1/72 f-18c hornet question

Agree with what everyone said. Academy makes THE BEST legacy Hornet. I've built one, and another one in the stash (Blue Angel). Plus, they're soooo much cheaper than Hasegawa's badly obsolete Hornet.

Well, the Hasegawa is not all that bad - it is now outclassed by the Academy, of course, but if you want to build a few for your son a few now-cheap Hasegawa quick builds would not go amiss.

Cheers,

Andre

Well, the Hasegawa is not all that bad - it is now outclassed by the Academy, of course, but if you want to build a few for your son a few now-cheap Hasegawa quick builds would not go amiss.

Cheers,

Andre

While this is true, the Academy's also typically the cheaper kit unless you're finding older Hasegawa releases on significant discount.

Note the Academy is not without its warts though, the main landing gear in particular do not splay nearly enough, giving the academy kit an odd sit when viewed from directly in front or directly to the rear of the aircraft.

a few now-cheap Hasegawa quick builds would not go amiss.

Cheers,

Andre

Having built about 30 of the various versions of the Hasegawa kit before moving on to the much better and easier Academy kit, I can tell you that there is no such thing as a "quick" (or easy) build of the Hasegawa kit. The fit is not bad,i but the convoluted assembly process makes alignment and good seams almost impossible. I don't think I was ever able to glue the aft fuselage sides and the top and bottom nose parts together well enough to not have to sand, file and fill everything to the point where most of the detail was long gone. And the seams were in very visible places.

I don't know what price you put on your modeling time, but mine is valuable enough to pay more for kits that fit well so I don't have to beat myself sanding and filling bad seams.

Go buy the Academy kit and have fun.

Norm

Cheers,

Andre

Concur. The Academy IS the best in 1/72 but don't write off the Hasegawa one too. If you can get it cheap, the Hasegawa ones are just as good (well, maybe just one notch down the Acad one). Plus, Hasegawa 2-seaters usually give you THREE pilot figures (one with the older HGU-33 type helmet & the other 2 with what appears to be NVGs -Night Vision Goggles).

So, get the Academy but keep an open mind about the Hase one (esp if it's on sale). Most people stay away from the Fujimi one because of over-engineering & nose shape issues (even though the airframe panel line details are good).

I'm sorry, but I feel that I have to chip in again here.... The term "cheap Hasegawa" is an oxy-moron. I don't know about anywhere else in the world, but down here in Oz, Academy is consistently cheaper than Hasegawa, including the Hornet. There might be some online retailers that might sell Hasegawa for a tad cheaper than Hornet, but I'm yet to see a large enough difference to justify Hasegawa over Academy.

Gettin' off my soap box now.... :woot.gif:

'Later! :cheers:

While this is true, the Academy's also typically the cheaper kit unless you're finding older Hasegawa releases on significant discount.

Note the Academy is not without its warts though, the main landing gear in particular do not splay nearly enough, giving the academy kit an odd sit when viewed from directly in front or directly to the rear of the aircraft.

I'm sorry, but I feel that I have to chip in again here.... The term "cheap Hasegawa" is an oxy-moron. I don't know about anywhere else in the world, but down here in Oz, Academy is consistently cheaper than Hasegawa, including the Hornet. There might be some online retailers that might sell Hasegawa for a tad cheaper than Hornet, but I'm yet to see a large enough difference to justify Hasegawa over Academy.

Gettin' off my soap box now.... :woot.gif:

'Later! :cheers:

I really disagree with this. Most online retailers sell the hasegawa white box at about 960 Yen (12 USD), where the best price for an Academy is about 15 dollars USD at luckymodels, (I think this is a sale price.) Generally you'll see it at about 22~32 dollars. Moreover its kinda easy to find hasegawa kits for less at conventions and ebay, as its an older kit.

Having built both I do find the Hase kit easier to build, for no other reason than having a lot fewer parts. Still the non-existent cockpit and intakes are a minus.

+1 one of the nicest bug I have seen. my advice would be to look for it on Lucky model, they have the Chippy Ho! boxing for right around $20 which I think sells for close to $40 on squadron.

Just got mine today; I was pleased to find that as well as TWO 'Chippy Ho!' markings (Atsugi and USS George Washington, 2009), the decals also feature a lo-viz VFA-195 bird (#401).

What to say? Easily the nicest 1/72 Hornet right now.