyd, The Eagles, and Fleetwood Mac began within the time you listed, but not have the bulk of their success until after 1974, and much of it in the 80s.

Gosh I hope not! :woot.gif: Sorry, I keed I keed. I just never really saw the attraction to that group. I mean, I guess I can kind of see how they were somewhat unique at the time and influenced music some, but if you want to talk about someone that's un-dicernable (word?) lyric wise...WOWZA. And I agree being able to make out the words isn't necessarily a requirement for good music. I love Latin/Spanish music but can't speak a lick of it. But I just felt that Weird Al had it right in the video. He did sound like his mouth was full of marbles.

I wasn't really that into Nirvana, but I used them as examples because they were different from all of the crap that was being played on the radio at the time. The Ramones helped usher out disco, and Nirvana & Pearl Jam were part of the grunge wave that helped get C&C Music Factory, Wilson Phillips (had to Google for late '80s pop bands for those!), and the like off the radio.

Ben

"We need change, we need it fast before rock's just part

Of the past. 'Cause lately it all sounds the same to me."

The Ramones

Heard an interesting story on NPR last weekend about a writer who has produced a lot of the biggest top 40 hits of the last few years. The report said top 40 music is aimed at teenage girls, since they're the biggest consumers of that kind of noise. This woman sits down with another writer, surfs the internet sites that kids would be into, brainstorms with the other writer about what teenage girls would want to hear, then they had a new song wirtten and out the door in about four hours. I'm sure a lot of the popular rock songs on other stations are written the same way. Here's the link if you want to hear it:

Oh yeah, it's a manufactured product with market research and testing behind it, no different than a new fast-food burger or a new candy bar.

I rarely listen to the radio any more since I bought a nice MP3 player, we had one 'Top-40' station in my hometown growing up, the local joke was that it was a Top-40 station because they only had the same 40 songs in the playlist.

Ken