Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 all new tooled

I have the old kit in the stash and I hardly want to build it considering all the errors. The missiles also don't look fun to clean up. Does anyone make resin Russian missiles in 1/48? Also, does anyone make 1/48 GDR MiG-29 decals?

There are the Eduard Brassin missiles that cover the requisite types for a run-of-the-mill MiG-29 - R-27 and R-73 (as depicted above). But the missiles in the kit are awfully good, I'm not sure what the clean-up issue would be aside from some minor seam scraping with the tip of a knife blade. The pylons are the issue - and Eduard does those as well, but they are part of the missile sets. I keep suggesting to Eduard that they release the pylons by themselves, as an upgrade dedicated to this kit, but thus far they have not seen fit to do so.

As for DDR decals, I know there are several older sets that cover those markings. The current Linden Hill sets don't cover them, but if you do a little digging, there are definitely older Superscale sets that cover the DDR MiG-29s extensively, including the "last flight" markings.

And BTW Hero Ma, re: the picture above, that isn't part of the pylon on the missile, that is a cable tray that runs down the opposite side of the missile from where the missile attaches to the pylon.

Edited by RedStar
...there are definitely older Superscale sets that cover the DDR MiG-29s extensively, including the "last flight" markings.

Having seen several of them built up, just be aware that those Superscale 'last flight' decals are translucent and would need to be backed up by white decal to make them look presentable.

RedStar : Know nothing about Migs or Russian missiles. Learning something everyday!

Lodewijk : Cleaning up should be a breeze. Run the tip of blade perpendicular to the seam, it will be done in 2 minutes. Resins are way harder to cleanup IMO

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Lima - PERÚ

I guess it is a grounded frame judging by lack of refuel probe and "cloudy" canopy? Any idea what that flat antenna is? For GPS? I have seen similar ones on a few recent Russian planes, like MiG-29SMT, T-50-4 and Su-30SM. In last two cases there is a pair of them however.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent! - too bad it's in the wrong scale. ;)/>/>

Cheers,

Andre

Hush, Andre. You 72 types get all the love in terms of variety. It's only now that 48 scalers have a snowball's chance in hell of catching up. :taunt::whistle: That MiG 29 looks to be a beauty. Wish I could snag one, but my $$$ have someplace else to go. Namely a lens that is going to cost me $6,000.00 (And I'm not talking just the 600mm - think 300mm f/2.8 VRII)

Edited by The_Animal

Hi,

Just wanted to ask whether there are any plans of reissueing the 9-12 version. If so, when can this be expected?

Cheers.

Based on the discounted price that Sprue Brothers is offering on the 9-12 ref:

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/lnrl4811.htm

I'd have to guess that an updated 9-12 is on the way, with the corrections from the 9-13 - at minimum. We know an early 9-12 is coming at some point soon as well.

Based on the comments in this thread, I'm also betting there are other variants of the 9-12 coming with extra bits required for other user/country specific variants... Look at the evolution of their P-61 series, they did very similar things in those releases.

I'm looking forward to whatever they bring, as these are JEWELS!

Just get one from SB if you want one as they're out there, and that's a pretty good price as it is...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys!

Having been away for a while and here brings you some good news.

I received the new tooled parts at the end last month and here are them.

They will be included from the upcoming L4814 MiG-29 9-12 early type kits.

P9210636.jpg

P9210635.jpg

P9210638.jpg

P9210639.jpg

P9210634.jpg

P9210641.jpg

05-6.jpg

06-4.jpg

Cheers,

Yufei

Thanks for the head up, buddies!

Yes SMT will be the new project in 2014 because it will require new upper fuselage, cockpit panel, some new antenna, etc.

They still have not decided to put in the new weapons with new pylons which will be another cost to them.

Do you think which one will be more popular? MiG-29UB or MiG-29SMT?

Thanks!

Yufei

Thanks for the head up, buddies!

Yes SMT will be the new project in 2014 because it will require new upper fuselage, cockpit panel, some new antenna, etc.

They still have not decided to put in the new weapons with new pylons which will be another cost to them.

Thanks!

Yufei

Both will be popular B) , but UB please first! :cheers:

Excellent! Also remember that SMT has slighly different wingtips and all new middle fuel tank. As to weapons; imho there is no real point of doing new ones. SMT uses simply R-27's and R-73's, it is rare to see anything else beyond those.

Realistically, I think probably UB, since by far more countries use it so there is by far more markings.

SMT (in 9.19 style) is limited to Algeria (before they canceled the deal), Russia and India. Indian "SMT's" are called UPG and have izd code 9.20. External difference between 9.19 and 9.20 are some antennas.

PS: Is the secret AKU-170? ;)/>

Edited by Berkut