Anyone here watching "The Walking Dead:

I gotta kick last nite when the cops were boasting how well trained in the use of firearms they were.....if that were the case 1st thing I would do would be find a gun shop and raid it.....upgrade what I have...M-1a for a long rifle instead of that bolt action model 70.....plus loose that damn 6 shooter for something with a hi cap mag and faster reload if I did need a handgun.....plus more crossbows at least for the silent work

I am surprised that no one would not just try to lure them into some form of trap - like a big pit or something. They seem attracted to things and capable of movement.

The comic book is ultra violent and well illustrated but the writing (as in dialogue) is not so good. There is a character that comes along later to join the group. I hope they do that in the series as that character is very good at dealing with zombies

I am surprised that no one would not just try to lure them into some form of trap - like a big pit or something. They seem attracted to things and capable of movement.

The comic book is ultra violent and well illustrated but the writing (as in dialogue) is not so good. There is a character that comes along later to join the group. I hope they do that in the series as that character is very good at dealing with zombies

You'd think they'd run into someone with military background...problem is those 2 cops need to plan ahead for stuff like that....act instead of react.

Yeah LOVE the TV series and comic. Slightly different beasts. I don't get AMC so I'm subscribing to it on eyeTunes this season. I was disappointed last night eyeTunes didnt have it ready for download yet :(

Personally I prefer a 12-guage Remington 870 pump with buckshot to the head. Hard to miss at close range. Backup would be a medium axe ;)

You'd think they'd run into someone with military background...problem is those 2 cops need to plan ahead for stuff like that....act instead of react.

Rick did raid a police station i'n the first season (maybe Episode 1?). But lost most of it i'n Atlanta escaping into that tank. So that stories been told and doesn't need to be repeated on screen.

Guns, as it happens, are not the best anti-zombie weapons. The virus that causes people to turn into "zombies" (that it IS a virus has not been revealed yet on the show) also enhances the hearing of it's victims. This was touched on in last weeks, season 2, opener. Shooting off guns in the presence of zombies will bring ALL zombies within earshot - and beyond.

One sure way to meet up with zombies is to fire a gun. And the last thing you want is to meet up with them, since there is no cure for their disease.

The preferred zombie weapons are what we would call "melee weapons" - long and short swords, pikes and halberds. They have the advantage of reach and silence. They must be stout and of good quality; if you can't cut a tree down with them, they are useless in the long run. You employ the reach of these weapons to keep the zombie at arms length or beyond.

Cut off the zombies' hands, first, so it cannot grab you. This is a must of you have long hair.

Or, cut out it's legs so it topples over and then stay away from the head end of the thing.

Or, do both, if time allows.

Once they have been dealt with this way, you have the creatures at YOUR command. A thrust into the eyes or ears with a pointed blade, or a swift chop to the skull will then end their threat. The single best bladed weapon is the Japanese katana sword, backed up with a long pointed blade. A 12" bayonet is my favorite.

Guns are useful, certainly. For fast, close-in, encounters with zombies, one of the many high capacity handguns of sufficient power is good. A S&W 5906 stainless 9mm is what I have. A Glock would be my back up choice.

If you are in an elevated stronghold, from which you can escape and which cannot be breached by zombie hordes, a long range rifle is nice. 30-06, .308, .270... that kind of thing.

Not only will it take out a zombie, but shooting zombies "fish in a barrel" style, well... it offers a lot of entertainment value.

A short "assault rifle" is probably the best of both worlds. It should be accurate enough for head shooting out to 100 yards, it must have sufficient power to breach the skull, and it should be self loading.

The majority of the time, this describes the civilian AK-47 and it's plentiful .30 cal ammo.

NOTE: Don't waste your time with full auto fire. Spraying zombies with bullets does nothing but turn their attention to you. Aimed fire to the head is what you want.

The shotgun, surprisingly, is not all its cracked up to be. It is better than nothing, of course, but shot of any kind is next to useless on the undead.

It's great on the living, sure.

But unless you get close enough to enure a devastating head shot, anything else is useless. Zombies feel no pain and do not fear such things, after all.

Now, its obvious that an aimed 12 ga. slug to the head is a sure-fire zombie "melon crusher." It will nearly take off the zombie's head - assuring you of a clean kill. But it is generally a short range option, and with but a few exceptions, shotguns have limited firepower. Get thee an AK-47, 10 full mags and go forth.

Lastly with any gun, choose the right ammunition for zombies. It must be powerful enough to break through the human skull and it must be widely AVAILABLE. Rule of thumb: If the U.S. military uses it in combat, or has used it, odds are good ammo will be found almost everywhere.

What the characters on the show are slowly learning is that banding together is the BEST offense, as the various roles of battle can be shared. No one weapon is best all the time, and so you can spread various weapons among the group to the benefit of all. The military has known this for centuries, of course.

What they have also learned is to keep your hair cut short, get far away from zombies and keep QUIET, until you can take them on your own terms.

Edited by dahut

If there is one thing I've learned from zombie flicks, it is locate other survivors and then stay the hell away from them. The zombies are usually the least likely way you will die, it is always some pinhead who leaves forgets to close a door, or shoots someone for trying to kill their zombie significant other.

I'd go with a suppressed .45 auto (maybe one of those Canadian high capacity ones) for the zombies, and a 12 gauge for dealing with the idiots.

Maybe something like this for a bit more reach (assuming a source for the ammo), and a suppressor to keep things peaceful.

http://www.impactguns.com/alexander-arms-50-beowulf-entry-rifle-7rd-r-beoentry.aspx

They need Lobos! Lobotomizers would allow for destroying the brain pan, it is low maintenance and easy to use and also works as a shovel.

Well indeed :) Really enjoying TWD (Season 2) not least for the way it broadly integrates with Max Brooks' world. They have, so far branched in slightly different directions (I really liked the global politics stuff like how the F-35 is tested in action, and how a slightly more desperate government sorts the wheat from the chaff by nerve gassing an entire column: the people who move afterwards are the enemy) but TWD plays very effectively in the survival-horror genre, IMHO.

One thing that nags at me for both though - I guess it's central to the tireless/invincible/fearless army of undead thing but if anyone can give some believable pseudo-science to get around this I'd be grateful. Humans move using muscles, muscles need fueling from food, without food we stop working, yes? Zombies have muscles, they're dead muscles but they still need fuel, OK? So in theory, if a zombie doesn't eat, it stops...and so you can ideally wait 'em out like you can any other attacker (cover permitting.) Please can someone give me a work-around for this, as I really like both Brooks' hordes of zombies roaming the seabeds and TWD's feral unpleasants?

Patrick

Edited by Patrick_Nevin

One thing that nags at me for both though - I guess it's central to the tireless/invincible/fearless army of undead thing but if anyone can give some believable pseudo-science to get around this I'd be grateful. Humans move using muscles, muscles need fueling from food, without food we stop working, yes? Zombies have muscles, they're dead muscles but they still need fuel, OK? So in theory, if a zombie doesn't eat, it stops...and so you can ideally wait 'em out like you can any other attacker (cover permitting.) Please can someone give me a work-around for this, as I really like both Brooks' hordes of zombies roaming the seabeds and TWD's feral unpleasants?

Patrick

Well not to be a smart ***, but... magic, they are zombies. :taunt:

Movies don't usually deal with it because they are short term, but I've read some zombie stories that do at least give some idea of this going on with old zombies just kind of rotting away, but being refreshed by new victims. I loved the idea in WWZ of zombies freezing in the winter, then thawing out and moving again in the spring.

Hey waitaminit.....I didn't know they had Monday morning film of the last place I worked. I know we did surveillance, but I didn't know on ourselves. Yeah I've seen that one; ya don't need to do much acting to walk around looking like you're recovering from a long weekend bender. I've seen enough walking dead stuff, this one holds not much of my interest, it does beat American Dad, Family Guy, and other fodder like that, that aids in the moral decay of society, and that old reasoning it's just entertainment is a lame excuse to justify it.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

What I like about Walking Dead is that it's not so much about Zombies but instead about what People do to each other when society breaks down.

That's the horror part of it! And I think that's why both the comic and TV series are so successful.

Happened to rent the entire 1st season a couple of weeks ago and it's not bad. But the characters seem rather survival stupid. No one seems to have hit a gun or pawn shop for weapons. Several times they have come across over run Army units...should be lots of weapons laying around. I've seen at least 2 M1A1 Abrahm tanks and half dozen plus Humvees. There's been at least 2 .50 caliber machne gun nests/postitions shown. Gas in abandoned vehicels and supplies in those vehicles should of been grabbed time after time. And I really like where the cops & the 1 old guy deciding who gets to carry/use a weapon. I'm talking about the blonde woman who used a screwdriver on the walker when it came into the RV. Ohhh...too dangerous for her to have a pistol. I would be teaching the kids ASAP to handle a .410 shotgun at least. And as to the RV----did all the auto part stores burn up or fill with walkers/zombies? And no military experience presence in any of the characters or active military kicking walker/zombie butt. I'd say the writer & director never spent any time in the military or ever used a weapon. What would be interesting is bring in some characters who were part of the SCA (Society for Creative Anchornism). See some walkers/zombies getting killed by people on horseback using their lances for example. Or sticking them with pikes. Or chopping them up with swords & axes and shooting them with their bows & arrows.

Happened to rent the entire 1st season a couple of weeks ago and it's not bad. But the characters seem rather survival stupid. No one seems to have hit a gun or pawn shop for weapons. Several times they have come across over run Army units...should be lots of weapons laying around. I've seen at least 2 M1A1 Abrahm tanks and half dozen plus Humvees. There's been at least 2 .50 caliber machne gun nests/postitions shown. Gas in abandoned vehicels and supplies in those vehicles should of been grabbed time after time. And I really like where the cops & the 1 old guy deciding who gets to carry/use a weapon. I'm talking about the blonde woman who used a screwdriver on the walker when it came into the RV. Ohhh...too dangerous for her to have a pistol. I would be teaching the kids ASAP to handle a .410 shotgun at least. And as to the RV----did all the auto part stores burn up or fill with walkers/zombies? And no military experience presence in any of the characters or active military kicking walker/zombie butt. I'd say the writer & director never spent any time in the military or ever used a weapon. What would be interesting is bring in some characters who were part of the SCA (Society for Creative Anchornism). See some walkers/zombies getting killed by people on horseback using their lances for example. Or sticking them with pikes. Or chopping them up with swords & axes and shooting them with their bows & arrows.

The "M1" tank in the first episode was a late Chieftain with Stillbrew armor. It didn't look like they modified it except to paint it desert tan, but I'm sure 99% of the people who watched didn't know or care.

have patience willc453, all this develops in time! Most the materiel your suggesting has been well covered by 80+ issues of the book.

Keep in mind, the show is not just about Zombies or surviving Zombies- instead it's surviving what's left of humanity. This is were the truest "horror" lies in the series.

have patience willc453, all this develops in time! Most the materiel your suggesting has been well covered by 80+ issues of the book.

Keep in mind, the show is not just about Zombies or surviving Zombies- instead it's surviving what's left of humanity. This is were the truest "horror" lies in the series.

Yes, that part is about to be revealed.

I love the show, I just wish they could pick up the pace a bit. the second episode seemed like they only had 10 minutes of story to fit into 48 mins. of air time.

and I am glad to see that I am not the only one annoyed at the lack of firepower. hello kids they are in Georgia, there has to be a cabellas or walmart around somewhere.