Mig-23 Floggers in 1/72 scale

And could you please make the sig pic smaller, as it is much bigger than allowed.

In Firefox, I merely right click on any offending image (not necessarily SwissHornet's), and block that image with Adblock.

Gene K

Do you get the correct exhaust for a M/MS? I want to build a Libyan MS but this is the first kit I've heard of that has an option for it.

I answered my own question as the MS has the same engine as the MF.

• 1 month later...

Yup, this IS the guy I bought from! You can rest assured that you will get your kit and super fast shipping as well. It doesn't hurt that he's a nice bloke too! You might want to think about getting the Pavla MIG-23 cockpit as well as he sells those as too??????? I got mine!

Regards,

Chris the cabbie

I picked up four of the RV MiG-23 kits from heepdrutt on eBay, and I definitely concur. I got them shipped at a decent price from England to the US and they got here in less than ten days.

It was such great service that I then bought five more kits from the guy, and both times the fastest overseas eBay shipping I've seen in quite a while. He also has pretty good prices. His Valom kit prices were considerably cheaper than any US retailer, even after the shipping cost added in.

He's about as good an eBay model seller as there is.

Now, on the topic of the RV kit. I got the MiG-23M/ML/MS/P kits. The MiG-23MS kit has a resin nose cone in addition to the injected one, does anybody know why? Both parts look to have the same overall shape to them. Was the MS nose different in some respect, I didn't think it was and don't seem to be able to find any evidence to suggest it was.

In the MiG-23ML and P kits they give you an additional forward fuselage section with different scribing as well as a total of three pairs of air intakes in each. Therefor, you end up with an additional two pair of air intakes as well as an extra forward fuselage section. I'm not sure if these parts can be grafted onto a Italeri/Zvezda kit but perhaps the extra parts may help that kit to look better?

Now, on the topic of the RV kit. I got the MiG-23M/ML/MS/P kits. The MiG-23MS kit has a resin nose cone in addition to the injected one, does anybody know why?

The only certainty that I have is that the MS had a much smaller radome.

I'm not sure if these parts can be grafted onto a Italeri/Zvezda kit but perhaps the extra parts may help that kit to look better?

That won't correct the canopy and nose shape.

This is also an interesting thread dealing with these kits. I suppose that the instruction in the kits doesn't show how to make other versions other than the particular boxing? For example P boxing shows only how to make P, and not MLD for example.

I suppose that the instruction in the kits doesn't show how to make other versions other than the particular boxing? For example P boxing shows only how to make P, and not MLD for example.

MiG-21MS instruction sheet from 1999.co.jp

10152408z.jpg

10152408z2.jpg

Exactly the same than the ones in the MF boxing. No mention of the MS resin nose.

Edited by Laurent

This is also an interesting thread dealing with these kits. I suppose that the instruction in the kits doesn't show how to make other versions other than the particular boxing? For example P boxing shows only how to make P, and not MLD for example.

I have the ML, MS, M and P kits. The directions are identical for all four. That being said, if you want an ML or P, you have to get the ML or P kit as they have the different intake parts. The intake itself is the same but there are different dielectric antennae on the ML and P that are molded to the surface of these parts. In step 5 of the directions Laurent posted you can see the different intake parts. These parts didn't come with my M and MS kits.

I have all FIVE RV kits in stock - just got here this week, and have been filling all the pre-orders that I have:

MiG-23M

MiG-23MF

MiG-23ML

MiG-23MS

MiG-23P

All are $45 each + shipping. I also have the RV Aircraft MiG-23 Decal set with 30 optional markings for all types and countries. And if you want a wealth of detail and what are regarded to be the best drawings available, I have the RV Aircraft MiG-23 Drawing set (includes a DVD) - Amazing variant-by-variant breakdown.

Took a lot longer to get these back in stock that I had hoped. But if you're looking for a US source, I have them available, and and shipping TODAY! I received a decent number of kits, but at the rate they've sold so far, they'll be gone quickly.

Drop me a PM if you're interested, or e-mail me directly at pcotcher at bellsouth dot net!

Great Kits!

Paul

Edited by pcotcher

The resin nose in the MS kit is the same size as the injected one.

I'm talking about the radome. The dielectric cover over the radar antenna.

And if you want a wealth of detail and what are regarded to be the best drawings available, I have the RV Aircraft MiG-23 Drawing set (includes a DVD) - Amazing variant-by-variant breakdown.

What does "best drawings" mean to you ? The RV 1/72 MiG-21 drawings are NOT accurate to me. Perhaps the MiG-23 drawings are good ?

Edited by Laurent

My Russian Modeling friends have told me that the accuracy of the RV Aircraft drawing sets are very good, including the MiG-23 sets. These are folks that I trust. I have both the MiG-21 and MiG-23 sets in stock.

So take it for what it's worth. I'm impressed with what's included and am working on getting the other Russian related sets in stock.

Thanks,

Paul

My Russian Modeling friends have told me that the accuracy of the RV Aircraft drawing sets are very good, including the MiG-23 sets. These are folks that I trust. I have both the MiG-21 and MiG-23 sets in stock.

So take it for what it's worth. I'm impressed with what's included and am working on getting the other Russian related sets in stock.

Great. Thanks.

I have the ML, MS, M and P kits. The directions are identical for all four. That being said, if you want an ML or P, you have to get the ML or P kit as they have the different intake parts. The intake itself is the same but there are different dielectric antennae on the ML and P that are molded to the surface of these parts. In step 5 of the directions Laurent posted you can see the different intake parts. These parts didn't come with my M and MS kits.

I was thinking of building a Soviet Afgan MLD. But in case i change my mind, i can choose to build M, MF, ML, MLD or P, if i buy P or ML boxing.

Either way it is best to buy those boxings unless you care for the marking options.

<...> What does "best drawings" mean to you ? The RV 1/72 MiG-21 drawings are NOT accurate to me. Perhaps the MiG-23 drawings are good ?

I've read on a German forum that the F-4 drawings also have a couple of mistakes. Some Navy/USMC detail on USAF versions, mixed-up exhausts, not all that accurate panel lines and a squashed canopy. It was said that the Revell F-4F kit fits the drawings quite well, which doesn't sound too encouraging. Revell's F-4F may be a nice kit, but it's not that great a model.

Edited by ChernayaAkula

I've read on a German forum that the F-4 drawings also have a couple of mistakes. Some Navy/USMC detail on USAF versions, mixed-up exhausts, not all that accurate panel lines and a squashed canopy. It was said that the Revell F-4F kit fits the drawings quite well, which doesn't sound too encouraging. Revell's F-4F may be a nice kit, but it's not that great a model.

Thanks. Perhaps the MiG-23 book is a diamond in a bucket of coal ? Link to my tiny MiG-21 book review.

Having MiG-21, MiG-23 and Phantom plans from R.V. aircraft, I have to say they are far from accurate.

As for the MiG-23, check the nose and winshield connected to fuselage area of the plan, then look at the real thing photos and you could find problems very easily.

The best MiG-23 plans are still the ones from one Russian or Ukrainian magazine which I forgot the name.

I just uploaded the plans here FYI.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz357/haneto_yu/MiG-23%20plans/MiG-236.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz357/haneto_yu/MiG-23%20plans/MiG-235.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz357/haneto_yu/MiG-23%20plans/MiG-234.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz357/haneto_yu/MiG-23%20plans/MiG-233.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz357/haneto_yu/MiG-23%20plans/MiG-232.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz357/haneto_yu/MiG-23%20plans/MiG-231.jpg

HTH,

Yufei

Not a diamond but a lump of coal then ? the RV drawings are very detailed (riveting) but aren't really reference material.<BR><BR>Real world: <A class=bbc_url title="" href="http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=229814">http://s362974870.on...howtopic=229814</A><BR>RV resin interpretation: <A class=bbc_url title="External link" href="http://www.rvresin.com/images/MiG-23P_1.jpg" rel="nofollow external">http://www.rvresin.c...s/MiG-23P_1.jpg</A><BR><BR>What I see: <BR>1) in RV resin drawings, the windscreen goes into the nose and the windscreen base slopes down as you go towards the nose tip.<BR>2) in the drawings of the links, the windscreen is put on top of the nose and the windscreen base is more horizontal. <BR>3) the shape of the section of the canopy base framing evolves as you go from the front (there's a canopy surface / fuselage surface kink) to the rear (no kink) of the canopy in the links drawings. It isn't shown in the RV drawings. <BR>4) in the RV drawings, the bottom of the glass part of the canopy is almost parallel to the bottom of the windscreen. It isn't in the real world. <BR><BR>I'm with Yufei but I keep in mind that the shape of the canopy+nose of the Zvezda kit is a lot worst than the shape of the RV kit.

Edited by Laurent

Sorry, but the RVA drawings are far from accurate! Only because there are tonns of detail and rivet heads added to them does not mean that they are precise! In many places it is a mix of different types. There are some strange things in the RVA drawings. If you have a look at the engine exaust it shows in profile like a kind of crown with definit spikes on it made out of the individual petals. Please have a look at the real thing!!!! It is nothing like this. The pitot at the end of the nose cone continuing the longitudional line of the fuselage while the nose cone is in a droped down position!!! This is not strange but plain stupid!

As to the authentic Russian sources, they could not agree what is what and still prefer the old Zvezda kit for starting a MiG-23. Saying that the RVA is just a copy of the Zvezda with some minor adjustments. I still believe that the kit is good (far better than anything up to now) and a good representation of the MF. The biggest problem is with the intake root to after cockpit/fuselage connection!

The RVA book of drawings on the MiG-21 is the same collection of strange drawings.

RVA is also producing sets of missiles in 72 scale. It seems that nobody has told them that every Russian missile has a different launch rail. The RVA is giving the same APU-60 rails apart from the R-60 (to which it belongs) also for the R-3S and the R-13M. Each of which had their own designed rails!!! Once again please consult the refferences!

Sorry but the books are not worth it. The kit is good with some adjustments!

Best regards

Gabor

Are the drawings in the Aerofax book any good? They don't have the same level of rivet detail, but is the overall shape and location of panel lines relatively accurate?