Revell pops one out here and there, the Lysander I posted earlier was Revell, I've got a Heyford in a Revell box, I think I saw the Twin Otter is due to be re-issued sometime this year. They just dribble them out here and there, would be nice to see them dig a little deeper and open the tap a bit faster.

When they re-issued the Revell P-26 and Stearman a couple of years ago, I was hoping they would get to the Matchbox and Monogram interwar aircraft, but no luck so far.

I've got the Revell boxing of the 1/48 AD-5 percolating along. I have a Cobra Co cockpit, fixed the wheel wells, and closed up those wing folds. I still need to rescribe the wings. Haven't looked much at the engine.

• 1 month later...

Been going through my stash (100% Matchbox) and figuring out which duplicates I can build, given I've now built all my non-Matchbox builder kits.

Checking the inventory

MatchboxCollection_zpsfzyw6ghx.jpg

Classic Matchbox box-art

MatchboxStash_zpsiw4rahzo.jpg

Some duplicates for building

MatchboxBuilders_zps1j3xsjkv.jpg

What an awesome collection :thumbsup:/> ! Seriously, I am envious of a few of those kits. Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Don.

Cheers Don. Only just over half way there though in my quest!

Ah, those multicolored sprues. That brings back pleasant memories. Popping open a box after coming back from the local dept store, having spent my weekly allowance on a Matchbox (or Monogram) kit. Building said kit right there on the kitchen table.

I would love to do the Matchbox Victor if I could find one (I think Revell reissued it...?). That or the Wellington for nostalgia sake. Great little kits that bring back fond memories of simpler times.

Happy modeling!

Don.

Ah, those multicolored sprues. That brings back pleasant memories. Popping open a box after coming back from the local dept store, having spent my weekly allowance on a Matchbox (or Monogram) kit. Building said kit right there on the kitchen table.

Me too. That's why I collect and build a few. They are no pressure kits that take me back to the reason I do this hobby.

I would love to do the Matchbox Victor if I could find one (I think Revell reissued it...?). That or the Wellington for nostalgia sake. Great little kits that bring back fond memories of simpler times.

Happy modeling!

Don.

Used to see the Victor quite often on Ebay, but not so much now.

Me too. That's why I collect and build a few. They are no pressure kits that take me back to the reason I do this hobby.

Used to see the Victor quite often on Ebay, but not so much now.

Revell have just re-issued it I believe.

----------------

Been going through my stash (100% Matchbox) and figuring out which duplicates I can build, given I've now built all my non-Matchbox builder kits.

Checking the inventory

MatchboxCollection_zpsfzyw6ghx.jpg

Classic Matchbox box-art

MatchboxStash_zpsiw4rahzo.jpg

Some duplicates for building

MatchboxBuilders_zps1j3xsjkv.jpg

Worth it just for the box art :)/>

The Huxley era Matchbox stuff is still some of the best, most evocative boxart ever produced in my opinion.

Does anyone else remember the 500 piece puzzles produced of some of those, or were they just a NZ thing? I have the puzzle for the Hurricane stashed somewhere at my parents place I think.

Edited by Mumbles

Having cut my modelling teeth on Frog kits I found it an enjoyable transition to Matchbox in the early 70's. In particular I enjoyed Matchox's willingness to produce injection kits of a/c not previously available in plastic, ex. Siskin, Twin Otter, Norseman, Stranraer etc. I'm glad to see that Revell have reissued some of these kits.

In case anyone dose'nt realize it a nice book was published on the history of Matchox kits in 2011. It was called 1973-2000 The Story of Matchbox Kits by Jean-Christophe Carbonel. It's only 82 pages but then the company didn't have a long kit history.

Knowing that collection exists makes me happy.

Me too. I'm still trying to add but it is becoming an expensive exercise!

Found a few of crackers in a local Antique shop down the road about 10yrs ago. Gave him an old pram in exchange for 3 kits including the big Privateer. Went back there y'day for another peek, but nothing :crying2:

Also saw a couple on the local buy/swap/sell website the other day, but already had those.

I stopped collecting them for about 5 years when I got obsessed with triathlon, but after I destroyed my body doing that, I've settled back to a more sedentary interests :lol:

Having cut my modelling teeth on Frog kits I found it an enjoyable transition to Matchbox in the early 70's. In particular I enjoyed Matchox's willingness to produce injection kits of a/c not previously available in plastic, ex. Siskin, Twin Otter, Norseman, Stranraer etc. I'm glad to see that Revell have reissued some of these kits.

In case anyone dose'nt realize it a nice book was published on the history of Matchox kits in 2011. It was called 1973-2000 The Story of Matchbox Kits by Jean-Christophe Carbonel. It's only 82 pages but then the company didn't have a long kit history.

Really! I'll have to track that down. Our eldest daughter gave me the 74 Matchbox catalogue for a birthday, she found it somewhere in a 2nd hand bookstore.

Edited by Thommo
  • 4 weeks later...

The stash has grown a little. Been trying to get the Wellesley (damn that thing is ugly) and the Siddley 125 for years.

MoreMatchbox1_zpssqesnjee.jpg

Whoa...SWEET :thumbsup: !! Awesome finds! Congrats...my jealousy just increased... :lol:

Regards,

Don.

Christ knows what I'll do when I have the full set - give em to the kids as their inheritance perhaps :blink:

They are a full on nostalgic endulgence for me - halycon days when I was 10 in a small country town scanning the Newsagents shelves for my next Matchbox build.

:D, Nah Thommo. Spend the kids' inheritance. Let 'em find their own Matchbox kits if they want 'em so much. Build those suckers. Your Gladiatior is coming along nicely there mate. Keep going with it and show us the final result when she's finished.

:cheers:,

Ross.

I know I've probably already said this, but I miss the matchbox armor kits too. They were great little kits. A well detailed tank/AFV, a nice figure or two, and a neat diorama base/setting. They also did some ship models that I remember some guys in the club building back in the day. Good old Matchbox :thumbsup: .

Cheers all :cheers: !

Don.

I know I've probably already said this, but I miss the matchbox armor kits too. They were great little kits. A well detailed tank/AFV, a nice figure or two, and a neat diorama base/setting.

Quite a lot of those have been reboxed by RoG.

Cheers,

Andre

I would like to do a matchbox lancaster and a heinkel 111 if I could find them. Found a lanc on evilbay a few years ago but it wasn't complete.

The Lancs come up quite a bit on Ebay. The 111 used to, but less so now.

I built the Lanc I had with my nephew one Xmas hols, so now need another.