a Syrian Mig-23 was shot down by a Turkish F-16

Is that confirmed it was a MiG-23, or did the editor of the site pull a stock news image of a MiG-23 to go with the story because it was Syrian?

Same story, showing an L-39 dropping bombs.

Israeli news site showing an L-39

RT showing a Turkish F-16, but doubtful it's the actual Viper involved.

Edit - Don't ask me to look at CNN. They won't report what's going on in Venezuela because they're too busy positing about mini-black holes and talking to psychics about the fate of MH370. Psychics.

Edited by Tony Stark

nobody said mig 23 officially.. I call the plane mig 23 because there are actual video at turkish televisions and syrian AC really looks like mig 23. here: http://www.sabah.com.tr/webtv/turkiye/suriye-savas-ucagi-boyle-vuruldu

edit: officially anounced that it was a mig-23 http://www.tsk.tr/3_basin_yayin_faaliyetleri/3_1_basin_aciklamalari/2014/ba_04.htm

Edited by A.C.Acikgoz

That image on the BBC article looks more like MiG-29 to my eyes, not Su-27

Seems to have a tail stinger and the hor-stabs strike me as more Flankery. But, the image does seem odd. Was it from an airshow? I can't recall any imagery of a flaming Flanker flutter its way into the ground.

I have no idea where BBC pulled that image from. It clearly looks doctored. It has the text "Anadolu Agency" on it, but that looks nothing like the real AA watermark. And I am having difficulty finding any image from AA that looks similar to it.

The only legitimate-looking image circulating in the Turkish and international press clearly shows a fleeing MiG-23, next to the plume of the wreckage.

cc25c5c0-b280-11e3-bdc6-f54a7b237ab0-jpg20140323154547.jpg

The official explanation from the Turkish Joint Command clearly states it was a pair of MiG-23. It is likely to be an AIM-9X kill like the Mi-8 shot down a while ago, most Turkish F-16s on alert duty in that area are equipped with live AIM-9X/AIM-120 at all times.

Edited by KursadA

I have no idea where BBC pulled that image from. It clearly looks doctored. It has the text "Anadolu Agency" on it, but that looks nothing like the real AA watermark.

It doesn't look doctored at all. It is just crappy quality picture of russian Su-27.

The only legitimate-looking image circulating in the Turkish and international press clearly shows a fleeing MiG-23, next to the plume of the wreckage.

Nope. Those plumes are after it fired rocket pods, not from any damaged fighter. Besides...

The official explanation from the Turkish Joint Command clearly states it was a pair of MiG-23.

Yes, and it also states that one MiG-23 turned away, while the other one didn't. There was a considerable spacing between them two.

I have no idea where BBC pulled that image from. It clearly looks doctored. It has the text "Anadolu Agency" on it, but that looks nothing like the real AA watermark. And I am having difficulty finding any image from AA that looks similar to it.

cc25c5c0-b280-11e3-bdc6-f54a7b237ab0-jpg20140323154547.jpg

The official explanation from the Turkish Joint Command clearly states it was a pair of MiG-23. It is likely to be an AIM-9X kill like the Mi-8 shot down a while ago, most Turkish F-16s on alert duty in that area are equipped with live AIM-9X/AIM-120 at all times.

The BBC uses the same style of watermark for all pictures that it uses, but does not own the copyright to;

_73764257_73764248.jpg

_73760913_luxury.jpg

_73763769_021641294-1.jpg

I don't think the image is doctored, at least not by the BBC, as the caption reads 'A state-owned Turkish news agency carried pictures it said showed the Syrian jet being shot down'. To me it looks like a still from a video, but whether that's from this incident or something else is anyone's guess.

Vince

The photograph used by the BBC is of a Su27 taken at MAKS 2007 and has been doctored.

See here http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=287&t=95132

There we go. Just low quality version (on purpose) of a photograph that has nothing with the incident to do.

There is a video now of the MiG-23 going down, allahu snackbar warning: