1/48 Tarangus Viggen

It's the opposite.....

The Airfix/Esci kit is entirely fiction and only have passing resemblance of the subject. It needs major work to come close....

The Tarangus have the shapes and dimensions correct but needs to adjust some details like the shape of the canard flaps, the vertical stab and detailng on the tail cone.

Both kits needs to add a RAT.... and there's always detailing work for us to do:D

Hi,

You mean that the old Esci Viggen is misshapen beyond fix?

That's very interesting. I always tought this kit needs many different aftermarket (canopy, radome, belly, etc.) but that the overall shape and dimensions were good.

If I remember well, you posted a very interesting in progress build of your Esci Viggen. So, would you post some side by side picture just to show us the main shape differences between these two kits?

Best,

Hi,

You mean that the old Esci Viggen is misshapen beyond fix?

That's very interesting. I always tought this kit needs many different aftermarket (canopy, radome, belly, etc.) but that the overall shape and dimensions were good.

If I remember well, you posted a very interesting in progress build of your Esci Viggen. So, would you post some side by side picture just to show us the main shape differences between these two kits?

Best,

I'll see about that :)/> was thinking of something like that...

Everything is fixable....it's only plastic but the work and effort can be disproportionate to the gain.

Here's a link to my Airfix/Esci AJ37 build to refresh you of my misery and epic battle with that kit :P/>

AJ37 "Attackviggen"

I used pretty much everything thatt was out there for this build and I'd say I managed about 80% correctness in overall accuracy.

Edited by Aigore

Hi All,

I did My Viggen using the old Esci kit and although I did a lot of sanding and rescribing, I was happy with the end result.

I just don't feel like paying what Tarangus is asking for the new Viggen kit. Hasegawa Draken is in a different league.

I will wait until another manufactures does one. GWH, Kinetic are you listening?

Juan

Guarantee either Trumpeter or Hobby Boss will eventually make one. HB have both a Tunnan and a Lansen in the pipeline. It's a matter of time.

You can also guarantee if either Trumpy or Hobby Booboo do a Viggen, it may fit better than the Airfix/ESCI kit, but it WILL be just as inaccurate, if not more inaccurate. <_<

You can also guarantee if either Trumpy or Hobby Booboo do a Viggen, it may fit better than the Airfix/ESCI kit, but it WILL be just as inaccurate, if not more inaccurate. <_</>/>

Nah...it'll have gorgeous details, great fit. ...but there would be ONE major thing that's so wrong it almost ruins the model :P/>

I have high hopes for the MPM release of the kit, specially the price! They ate probably smart and sell it for 60% of the Tarangus peice and out sell Tarangus by tenfold!

Edited by Aigore

I have high hopes for the MPM release of the kit, specially the price! They ate probably smart and sell it for 60% of the Tarangus peice and out sell Tarangus by tenfold!

Since it is a joined development, I am not sure that the Czech side will be allowed to sell it at a very different price from the Tarangus. If yes it would be a “very interesting” cooperation between the two companies, but I don’t know the details of course just thinking out loud.

Best regards

Gabor

Since it is a joined development, I am not sure that the Czech side will be allowed to sell it at a very different price from the Tarangus. If yes it would be a “very interesting” cooperation between the two companies, but I don’t know the details of course just thinking out loud.

Best regards

Gabor

Very true.....fun to speculate tho......and wish :)

Wow...wish they would come up with a RAT and some new canards with the right flap.

But the kit and a couple of those sets will shoot a big hole in my wallet.

If you check the previous page you see that Pilot replicas are goint to to do some resin for Viggen...a new RAT amongst everything else :D/>

Cheap it will not be, as Yoda would have put it...

Perhaps the MPM release will be cheaper......

Edited by Aigore
  • 5 months later...

so anyone have a definitive list of correction parts needed to build a "perfect" replica

for the AJ:

tail end RWR and ventral strake (coming form Maestro)

pitot (Master)

seat (Pilot-Replicas)

RAT (Pilot-Replicas)

Tyres (coming from Two Mikes)

ventral air intake (coming from Maestro)

pylons (Maestro)

flaps (Maestro, but it is easy to cut and save those in the kit)

foreplanes-canards (Maestro)

for the JA

tail end RWR (coming from Maestro)

pitot (Master)

seat (Pilot-Replicas)

RAT (Pilot-Replicas)

Tyres (coming from Two Mikes)

tail (Maestro)

pylons (Maestro)

flaps (Maestro, but it is easy to cut and save those in the kit)

foreplanes-canards (Maestro)

for the JA 37 Di

all those mentioned for the JA plus:

PE set for cokpit (Maestro)

chaff dispensers (Maestro)

For sure I forgot something and some scratchbuilding is still needed (antennas- position lights, slime lights, etc...)