Best CA glue (or at least the better ones out there)

Trying to find a good CA glue. Haven't had much luck with Zap-a-gap or the Gorilla stuff. They become useless in the bottle way too quickly for my liking. Is there anything else out there I could get that lasts a little longer and is good overall at the same time?

Thanks!

Rob

Edited by galileo1

I just use the dollar store stuff, all CA glue is the same to me. The ones I get at the dollar store comes in 4 tiny tubes per package, so I usually use them up before they go bad. I use quite a bit of CA glue since I use it as filler with talcum powder.

The key is application, and I use a pin. Just apply a small dab on the tip of the pin, you can apply tiny amounts of CA glue this way. A tiny amount of CA glue goes a long way.

I've used many glues (as I use them for filling and repairs) and the definite best was Dr. Mike's:

http://drmikesglue.com/

I tested one which was left open for over a month and it was still at a close viscosity to when I opened it, It is expensive so I use the cheap glues for filling/strengthening and Dr. Mike's for assembly.

Regards,

Thanks all very much for the responses.

Saul. How did you find this Dr. Mike's CA regarding the use of accelerators? Can I use any accelerator with it? Also, how long does it take to dry when using to attach PE, for example.

Thanks very much for the link.

Rob

Edited by galileo1
How did you find this Dr. Mike's CA regarding the use of accelerators? Can I use any accelerator with it? Also, how long does it take to dry when using to attach PE, for example.

Dr. Mike's CA worked very well (and fast) with their own accelerator. It also worked with another I had (don't remember the brand but it reeked of roach spray - yuck!). It works too fast (for me) for PE. Please note that PE should be glued on using some thought as to what is needed. This is what I mean by that statement:

Is this PE to PE?

Yes or No ask the next question...

Will the PE be under stress?

If PE to PE and under stress, use soldering or epoxy cement. If PE to another material and under stress, use epoxy cement. Epoxy cement is much stronger than CA especially in shearing.

If not under stress and dissimilar materials, I user Gator's Grip Hobby Glue (easy water clean up too).

As for applicators, I have used all kinds and have been lucky enough to review many I normally would not have bought. My favorite is really simple; stretched Q-tip tubes. Please note that I named the brand of ear bud I use since it is the only one I can find with the polypropelene (or similar) tube holding the cotton swabs. I clip off the cotton and stretch the tube over a candle flame. The end fits over the CA 'precision applicator' tip and allows miniscule amounts to be deposited as needed. When clogged, simply clip and continue. By the time you use it up, have another Q-tip tube ready.

Regards,

Thank you very much for the answers, Saul! I went ahead and ordered it to see how it works. I didn't buy the accelerator as I do have the one that smells like roach spray (Bob Smith Industries). My use for CA is to glue PE to resin (no stress) and resin to plastic. I do also use CA for covering scribing mishaps. I do use Gator Grip to join larger parts that may need a bit more time to position correctly.

I appreciate the helpful tip about the Q-tip. I have specialized CA applicator tools I use but I've got to say I'm intrigued by the Q-tip. I'll give it a go as soon a receive the Dr. Mike's CA.

Rob

The only thing I ever really use CA for anymore is attaching PE to surfaces - bigger jobs I usually use epoxy for strength.

I like to use Mercury Adhesives M5T - it's water thin aka great capillary action - I place a PE part down where it needs to go and using an applicator (I use a cut piece of styrene rod), I just touch the glue to the edge of the part and it runs around...

Any cleanup can be done with Great Planes Debonder (will not craze plastic)

http://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Adhesives-M5T-1oz-thin/dp/B000XIIZAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455054087&sr=8-1&keywords=mercury+adhesives+m5t

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EZ5CN4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Good luck!

Thanks very much, guys. That M5T glue and debonder were the ones I've heard about. Thanks for the link, Anthony.

That Krazy glue sounds very interesting. Will try to find it and see how it works.

The gorilla glue worked okay for me but it got really thick in a shorter period of time than other CAs I've used.

Rob

There is no one "best" CA glue for all purposes but if you need something thin and fast setting, there is none better I've found than Kiss Maximum Speed Nail Glue available in the cosmetic departments of most pharmacies and the likes of Target or Wal Mart.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/kiss-maximum-speed-nail-glue/ID=prod10487-product

The stuff is perfect for complex photo-etch projects. I've built a couple Jasmine Model metal models and am currently working on their 1/48 F6F Hellcat. I tried several other CA glues but none worked as quickly or effectively as the Kiss glue.

P1010010_zpsfs7jrbrq.jpg

Cheers,

Eric

Edited by Eric Larson

Yessir, If I need CA gel, I use the Locktite brand. If I have a use for thinner CA, I use the cheaper stuff that comes in the 2, 3, or 4 tube packages that come in the tiny 2 and/or 3 gram containers. I like to use CA on long narrow seams like fuselage seams, the seam on the front of the wing, fuel tank seams, etc. Most of these seams need to have some scribing done on them. I don't like scribing putty because of the problem of cracking. I don't use any accelerator on any part of the model that is going to be painted or visible. I don't like the look of CA that has been "dried" with accelerator. If I feel the need to give larger parts extra strength, I'll run some CA on the inside of the wings, fuselage, etc. and then spray some accelerator if the accelerator won't get on an area to be painted. As far as PE, I use 2 part epoxy so I will have some working time if needed. I only use CA on PE if it is a flat part the is going on a flat surface.

• 1 month later...

I've tried 'em all, from soup to nuts, and I agree with the above - get the very cheapest stuff you can find. They all work the same way. And if you get the little Dollar Store tubes, it won't go bad on you before you use it.

Thanks again, guys. I did test out the Dr. Mike' CA but it's so thin it runs everywhere. I just purchased some Bob Industries pocket CA glues so I'm hoping these won't go bad right away before I get to use them.

Rob