U. S. Televisions' "Trash It" Awards

As much as it grinds me to say this; without TV commercials we wouldn't have much to look at, though I do hold PBS in high esteem and have a large attraction to it, and without which (Commercials, I say commercials that is) we'd have not much sports or sadly many other good shows however few there may be, or some networks. That being said let's get rid of those god awful commercials that are of little entertainment value and or just plain intelligence insulting.

My vote goes to that real sesspool dweller of a travel bene's offering, with Alex Baldwin; it may be or have been Ok hadn't they ended it with him in the cockpit saying "it's Ok, I've played a pilot" as he is about to fiddle with some controls. AARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!. Please TV folks drop this one quick. A Roseanne Barr offering might be just be better.

Edited by Angels49

I don't have an outside TV connection by choice. Everything I watch is on DVD or streamed. This eliminates the commercials right off the bat. I've found a number of really great shows in the past couple years--things that make me say "DA-yam! That was good!" at the end of each episode. Here's a short list in no particular order:

Deadwood

Sons of Anarchy

Damages

Justified

True Blood

Deadliest Catch

Terminator; The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Dollhouse

just to name a few!

cheers

Old Blind Dog

DVR is your friend!

Only thing I watch "live" anymore is sports. Otherwise everything is recorded and my finger is on the fast forward button.

Yep, even if I don't have any time saved up, if I hate a commercial enough I'll pause so I can fast forward through it.

I'm old school, my TV has rabbit ears on it. Cable and satelite are just too expensive and not needed, especially for someone who doesnt watch that much TV in the first place. Gets really old when people come over and see that I dont have cable and they act like I'm from another planet. I had a friends wife get all pizzy because she couldnt watch her show at MY house.

Honestly the only reason I want cable is so I dont have to worry about the crappy signal thing anymore gets me pizzed off come sunday afternoonduring football.

I'm old school, my TV has rabbit ears on it. Cable and satelite are just too expensive and not needed, especially for someone who doesnt watch that much TV in the first place. Gets really old when people come over and see that I dont have cable and they act like I'm from another planet. I had a friends wife get all pizzy because she couldnt watch her show at MY house.

Honestly the only reason I want cable is so I dont have to worry about the crappy signal thing anymore gets me pizzed off come sunday afternoonduring football.

Interesting, I thought all TV signals went digital and you can't watch a TV without a converter box of some sort. I didn't think you could get signal anymore with just with a rabbit ears/antenna arrangement.

Personally, I haven't had to worry about rabbit ears for a good 20 years or so. I do remember the old days of wrapping aluminum foil around the rabbit ears or the little round wire antenna on the back of my little 13" black and white I am a spammer....please report this post. TV to improve reception.

For the past 12 years my options have been satellite or no TV. We did the no TV thing for 4 years, but as much as I fuss about nothing good on TV I do appreciate having it available.

I don't have an outside TV connection by choice. Everything I watch is on DVD or streamed. This eliminates the commercials right off the bat. I've found a number of really great shows in the past couple years--things that make me say "DA-yam! That was good!" at the end of each episode. Here's a short list in no particular order:

Deadwood

Sons of Anarchy

Damages

Justified

True Blood

Deadliest Catch

Terminator; The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Dollhouse

just to name a few!

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Do you stream SoA and Deadwood, or did you buy those on DVD? I've always been interested in seeing them but have never seemed to have the time, and, as mentioned above, I have to compete for DVR space ...

Quoted for truth.

Though our DVRs tend to fill up with my wife's viewing - let's just say I didn't marry her for her taste in television.

:OMG-OMG: , by all that is worthy of notice, it's Kolja...man how the 'ell are ya.....you've been away from here so long I thought they had made you an O-6 and parked you in NAVAIR Hq at the 5 sided pandemonium palace.

Do you stream SoA and Deadwood, or did you buy those on DVD? I've always been interested in seeing them but have never seemed to have the time, and, as mentioned above, I have to compete for DVR space ...

Hey Karl,

Those two were rented on DVD from Netflix. I've only had the capacity to stream for about a month, and so far have been a bit disappointed by the dearth of offerings from Netflix. I'd watched two or three eps of "Terminator" via streaming and then suddenly found that the show was no longer available in the streaming format from Netflix. (Strangely, at about the same time I got an e-mail from Amazon Prime saying that they now have "Terminator" available to stream!). Ended up renting the DVDs to watch the rest of the series.

Gotta say I'm a little peeved at Netflix; in addition to arbitrarily raising their rates recently, they say they want to go to an all-streaming/no DVD model, but offer so little in the way of cyber product, that I must begin to question the value of my subscription. Right now I'm getting 5 DVDs at a time and "unlimited" streaming for just under $40 a month.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

As much as it grinds me to say this; without TV commercials we wouldn't have much to look at, though I do hold PBS in high esteem and have a large attraction to it, and without which (Commercials, I say commercials that is) we'd have not much sports or sadly many other good shows however few there may be, or some networks. That being said let's get rid of those god awful commercials that are of little entertainment value and or just plain intelligence insulting.

My vote goes to that real sesspool dweller of a travel bene's offering, with Alex Baldwin; it may be or have been Ok hadn't they ended it with him in the cockpit saying "it's Ok, I've played a pilot" as he is about to fiddle with some controls. AARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!. Please TV folks drop this one quick. A Roseanne Barr offering might be just be better.

I really hate to disagree with you so often, Angels49, but I actually enjoy the Alec Baldwin commercials. They are far more entertaining than the usual "BUY NOW!!!" shout-out ads for everything from CLR to the Clapper light switch.

My vote for commercials to be ditched:

-Anything political. Nothing spoils my TV experience more than a political attack ad.

-Send us your gold for cash ads. Really? You think I'm going to put something expensive in an envelope and send it to you?!?

-Any ad that is repeated twice within the same commercial break, or 10 times during one show.

ALF

-Anything political. Nothing spoils my TV experience more than a political attack ad.

For those of us in the industry, those "politicals" are the golden goose. The sponsors pay premium rates for them. If the sales department at our station makes or exceeds its quarterly targets, we get a bonus. Usually it's $300-$400..a nice little windfall that can catch up a few bills. Last fall after election season, the quarterly bonus was ten times that. That said, believe me..those of us whose job it is to make sure all the spots air hate the ads themselves as much as you, possibly more..since we have to watch EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!

Any ad that is repeated twice within the same commercial break

Sponsors will pay extra for that as well. It's called "bookending;" having ads from the same sponsor, or even the same exact ad, at the beginning and the end of each break.

SN

Edited by Steve N

I really hate to disagree with you so often, Angels49, but I actually enjoy the Alec Baldwin commercials.

ALF

Different strokes for different folks.....I'm a big Dallas Cowboys fan, look how many folks are just the opposite and love to see them lose. That doesn't bother me, I just smile and remind them that only one team has more Superbowl titles ( a temporary statistic :whistle: ), and some can't say they have one. We both like doing models, you very well, me I just schlopp glue, and fling paint. Look at how many think we're adult aged males playing with toy airplanes, cars, ships, etc. You say that you disagree with me often; well you're gonna have to qualify that to me, I disagree with my son's often at least 4/5 times a month on a regular basis sometimes more, now that's often. I like Alex Baldwin as an actor, but I still can't cotton to that commercial, and with Thegoodsgt....those Capitol one offerings are starting to wear thin with me also.