Clever workspace ideas? Let's hear em.

Today, I built a new workbench. It's crude, consisting right now of cheap 2"x4" frame and a plywood top. It's not finished; I'd like to add a fascia to keep splintering down, some amount of tempered glass surface, white sidewalls to make it a light gathering booth, and some other things I haven't thought of just yet. The experienced carpenters among you might justly yawn ("neat, Fish.") but I'm a little proud of myself. I've never been much of a carpenter at all, but I've now built several heavy-duty shelving blocks, and this bench, all since the New Year. Until now I've never tailored my workspace much for modeling, past arranging old, repurposed furniture.

Time to celebrate with Polish beer. And maybe build a model for the first time in a long time, instead of just picking at a dozen or so unfinished model projects for a few minutes on weekends, year after year. (New Year's resolutions....)

tYm2p02.jpg

But this is only Phase I. I'm going to build more benchwork, shelving, and other things in the next few months and years, as time, energy, and finances permit. I'll need to intersperse that with actual model building, too. But I thought I'd ask around for good ideas:

1. What have you built or adopted in terms of furniture, workbenches, storage, and so on, that you think is particularly clever? Think workspace, more than tools or chemicals.
  2. If you had more time, space, or money, what would you like to add to your workspace to improve it? Think specifically clever details, rather rather than the generally-defined items, like more shelving or a spray booth.

Over a course of two decades, I noticed about myself that I often build or paint models standing up, even at tables where it doesn't really make sense. I don't know why this is; I don't use a trendy stand-up desk at work. But the trend made me think: if for whatever reason I instinctively stand up while modeling, why not build for it? So this bench is about 41-42" high (I'm 6' exactly.) So far I love it.

I have more space to build, so if I really decide I don't like to stand all the time while building, or change my mind as I get older, I'll build a sit-down space, too.

I have a chair at my workbench but I stand all the time while I build, of course I also stand most of the time at work too. I guess it's gotten to be a habit and my chair had turned into a place to stack things that I'm working on.

I use the following for paint storage: Link

Each drawer will hold 20 bottles of Testor's MM paints, they'll also hold the 1/4 oz Testors' bottles, Tamiya mini's, Gunze and Citadel. I label the drawers by color family (dark gray's, green's, etc.)

And I just got some of these for larger items like sheet styrene, tape, etc.: link 2

Ken

a sturdy bench can be the backbone of a shop. if you mostly stand, consider a rail or even small box to put one foot to vary your posture. a high stool can give you a spot to "rest a cheek" and do the same. like the white walls.

Originally, I purposefully kept a rail out from the lower front of the bench, because I figured I'd kick it all the time. Now I'm coming around to seeing that you're right. Like a good bar rail, I need something on which to rest a foot occasionally.

I'm also considering some sort of wall-mounted spicerack-style thing for bottles.

Modular Workshop System :thumbsup:/>

That stuff looks awesome, and I may buy a few things like that. But I'm really trying to learn to build stuff myself. I'm not sure this strategy will even be a lot cheaper, but I need the experience with construction, for other purposes (home improvement, etc.).

Here's an early "pro-tip" I picked up: want to get wood cut quickly at the DIY store (in the U.S., Lowe's or Home Depot), without a lot of waiting or haggling with reluctant sales associates? Get there at 7:30 am Saturday. Plentiful, cheerful employees. No crowds. All I needed was one or two cuts per piece to get it all into my little roller-skate car, but the guys at both the local Home Depot and Lowe's will do a lot, carefully, and without complaint at that hour. (Oddly, in both stores, they adamantly refused my attempt to tip them at the rate of a decent lunch, saying that they were being watched by management via CCTV, who forbade employees accepting tips!)

I've read where sitting OR standing too long at a time can take years off your life. Not having all that many left that I can afford to waste any, I'm setting up my computer desk and my hobby workbench so I can either stand or sit. For the computer, I'm getting one of those adjustable tables. For my workbench, I'm simply building a small-but-sturdy stool from scrap lumber that will elevate the work surface to about 43 inches off the floor, which is comfortable for my 6"-2" height. I have an old drafting board that I'll use for the work surface. That way, I'll have a work surface I can quickly convert to one height or the other, and it will cost nothing.

I wouldn't call your bench cheap or crude at all. In fact, it looks a lot like my bench only I used 4x4s for the legs and the shelf underneath is a bit lower to hold some bigger items. Otherwise, it's almost an exact copy.

On mine, I added some small tea cup hooks on the far right hand side so I could hang my Dremmel, my airbrush and a respirator. On the front face of the bench I have an electrical outlet for me to plug in my Dremmel and my air compressor. I have another outlet on the back in which to plug in my small TV and radio.

Last year I took a welding class at the local community college which was an absolute blast. For our final project, we had to design and build anything we wanted. Some kids went the artistic route (which was great) but I went for a more practical angle and designed my own shelf system. I have shelves small enough to hold my various brands of paints, taller shelves to hold all my D&S and walk-around books, some shelves to hold a couple of heavy drinking glasses where I keep my paint brushes, etc. Here's my point about the welding class. When I took it, not everyone knew what they wanted to do for a final project so the teacher basically GAVE them their ideas based on the needs of some local businesses. I was thinking if you went to your local community college, maybe you could sketch up a design of what you want your shelves to look like and the kids can build it for you. When I did it, I only had to pay for the cost of the sheet stock. I think the custom shelf I built ran me all of $24 and it's exactly what I need. I gave it a coat of paint (since steel rusts quickly if not protected) and it sits along the back of the bench.

A year ago during a interior renovation I had the chance to make some more permanent setups in the modelling room.

My main requirements were - good light, good chair, good bench top and regularly used tools easy to hand. Oh and a computer to check model sites. :rolleyes:/>/>/>

I made this setup from kit kitchen components - it is higher than a desk but lower than a kitchen bench, that way I don't stoop over the bench so much when sitting.

This was the first setup which works well.

FullSizeRender_zpsgnyzsrpu.jpg

More recently I bought more wall racks to get more things into easy reach and off the benchtop. The light mounts were also re-positioned.

IMG_1181_zpsnhfwsbu8.jpg

The magnetic knife bar which holds anything with steel handles is worth every cent.

I watched a really interesting youtube clip on Adam Savage's workshop. For tools etc he uses a principle called "First Order Retrievability" which means the tools and materials he needs are visble, and arranged in a way that he doesn't need to move anything to get what he wants from behind it. I'm trying to apply the same philosophy to my bench. Lesser used items are kept in the draws and cupboard so I don't have to get my lazy butt out of the chair.

Search Pinterest for "workshop ides" or other appropriate terms - tons of interesting ideas there!

I watched a really interesting youtube clip on Adam Savage's workshop. For tools etc he uses a principle called "First Order Retrievability" which means the tools and materials he needs are visble, and arranged in a way that he doesn't need to move anything to get what he wants from behind it. I'm trying to apply the same philosophy to my bench. Lesser used items are kept in the draws and cupboard so I don't have to get my lazy butt out of the chair.

:thumbsup: Coming to this thread, I immediately thought of Adam Savage's workshop videos.

<...>

IMG_1181_zpsnhfwsbu8.jpg

Another satisfied user of IKEA's Tertial lamps, I see. :lol: I've got four on my bench (two for the spray booth).

• 2 weeks later...

I use a simple cafeteria type table with folding legs. Actually two. One up against the wall, the other to the right in an L shape, but room to walk between. I manage to trash both of them pretty well too! For paint and material storage, I have a roll around tool cabinet.

Last year I took a welding class at the local community college which was an absolute blast....

This is particularly attractive to me, as I've always wanted to weld, and I'd prefer steel over wood. Might be awhile 'till I get the free time, though.

The magnetic knife bar which holds anything with steel handles is worth every cent.

That's awesome, too.

I forgot to mention in my original post that the bench I built is on casters. All subsequent benchwork, and even a lot of storage racks or shelving units, will be wheeled as well. I have no trouble with the bench moving when I don't want it to, and unlike living space furniture (my workspace is in an unfinished basement) appearance is not an issue. Therefore, it's nice to have everything mobile in order to get to some part of the room to fix something, and just to change my mind as to configuration!