Where oh where is our Hornet replacement?

1 hour ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Ding ding!

The hysterics over the Arrow in some circles is really impressive. Like..it makes Tomcat fanboys look tame. 

The nice thing about canceled projects if you are a yank is we have far fewer of them, and can't point to one as the "before and after" 

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2017-01-04/canada-ponders-cf-18-fighter-replacement

Opting for some other aircraft has its drawbacks for Canada, F-35  proponents believe. The F-35 “is the only stealthy option available for the RCAF. Its [radar cross-section] signature-reduction technology and other advanced features make it the ideal ‘first day of the war silver bullet,’” they say.

But representatives from Boeing, Raytheon and other key members of the Super Hornet group of major contractors call this a specious argument at best. “Just who—besides the U.S.— actually does any first day of the war type of operations?” asked one senior business development executive who has marketed the Super Hornet in several countries

Whoopsie daisy. Admits Super Hornet can't do first day ops.

Pretty sure its never been just the US on day 1 either. 

Just LOL if you don't leave day 1 to the yanks, just LOL. Want to do day 1? What are you American?

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
23 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

The F/A-18E/F models flown by the U.S. Navy are modified with some of the most extensive radar cross-section reduction techniques ever applied to any conventionally shaped U.S. aircraft. Whether or not that same level of radar cross-section reduction technology would be sold to Canada is still not clear.

This section has me confused. An F/A-18E/F is an F/A-18E/F is an F/A-18E/F isn't it?  Just how do you remove the radar cross-section reduction techniques for an export model?   As an Aussie living not far from Amberley, I can't see a difference, but if I COULD I'd be right cheesed off at the perfidious Yankees  ;-)

Shane

30 minutes ago, sweier said:

The F/A-18E/F models flown by the U.S. Navy are modified with some of the most extensive radar cross-section reduction techniques ever applied to any conventionally shaped U.S. aircraft. Whether or not that same level of radar cross-section reduction technology would be sold to Canada is still not clear.

This section has me confused. An F/A-18E/F is an F/A-18E/F is an F/A-18E/F isn't it?  Just how do you remove the radar cross-section reduction techniques for an export model?   As an Aussie living not far from Amberley, I can't see a difference, but if I COULD I'd be right cheesed off at the perfidious Yankees  ;-)

Shane

I can't explain that. It's an odd bit. F-35 is more stealthy and that was obviously cleared for Canada...

From a boeing speech I heard the big shower stopper for Australia wasn't RCS measures but the ALQ pods on the Growlers. First time those had ever been exported. 

YMMV

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
3 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

I can't explain that. It's an odd bit. F-35 is more stealthy and that was obviously cleared for Canada...

From a boeing speech I heard the big shower stopper for Australia wasn't RCS measures but the ALQ pods on the Growlers. First time those had ever been exported. 

YMMV

Well, my mileage does vary. I  think that the original source article displays a normal press lack of understanding and the last para is typical. Again.

By the way, I agree with you entirely about the false "first day" dichotomy presented as a reason why F-35 isn't needed AND the clumsy quote which can be made to infer the inferiority of the Rhino.

Shane

Shane

On 2016-12-28 at 6:32 PM, phantom said:

Yep, I know the last guy to fly the CF-100 Canuck. He got a ride in a two seater 105. Loved it. Apparently the shear POWER was amazing. Of course I would have rather seen the CF-110 (CF-4)

I thought I saw the last CF-100 fly, I was at the official closing ceremony in Edmonton. I thought I saw the last CF-100 shut-down.

A year later someone did a ferry trip and there was one more flight that wiped out this history.

I was at CFB North Bay when the Black Knights flew away with the last EW Clunk in 1981. A few years later in 87 (also in North Bay) I was there at the last official Voodoo formation fly past (oh those Voodoo's sounded awesome!). Ironically I won the model contest we held in the hangar with my 1/72 CF100 Mk.V  EW sled done up in the last markings for 414 Squadron. My 1/72 Matchbox 101067 done up with the Microscale sheet oddly didn't fair too well... must have been the Matchbox kits fault (LOL!).

Cheers!

On 2016-12-29 at 8:17 AM, Alvis 3.1 said:

Canadair was approached by the USMC in the early 60s to manufacture the Phantom, but with Spey engines. This was before the British did exactly that. My only guess as to why the USMC wanted Speyed Phantoms was the better low altitude and acceleration performance the Spey allowed over the J-79s, was that they were wanting to operate the Phantom from the smaller USN carriers.
The Phantom was the #1 choice of the RCAF in the late 60s, with some of their evaluation pilots favouring the A-7. Instead, the F-5 was picked as it was the least expensive and we could get more of them for the same amount of money.
We then proceeded to build them at Canadair, at a cost near what a stock F-4 would have been to buy, and then park them in storage as we didn't actually have a role for them, then upgraded them in the early 90s to near-Hornet systems, only to put them into storage as we didn't have the budget to operate them.
Sometimes the best buy doesn't work out that way.

Alvis 3.1

They weren't always in storage, there were a few reserve pilots that flew them occasionally. Occasionally they would pass through Cold Lake. I was stunned the first time I saw them, Canadian markings, Canadian military pilots.

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

I thought I saw the last CF-100 fly, I was at the official closing ceremony in Edmonton. I thought I saw the last CF-100 shut-down.

A year later someone did a ferry trip and there was one more flight that wiped out this history.

Yeah, it was prob the same guy, flying the black jet to Ottawa, which is now in Hamilton.

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Yeah, it was prob the same guy, flying the black jet to Ottawa, which is now in Hamilton.

I just read read through my CF-100 notes, the CF-100 in Edmonton (476, flown to Edmonton 22 Jan, 1982) was at one time the last CF-100 to fly. Then the black jet you mentioned took over that distinction, 785 was delivered to Rockcliffe, 10 Feb, 1982.

Then 760 was flown to St. Hubert on 28 June, 1982, which made it the last CF-100 to fly.

29 minutes ago, Don said:

I was at CFB North Bay when the Black Knights flew away with the last EW Clunk in 1981. A few years later in 87 (also in North Bay) I was there at the last official Voodoo formation fly past (oh those Voodoo's sounded awesome!). Ironically I won the model contest we held in the hangar with my 1/72 CF100 Mk.V  EW sled done up in the last markings for 414 Squadron. My 1/72 Matchbox 101067 done up with the Microscale sheet oddly didn't fair too well... must have been the Matchbox kits fault (LOL!).

Cheers!

I was in Edmonton when two of those Voodoo's arrived in 1987. I was newly transferred to 435 Squadron and my first task was to help demilitarize those two jets for museum storage.

Edited by Scooby

Yeah, 760 was not being used by the CAF, but was testing a engine for something else. Well, when a Major tells me he was the last pilot and shows me his log books I am going to say "Yes sir!" anyway.

2 minutes ago, Scooby said:

I was in Edmonton when two of those Voodoo's arrived in 1987. I was newly transferred to 435 Squadron and my first task was to help demilitarize those two jets for museum storage.

There were two ex-416 Voodoo's neatly parked across the far side of the runway at North Bay right along the fence and bush and they stayed there for a good year-and-a-half to two years after the close out. I mean they looked like they were on alert status (spooky). They had everything in them (sans fuel obviously) before they were cut up with torches. One day "someone" came,  pulled the engines, canned them and hauled them away. Seats were crated as was a few other bits and bobs and the rest was simply butchered and loaded into dump trucks. Such a sad thing to witness and it almost brought tears to the eyes... it actually may have once or twice. But, time moves on. Still one of my favorite aircraft.

Cheers!

Those two got mileage as museum birds. 101067 is now in the states , back painted in Minnesota ANG markings, 101006 got sent to CFB Cornwallis, then recently was trucked to London to the jet museum there.

006 in happier times in North Bay.

101006_CF-101B_North_Bay_1280.jpg

And looking the worse for wear many years later (sad to see her looking so weathered):

275-eFLYER-FA01-01.jpg

I wasn't aware she was moved. I hope she's in better condition now.

Cheers!

EDIT: spelling.

Edited by Don
16 minutes ago, MacStingy said:

He even says how the news should be tweeted!! Ground breaking analysis here! 

You would think the F-35s harshest critics would be the most cynical about the government's ability to produce something better, on time, and on budget. But let's cancel it, add some magic beans and see what we can do

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

We haven't had a LockMart PR Rep on this board in a while.   How are they treating you?   

:rofl: No, not a Lockmart Rep, but just a concerned Canuck who fears out of silly politics that my current PM may not do due diligence in our next combat jet pick. I mean really FIVE years of competition to pick our  CF-18 replacement??? F-35 is not only filling in  all three US services to varying extents but is filling  the roll of  combat jet to our other NATO allies. Why do we need FIVE more years?

The evidence grows with each day as to why F-35 is not just another combat jet choice but is THE ONLY  CHOICE for  notably our small air force in the RCAF. If people cut through the chaff and B.S. they will see that F-35 is a future proof (well for what 25-35+ years at least) combat jet. No other choice will give  our small air force said luxury.

F-18E/F is a great combat jet but it's near the end of its production run, it's maybe the best Gen4+ combat jet out there today, but if the RCAF wishes to be viable in the combat jet area of operation for the longest time frame, F-35 is our only true choice.:cheers:

Edited by Gordon Shumway
3 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

He even says how the news should be tweeted!! Ground breaking analysis here! 

You would think the F-35s harshest critics would be the most cynical about the government's ability to produce something better, on time, and on budget. But let's cancel it, add some magic beans and see what we can do

D.J.T. will not cancel F-35. He is pro making the US Military the biggest KICK A$$  Military on Earth as he wants to make sure nobody will mess with it.   He knows  F-35 is a part of it all. But he is pragmatic and will as a savvy business  man   try to  get LM to  get the costs down lower. He knows how to play competitors against each other to get more value for the tax payer.