North Korean MIg-29 pic

How about a nice North Korean cover version of A-ha's 'Take on me'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rBgMeunuviE#!

Unbelievable! I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it! :o

Before I clicked on your link, I was prepared for a laugh-a-thon similar to the now-famous "Top Gun : North Korean style" youtube video.

THEN I realised this NK accordian style "Take On Me" did indeed sound good. It has a very catchy tune. I enjoyed that. Thanks for the link. :D

By the way, for those who don't know, here's the original:

In it's time, it was one of the most original & imaginative music videos B)

Excellent catch, BigFoot. Thanks!

In case anyone's wondering, my Korean friends translated the left panel as:

"This aircraft was inspected by Great Leader Kim-Il Sung on year of the Juche 77 (1988) on August 17"

and the right panel as:

"This aircraft was inspected by Dear Leader Kim Jong-Il on year of the Juche 77(1988) on August 17 and 97(2008) on December 27".

I tend to believe these panels were painted on this one aircraft only.

Edited by KursadA

Excellent catch, BigFoot. Thanks!

In case anyone's wondering, my Korean friends translated the left panel as:

"This aircraft was inspected by Great Leader Kim-Il Sung on year of the Juche 77 (1988) on August 17"

and the right panel as:

"This aircraft was inspected by Dear Leader Kim Jong-Il on year of the Juche 77(1988) on August 17 and 97(2008) on December 27".

I tend to believe these panels were painted on this one aircraft only.

Maybe an Anniversary aircraft as well? Deliveries of the MiG-29's began in 1988, and of course "Dear Leader" would have to inspect it to approve of them? Kinda like an "20 years of MiG-29 operation"?

Just a thought.

That silver MiG on the bottom appears to have the same "Inspected by Dear Leader #1" as the MiG-29, but on 30 Dec 1971.

Edited by Johnopfor

Maybe an Anniversary aircraft as well? Deliveries of the MiG-29's began in 1988, and of course "Dear Leader" would have to inspect it to approve of them? Kinda like an "20 years of MiG-29 operation"?

Just a thought.

That silver MiG on the bottom appears to have the same "Inspected by Dear Leader #1" as the MiG-29, but on 30 Dec 1971.

Agreed, the silver Mig does seem to say the same thing. (It does seem to have a sliding canopy and cannon muzzles in the wing roots, so it might be a Mig-19 of some sort?)

Between all these recent discoveries; I have enough material for a new North Korea-themed sheet. I will get working on this soon.

Edited by KursadA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S79b0CzOsvE&feature=player_embedded#!

Found link to this video on a russian forum and decided to have a look.

Thanks Bigfoot, that's some great footage!

After watching that video, I did notice the same inspection stencil on a PT-76 tank and a fast attack craft that "Dear Leader" was on, so it appears to be a "Dear Leader was here" sign.

Kursad, any chance of seeing these in 1/72, and it will need national insignia, the RepliScale insignias on thier MiG-29 sheet are too small for this scheme?

Thanks Bigfoot, that's some great footage!

After watching that video, I did notice the same inspection stencil on a PT-76 tank and a fast attack craft that "Dear Leader" was on, so it appears to be a "Dear Leader was here" sign.

Kursad, any chance of seeing these in 1/72, and it will need national insignia, the RepliScale insignias on thier MiG-29 sheet are too small for this scheme?

I plan to do this in both 1/72 and 1/48 schemes as the second item in my "Global Air Power" series. I can't commit to a date right now, but I will try to release this soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to find out what the slogans in the large boxes are saying. I have everything else drawn up, and will announce decals literally the minute the mystery of the boxes are solved.

Any plans for decals in 1/32 for the mig 29?

I have some suspicion that the color in the first photo has been doctored after the shot was taken. That said, something about that green makes me think they took it from a railroad shop. It'd be perfect on a locomotive or a passenger car. It just doesn't strike me as military. I wouldn't paint a tank in that color, either.

The underside blue is a bit loud, too, but it's been done on military jets successfully, so I won't quibble, there. I dig the old-school full-leather flying suit, though. Needs a silk scarf and a cigar, and he's all set.

And yea, the propaganda ministry really has to coach newbie Leader on photogenic appearance. Make that a priority, fellas; today, if not sooner. Because you know the problem is on his end. The photographers have all been told to get the best possible image of him, and this was the very best they could do, judging from the fact that these shots have released to the Interwebz.

• 2 weeks later...

The aircraft retained thier Emerald Green/Sky Blue scheme that they got after being rebuilt by On The Mark while in the Congo, but with Congolese National markings, numbers and pilots' personal markings painted on.

Italeri's 1/72nd Counter Invader kit includes markings for two Congo aircraft.

HTH,

Andre

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...