1/32 Czech FA2-3 Buffalo

Looking good! I like your Dark Gull Green mix, and I like your knobs.

Yes. I did just say that!

I did an Airfix 1/72 Buffalo a year or so ago and wouldn't mind another, but it's a way down The List. So I'm content to follow your build :thumbsup:

Mark,

Thanks so much for stopping by and liking my efforts.

The contrasting colors really started out as the wrong color for the rudder peddle assembly. Then I just gave them a light dusting of the DDG as it will get a heavy doss of gray and silver dry brushing.

The missing IP place card isn't on the decal sheet. I wish it was. I've been going through my decals and have found a few that look ok, but I'm still trying to decide on which one to use. Since the IP is already finished, I can't gloss coat it, then decal, then flat coat it, without ruining the clear acetate lenses on the Instruments. So I'm trying to get up the nerve to dip the decal into Pledge then place it on the IP. The other idea I have it to sand the pack of the decal while its on the backing paper, and when it's as thin as I think I can get it, just white glue it to he IP. That sounds like my best option.

As for the hinges for the rudder, I'm going to try and make inserts from sheet plastic and lay them right over the recessed hinge and butt it up against the rudder.

Joel

Hey Joel, I was just going to suggest (but you beat me to it!) that maybe you could mask off the area where the decal is supposed to go with tape and brush on Micro Gloss or equivalent, apply the decal, and brush over it again with Micro Semi-Gloss or whatever you would choose. The plaque, I should think, would have more of a semi matt appearance even with the matt finish you have on the IP. Either way you choose to apply the plaque, I know it will turn out great.

-Mark

Edited by taggor

Looking good! I like your Dark Gull Green mix, and I like your knobs.

Yes. I did just say that!

I did an Airfix 1/72 Buffalo a year or so ago and wouldn't mind another, but it's a way down The List. So I'm content to follow your build :thumbsup:/>

Zac, yeah you said it. I nearly fell off my chair! Now that's pretty funny. Glad you're along for the ride.

Joel

Hey Joel, I was just going to suggest (but you beat me to it!) that maybe you could mask off the area where the decal is supposed to go with tape and brush on Micro Gloss or equivalent, apply the decal, and brush over it again with Micro Semi-Gloss or whatever you would choose. The plaque, I should think, would have more of a semi matt appearance even with the matt finish you have on the IP. Either way you choose to apply the plaque, I know it will turn out great.

-Mark

Mark,

I tried one time to brush on Dullcoat, and it ate right through the basecoat and paint. The problem with trying to mask and air brush the flat on is that the area is so small. Since the plate is that and not paint, a raised edge would actually be realistic, so I'll try my sand and pray method 1st.

I've been emailing Jim Maas who literally wrote the book on Buffalos about interior colors, and he's got me on the right track now.

Joel

I'm super interested in following this one.

Great subject matter, very nice work.

Exhausted

Thanks so much for your comments. Looking forward to having you along for the ride.

Joel

Hi Joel,

nice work on the seat, looks so much better now. This shows that one doesn't necessary need a lot of resin to improve a kit. Some good old elbow grease will do just fine.

The Buffalo is for sure one of those unsung heroes of the Pacific war. Although already obsolete at service entry it soldiered on and took part in the first decisive battles.

Coupled with its stubby appearance (looks something like a militarized Gee Bee Racer) it makes an interesting subject.

So I will sit back and watch as this build unfolds...

Cheers

Markus

Hi Joel,

nice work on the seat, looks so much better now. This shows that one doesn't necessary need a lot of resin to improve a kit. Some good old elbow grease will do just fine.

The Buffalo is for sure one of those unsung heroes of the Pacific war. Although already obsolete at service entry it soldiered on and took part in the first decisive battles.

Coupled with its stubby appearance (looks something like a militarized Gee Bee Racer) it makes an interesting subject.

So I will sit back and watch as this build unfolds...

Cheers

Markus

Markus,

Welcome aboard.

That's how I look at a lot of detailing. If I can improve it myself, I rather go that way then just buy a "better mouse trap". Even if my work isn't as good or as detailed, I know I gave it my best shot, and I can take pride in my personal effort.

Been doing way more then my usual min amount of research thanks to meeting Jim Maas a living Legend on the Buffalo. Jim has kept me on the right course, and pointed out things that I would have missed for sure. Further research has proven almost all of his suggestions as accurate. I'll keep those that aren't directly related to the cockpit for now out of the discussion till they come up. I can guarantee you that the two that I'm not researching would have slipped right by.

Joel

Great progress Joel. Really enjoying this as I love the Buffalo. I have the British version of the SH kit so I will be following this with interest.

Crobinsonh,

Thanks so much for stopping by and enjoying my build and progress. It's turning out to be way more then that, as the involvement in research thanks to Jim has made this a rare special journey for me. While I have and do build jets, I always feel like a complete newbie with little to no knowledge about the subject matter, thus missing and or making the dumbest of mistakes.

Joel

Just tuning into your build now Joel. Great work so far and some nice information posted. Looking forward to following along.

Regards,

Don.

Just tuning into your build now Joel. Great work so far and some nice information posted. Looking forward to following along.

Regards,

Don.

Don,

Thanks for appreciating the work I've done so far. Looking forward to having you along for the ride.

Joel

Work has continued on the cockpit. Each fuselage half was painted with Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminum to represent a final coating of Aluminum dope that was applied over clear Zinc Chromate. What I didn't want was the finish to look like raw Aluminum if I used Alcad11 #101 Flat Aluminum.

I then masked off the cockpit area and painted it with my custom mix of Tamiya acrylic Dark Dull Green.I finished detailing and enhancing the Starboard fuselage side with a cable for the trim wheel, rods for the throttle, and some electrical wiring. The goal here was just to make the side wall look somewhat busier then pure box stock.

F2A-3%20Buffalo_16_1.jpg

Next was the addition of the pilot's bucket seat assembly.

F2A-3%20Buffalo_22.jpg

And then I dry fitted the IP/rudder sub assembly.

F2A-3%20Buffalo_25.jpg

F2A-3%20Buffalo_23.jpg

And once again, you're up to pace with my build.

Joel

Beautiful Joel..your builds just get better and better!

Shaka,

Thanks so much for those kind words. So far the Buffalo has been a pleasant surprise being a multi media, limited edition kit. I'm sure that it has more then it's share of surprises waiting for me.

Joel

Love the stuff you're dishing out here, Joel! And those added details do make the front office look busier. I'm sure it feels good to work on props again! I have an SBD that's been waiting to be put together for the longest time -- I feel really inspired to work on her -- if not for all the other projects I have going on. And I really like the way you tackle models -- one at a time -- just pressing on until you finish one before starting another. And you really finish them. It's just like telling stories with satisfying endings.

Hey Joel! Just as crackerjazz said, "the office" has come together really well. I especially like the small details you have brought out in it. Including the placard! Haha. Your skills just become more masterful as you charge ahead from kit to kit! Which I think, is a natural progression. Also, to echo crackerjazz, you are doing it right by focusing all your attention on one kit. Lesson learned! (Hopefully :woot.gif: )Even though I chose to add a second kit to my current, I can see how it has slowed progress down for me from a kit that otherwise needs my full attention. Eagerly looking forward to the next update!

-Mark

Edited by taggor

Love the stuff you're dishing out here, Joel! And those added details do make the front office look busier. I'm sure it feels good to work on props again! I have an SBD that's been waiting to be put together for the longest time -- I feel really inspired to work on her -- if not for all the other projects I have going on. And I really like the way you tackle models -- one at a time -- just pressing on until you finish one before starting another. And you really finish them. It's just like telling stories with satisfying endings.

Crackerjazz,

Thanks so much for those most kind words. Yeah, I guess I'm just a prop man at heart, but the 2 Academy F-4s and the Eduard F-14 are still calling my name daily. As for just working on one model at a time, it's the only way I've ever really done it. Although I do have the Tamiya P-47D cockpit with basic paint in the box but that's as far as I got with it as a duel build. I really admire you guys that can multi build. My brother, who builds 1/32 scale has both the Tamiya Viper on his workbench, and the Meteor resin kit with a conversion no less. I have no idea of how he does what he does. But he's a way better modeler then I'll ever be.

I'm looking forward to your SBD build whenever you get the desire to tackle it.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Hey Joel! Just as crackerjazz said, "the office" has come together really well. I especially like the small details you have brought out in it. Including the placard! Haha. Your skills just become more masterful as you charge ahead from kit to kit! Which I think, is a natural progression. Also, to echo crackerjazz, you are doing it right by focusing all your attention on one kit. Lesson learned! (Hopefully :woot.gif:/> )Even though I chose to add a second kit to my current, I can see how it has slowed progress down for me from a kit that otherwise needs my full attention. Eagerly looking forward to the next update!

-Mark

Mark,

Thanks.

See, I did try to add that placard. It's really not that close to what it should be, but that was the best I could come up with, and once the fuselage halves are together, no one will even take more then a glance at it.

I figure that each of us has just so much modeling time and that's it. Doesn't really matter how many kits you're building, the time still is a constant. So if you're working on 2 kits, then each gets only half the time, so it takes twice as long to build. In the end, we both will reach the finish line at the same time, and with the same number of models. Strange but the math does work out that way.

Joel

John,

Thanks. Didn't know you were moving?

Joel

Joel - I'm off with the family to new digs in Houston TX. I'm currently in the process of "keep or lose" with my stash as the new place is a condo. I'll find something for you and let you know.

John

Ehi Joel great pit!

I remember as a child when see pics of the Buffalos on my dad books that I think how in the World this little squat bird can be a match foe an Imperial Zeke?

But is shape is adorable anyway!

I follow your progress mate!

Gianni