OK went to a model sow yesterday and won a MIG-25 FOX BAT in 1/48 but hears where it gets interesting. the company that made the kit is LINDBERG. when did they make a MIG -25 and is it a re pop of the revell kit? is this kit descent when done or is there any after market stuff i can get to make it look nice? and help would be appreciated

Lindberg made their own MIG-25 kit, IIRC. From what I've heard, it's worse than the old Revell kit, unfortunately. There are some upgrades for the Revell kit (Neomega cockpit, and various Eduard PE sets), but I've heard nothing for the Lindberg kit.

Lindberg also made a MiG-31, which is pretty bad too.

i was thinking of Turing the kit in to the jet that defected to japan in 1975. and body know what it looked like ?

Google is your friend. Use "Belenko + Mig-25". I'm going to take a wild stab at it and guess that you probably weren't even close to being born yet when he defected, right? :jaw-dropping: Belenko's jet was a straight MiG-25 Foxbat A (his defection prompted the mods that became the Foxbat E). Bort number was red with a thin black outline.

image1162060171.JPG

Edited by Jennings
Google is your friend. Use "Belenko + Mig-25". I'm going to take a wild stab at it and guess that you probably weren't even close to being born yet when he defected, right? :P Belenko's jet was a straight MiG-25 Foxbat A (his defection prompted the mods that became the Foxbat E). Bort number was red with a thin black outline.

image1162060171.JPG

Hey J were you a Intel guy back then??? That had to light quite the fire in the vaults across USAF base throughout!!!

Hey J were you a Intel guy back then??? That had to light quite the fire in the vaults across USAF base throughout!!!

No, that happened when I was in high school. There was no USAF (or JASDF) presence anywhere near Hakodate airport where he landed. Purely a civilian field. And yes, I'm sure it still lit some fires here and there :thumbsup: I've been told by those who would know that there was zero chance the airplane would ever fly again when it was returned to the USSR. At least they got all the *major* pieces back!

I remember a good friend of mine got his hands on a Hasegawa kit a few days before I did (recall there was no internet back then). I was about to bust having him describe the kit to me over the (landline) phone. IIRC it was less than 90 days from the time Belenko landed until Hasegawa's kit was on the market, a record that probably still stands. Fairly sure that mold has more than paid for itself over the past 35 years (!!???) since it happened. God, 35 years ago this September!?! How is that possible?? Crap...

No, that happened when I was in high school. There was no USAF (or JASDF) presence anywhere near Hakodate airport where he landed. Purely a civilian field. And yes, I'm sure it still lit some fires here and there :) I've been told by those who would know that there was zero chance the airplane would ever fly again when it was returned to the USSR. At least they got all the *major* pieces back!

I remember a good friend of mine got his hands on a Hasegawa kit a few days before I did (recall there was no internet back then). I was about to bust having him describe the kit to me over the (landline) phone. IIRC it was less than 90 days from the time Belenko landed until Hasegawa's kit was on the market, a record that probably still stands. Fairly sure that mold has more than paid for itself over the past 35 years (!!???) since it happened. God, 35 years ago this September!?! How is that possible?? Crap...

I wa sin High School as well. Remember seeing that on the evening news and really digging the film that was taken. I think I bought the Time and or newsweek for the one pictire of it under the sheet.

Finaly got to see one, a Foxbat that is at the AF museum, GOD that is a big frigging airplane!!!

I wa sin High School as well. Remember seeing that on the evening news and really digging the film that was taken. I think I bought the Time and or newsweek for the one pictire of it under the sheet.

Finaly got to see one, a Foxbat that is at the AF museum, GOD that is a big frigging airplane!!!

I know... I got to touch it recently too. It was a moment :cheers:

Belenko's still alive and well in the US. I bet he's still under some kind of protection though; he is not a very popular guy in Russia even after all these years: http://english.pravda.ru/history/07-11-2003/4029-pilot-0/

The thoughtful Russian author even helpfully proposes a way how Belenko could still have defected to the West without giving away the airplane:

But in fact Belenko had a chance not to reveal the secrets of the newest MiG. He could crash the plane in the hills in a deserted area of Khokkaido and use the parachute to land. For such an action he could find a reasonable explanation - running out of time to find an airport because of fuel shortage.

Yeah, right.

P.S.: The Pravda article seems to confirm Jennings' statement that the Mig never flew again after the incident.

Edited by KursadA

During OIF I at Al Asad Airbase (south of Tikrit), we stacked almost an entire Troop (Company for you non-Cavalry types) on top of a Foxbat, from wing-tip to wing-tip, for some photos. It IS quite a huge bird.

No, that happened when I was in high school. There was no USAF (or JASDF) presence anywhere near Hakodate airport where he landed. Purely a civilian field. And yes, I'm sure it still lit some fires here and there :P I've been told by those who would know that there was zero chance the airplane would ever fly again when it was returned to the USSR. At least they got all the *major* pieces back!

Exactly. "everyone knows" the aircraft was returned to the USSR in pieces. I had a friend who shall remain nameless tell me the crates were full of scrap metal and other garbage, with the idea that the Russians would be too embarrassed to admit the crates were full of junk. since the story still stands I would say it was a success.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
Exactly. "everyone knows" the aircraft was returned to the USSR in pieces. I had a friend who shall remain nameless tell me the crates were full of scrap metal and other garbage, with the idea that the Russians would be too embarrassed to admit the crates were full of junk. since the story still stands I would say it was a success.

Not exactly, this MiG-25 was returned back to USSR as several containers with demounted parts, it was returned back to Gorkiy (now Nizhniy Novgorod), where it was assembled back, after investigate was clear that USAF experts not only inspect all aircraft, also they are took samples of all materials and put out of action antique radar (probably during try switch it on). After this aircraft stayed at Gorkiy several years and was scrapped.

Belenko's still alive and well in the US. I bet he's still under some kind of protection though; he is not a very popular guy in Russia even after all these years: http://english.pravda.ru/history/07-11-2003/4029-pilot-0/

The thoughtful Russian author even helpfully proposes a way how Belenko could still have defected to the West without giving away the airplane:

Yeah, right.

P.S.: The Pravda article seems to confirm Jennings' statement that the Mig never flew again after the incident.

What interest would he have to protect Russia when he has every intention of defecting, and why would he want to destroy the A/C with a Million Dollar reward awaiting him, that Author wasn't too bright.

Humm let me think, defect as a poor man, or defect and become an instant Millionaire.....

Curt

Not exactly, this MiG-25 was returned back to USSR as several containers with demounted parts, it was returned back to Gorkiy (now Nizhniy Novgorod), where it was assembled back, after investigate was clear that USAF experts not only inspect all aircraft, also they are took samples of all materials and put out of action antique radar (probably during try switch it on). After this aircraft stayed at Gorkiy several years and was scrapped.

of course it was

Lindberg also made a MiG-31, which is pretty bad too.

Yep, me's still got it MINT condition, should anyone want it. :) Yet the only Foxhound in 1/48 scale nowadays... :)

Catfan, I recommend ya buy Scale Aircraft Conversion's white metal landing gear for yer kit as well.