to all sporting fans(nascar)

found out today that funding for the sporting events fly by has been cut. does anyone have the beef on this one,my father a big jr. fan my son likes jimmy me the best part of the race was the fly by,aslo did the ANG and ARMY stop sponcering dale and rayns cars

I'm really surprised to see so many folks surprised about these types of budget cuts.

This is what happens when the economy sux and the government is spending your great grandchildren's generations money.

Better get used to it too, it will get worse before it gets better.

I'm really surprised to see so many folks surprised about these types of budget cuts.

This is what happens when the economy sux and the government is spending your great grandchildren's generations money.

This exactly

Can't see it getting any worse than things were back in 08-09. Pretty much all metrics have been trending up in the last few years. Personally, I'm not close to saying that life is perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than it was when the last guy left office. Most of the folks I know that were out of work have now found decent jobs, housing values are finally going up, stock market has made up nearly all of it's losses (until it crashes when we go over the cliff). All in all, still have a way to go but things could also be much, much worse.

Folks can't slag the gub'ment for overspending and then cry that their beloved social program, nearby military base, favorite fighter jet, or local airshow gets eliminated.

Not aiming that last comment at Jason's post, just a general observation. Everyone wants to cut federal spending, so long as their pet program is left untouched. This has been true regardless of what party has been in office.

As far as eliminating fly-overs - who cares? Is a 15 second straight and level pass over your stadium really that big of deal?

Can't see it getting any worse than things were back in 08-09. Pretty much all metrics have been trending up in the last few years. Personally, I'm not close to saying that life is perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than it was when the last guy left office. Most of the folks I know that were out of work have now found decent jobs, housing values are finally going up, stock market has made up nearly all of it's losses (until it crashes when we go over the cliff). All in all, still have a way to go but things could also be much, much worse.

Folks can't slag the gub'ment for overspending and then cry that their beloved social program, nearby military base, favorite fighter jet, or local airshow gets eliminated.

Not aiming that last comment at Jason's post, just a general observation. Everyone wants to cut federal spending, so long as their pet program is left untouched. This has been true regardless of what party has been in office.

As far as eliminating fly-overs - who cares? Is a 15 second straight and level pass over your stadium really that big of deal?

Not sure if you misread or read into my post. I'm not for spending any money on any "pet" program. I don't have a pet program personally. I'd stop ALL airshows and anything that spends defense dollars without any appreciable return. Everybody here can string me up in effigy, but airshows while great to go to, are a waste of taxpayer dollars in my opinion. Especially when defense dollars are coming at a premium. Spending the money on service member welfare, new equipment, equipment upgrades and training is at the top on my list of defense spending.

If I were in charge, I'd cut stuff across the board. I'd probably start with the billions of dollars in foreign aid being pumped into Pakistan and all these other countries that tell us to pound sand on a daily basis. We've got plenty of our own problems to use the money on.

Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt all basically look like the next Iran to me. No need to pump money and military equipment into those places.

...but it's a hell of a lot better than it was when the last guy left office. Most of the folks I know that were out of work have now found decent jobs, housing values are finally going up, stock market has made up nearly all of it's losses (until it crashes when we go over the cliff). All in all, still have a way to go but things could also be much, much worse...

Just imagine how much better and sooner it could have been better if this guy WAS described as "THAT LAST GUY" :woot.gif: (no names = no politics right? :rolleyes:

Bill

Just imagine how much better and sooner it could have been better if this guy WAS described as "THAT LAST GUY" :woot.gif:/> (no names = no politics right? :rolleyes:/>

Bill

Cause that "other guy" would have done such a better job.

God dam I hate politics in this country. It's all bs bs bs bs bs none of them are true to their word.

And Jason that's all fine and good but what happens 20 years down the line when there are no pilots to fly the jets and no service men to work on them because no one wanted to join the military since it wasnt cool? Air shows do a LOT for recruiting in this country. Especially the on base free to the public air shows.

This is typical government thinking, step over a dollar to save a nickel.

We need to adopt the Thunderdome amendment, lock all the congress critters in a room with clubs, chainsaws, modified lawn mowers, spears etc, then the doors remain locked until there is a signed budget. :P

Cause that "other guy" would have done such a better job.

----dam I hate politics in this country. It's all bs bs bs bs bs none of them are true to their word.

I'll just say one more thing. Not political, just a bit of "country logic". If you're sitting in the bottom of a hole and trying to dig your way out, you're not going to be any more successful if you get a bunch of your friends to join you in the digging. Sure, there are more people working at digging, but they are still just digging.

Bill

The trillions of dollars of debt that has accumulated in the last four years is ... well ... "Unpatriotic" ... :whistle:/>

-Gregg

To be honest the huge accumulation of debt has been going on a lot longer than just the last four years. We were spending billions a day in Iraq/Afghanistan at the height of operations there for one thing.

That said, it certainly has picked up at a breakneck pace more recently.....

My 2 cents.

My gut is now telling me this grounding of fly by stuff and the cut backs of air show demos is NOT being done by any one person in govt. regardless of party in power. It's now looking to me like the higher ups and their crony bureaucrats inside the Pentagon are using this cutting of providing assets for fly bys, parades and air show demos as a way to cast a light to show public being upset at not being able to see what is in reality pennies of tax dollars being spent here and giving back to the tax payer including the potential of recruiting tools and thus this anger may then ring in the halls of govt. and its bureaucrats holding purse strings to not go through with any or all of the DoD budget cuts.

This is NOT about the Pentagon and its depts. really saving money. Air shows, fly bys, other civil interactions by the military etc. are pennies in total costs. But they are the only DIRECT connection to the public and the taxpayer that the Pentagon has and the public likes to see of their tax dollars in entertaining ways through their military. Grounding this stuff will not save one soldier from any further PTSD or other health help. It won't give one grunt any extra bullets, new boots or uniforms. It won't keep one more tank or APC running with any more hours of use being made available. It's not going to give the aircraft being used today any more in flight ops time. It's all penny saved but pound foolish.

Misguided wars and conflicts etc. costs 100-1000 times more than any of the public displays, parades, functions that any dept. of the Pentagon give to the tax paying public. The higher ups, cronies and their bureaucrats all know it, but this sort of cuts and groundings will hear public cry out that they want to see their military on display, at parades and at air shows giving demos. As such I bet these Pentagon guys hope it may help them get some of its projected cuts reversed. :hmmm:/>

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo

And Jason that's all fine and good but what happens 20 years down the line when there are no pilots to fly the jets and no service men to work on them because no one wanted to join the military since it wasnt cool? Air shows do a LOT for recruiting in this country. Especially the on base free to the public air shows.

Look, the simple fact of the matter is that send AF aircraft out to airshows is mostly coming out of the defense budget and simply put there isn't going to be enough money going forward. Like I said, as a former service member the priorities are a little different on how I think that money should be spent, as I mentioned above. The welfare and training of our troops and service members is above PR in my book. Do you actually think that no one will join the AF? I can't speak for others, but I didn't join the Army because I thought it "was cool". Seriously, the airshows aren't even that big of a deal with recruiting at the end of the day. Do you honestly think that nobody is going to want to join the AF just because we go a couple of three seasons with minimal airshows?

The Army and Marines seem to do fine in their recruiting efforts without the aid of airshows, I'm sure the Air Force will survive as well.

The trillions of dollars of debt that has accumulated in the last four years is ... well ... "Unpatriotic" ... :whistle:/>

-Gregg

Gregg, you may want to roll your debt calculations back to about the year 2000. It has been bad since then.

No flyovers for a race? Who gives a shiite? A fighter jet flying straight and level and a bunch of cars making only left turns. Two pretty boring things in my book.