GWH MiG-29 pylons?

Pardon if there is a thread somewhere about this. If there is, I can't find it...

Are the missile pylons in the GWH MiG-29 correct? I seem to recall they're too short, but I'm coming up dry so far. Did I make that up?

What!?!? The missiles (those gorgeous one-piece missiles) are too short?!?!

I'm hoping not to have to buy another kit to rob missiles and pylons from, since I'll be right where I started - a kit without ordnance.

Missiles were correct, pylons and tanks were too small. They were corrected in 9-13 and 9-12 Early boxings, and also in later production batches of the original 9-12 Late kit.

Missiles were correct, pylons and tanks were too small. They were corrected in 9-13 and 9-12 Early boxings, and also in later production batches of the original 9-12 Late kit.

I stand corrected about the missiles. I have the 9.13 boxing and it seems that it does not have the retooled wing tanks. I am unsure if the pylons were retooled in this boxing.

Mark

So are there aftermarket corrected pylons? I can't see buying a second kit to rob pylons from, then be left with a pylon-less kit..

I dont know about the aftermarket examples, have no idea from what information they were made. One thing I know that I went out to measure the actual missile rails on the MiG-29 Fulcrums and the underwing fuel tanks (they are the same as the one used on the Su-17/22 family of aircraft). The measurements were sent to Great Wall Hobby and in the second half of last year the revised and correctly scaled, reworked rails and fuel tanks were added to the kits. So they sould be as authentic as you can get. You have to ask the aftermarket people where they got the measurements . . .

Best regards

Gabor

So are there aftermarket corrected pylons? I can't see buying a second kit to rob pylons from, then be left with a pylon-less kit..

Red Bear Resin and Karaya makes 1/48 MiG-29 pylon sets... but i have no clue about their accuracy...

(Karaya use molds from czech FM details (not fonderie miniature!) sets for 1/48 MiG-29)

Eduard makes R-60, R-73 and R-27 sets (Brassin), which include pylons for MiG-29. Those are the dark gray parts shown by Mario above. I don't think they were conceived to correct GWH parts, but rather as add-ons for any kit.

Yeah, I'm not so impressed with Eduard right now. Unless some disinterested third party has vetted their accuracy, I'm not assuming that with Eduard.

i compared the resin pylons provided with the 1/48 MiG-29 FM detail set i have in my possession with the pylons provided with the Eduard's Brassin Missiles sets (R-27's and R-73's)

first of all, the FM (karaya) set have pylons for R-27 (2x) R-73 (2x) and R-60 (2x)

so, you will be missing two R-73 pylons, as the GWH late MiG-29A and 9-13 version have no R-60 in the kit's box... (if you have the Early boxing, you won't need new pylons as the where already corrected prior that release...)

secondly, the FM pylons i have compared to Brassin's ones, where slightly shorter (about 1mm shorter) ...and FM details where slightly less "crisper/sharp" than eduard's ones...

the only problem i see with the Eduard's pylons is that they only come in the missiles sets!, so, to get them, you'll have to buy one R-73 set (you'll hate 4 pylons) ...and one R-27 set (you'll hate 4 pylons)... in the end you'll get unused kit missiles (what a waste) or unused resin missiles! (what a waste! !!)

Edited by mingwin

the "best" solution for you, would be to have someone that could cast you resin copies of the corrected GWH parts for you.... if it's *ethically* acceptable... i don't know...

Yeah, I'm not so impressed with Eduard right now. Unless some disinterested third party has vetted their accuracy, I'm not assuming that with Eduard.

Understandable, but I think these missiles and pylons were designed by their 'A-Team' ;). To me Eduard looks better than Karaya/FM Details, SOL, etc.

My 2 cents.

GWH is sending me a set of the revised sprues... smile.gif

I think they should send them to anybody who requests them even paying a reasonable fee.

Everybody got excited when the Haneto showed the first sprues of the Mig-29 and the response to the pylons and tanks wrongly scaled were a lot less strong that I have seen to any mistake from any other manufacturer.

I still believe it is a great kit, but the small pylons is what bothers me more specially when you have so nice missiles in the kit. The tanks are small too, but since the tanks were not used very often, I can live without them.

Solher

Edited by solher1

The 9-13 has several corrected parts, including the pylons and tanks, as well as the engine bulges for the bottom (IIRC).

But the pylons and tanks were still wrong.

Solher