On 2/2/2024 at 4:36 PM, The Arrowhead said:

Microscale already has that FBW YF-4E livery on AC48-0021 .....

Well this is potentially confusing. I don't know what the AC prefix represents but I own Microscale sheet 48-021 covering a couple of B-17Gs.... ☹️

It's the "new" Microscale that comes out with "new" sheets. They are mostly railroad decals, but still bring out "military" aircraft, too. Check it out. You'll see some redos of subjects we first saw from them back in the '70s and '80s, rearranged a bit, but can't vouch for the accuracy:

https://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=MILITARY

16 hours ago, habu2 said:

Well this is potentially confusing. I don't know what the AC prefix represents but I own Microscale sheet 48-021 covering a couple of B-17Gs.... ☹️

May haps Aircraft?

If you go to dvidshub.net and search Sgt. Matthew Romonoyske-Bean / U.S. Marine Corps you can the high rez photos from the article. Now, do I have a radar nose Harrier.

7972377.jpg

Edited by jbryan911
1 hour ago, Paul Boyer said:

One of the pictures shows a Harrier carrying an AIM-120 AMRAAM. It reads that the Harriers were modified for air defense, so yeah!

That's right Paul. AIM-120 on stbd rail, AIM-9M on port rail, two gas bags for loiter and the full complement of 30mm.

USMC AV-8B II+s were first modded to carry AIM-120 in late 2000s

Two things of note on this:

1. Reports are coming out from the personnel on the USS Bataan that this story of the drone shootdowns by the AV-8B is actually fake (according to those Marines, there have been no drone shootdowns by AV-8Bs anywhere), so watch this space.

2. For the actual config, this IS new. You will note that the Harrier is missing the outboard underwing pylons and that the AIM-9 on the LAU-7 is using the same ADU adaptor on the mid-wing pylon as the AIM-120 LAU on the other wing. This is non-standard as AIM-9s are traditionally carried on the outboard underwing pylons, wiht the LAU parent mounted to the pylon (i.e. no adaptor needed).

Pretty hard to hit something that size with a Gatling gun although I doubt there would be a USMC pilot alive that would not want the opportunity to try. Given most AIM-9Ls are going life-ex and being phased out for AIM-9X et al, would be easy way to dispose of inventory, if this did indeed actually happen - which is sounding more and more like a deepfake exercise than a real-world event.

Edited by CraigSargent
1 hour ago, Paul Boyer said:

The thing I question is wouldn't the gun be a better solution? A lot less expensive than a million (?) dollar missile against an non-maneuvering, simple flying bomb. I dunno. 

No, AIM-9 is the best. Drones have a low RCS, but a good IR signature so the AIM-9 is best.

Gun kills are not easy, and you detonate. being  too close to the drone when it detonates.

Difference between Harrier and CWIS is ability to quickly acquire and track. Phalanx is highly manoeuvrable for aim and fully radar guided. It’s designed to be able to target missiles, shells and pretty much anything in flight. GAU in the jet depends on pilot’s manual aiming and the jet’s rate of response to pilot’s reactions. It was designed for CAS which is generally soft, slower moving targets.

Edited by CraigSargent
On 2/13/2024 at 1:51 PM, Dutch said:

That's right Paul. AIM-120 on stbd rail, AIM-9M on port rail, two gas bags for loiter and the full complement of 30mm.

Sniper pod under the belly.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:44 PM, Paul Boyer said:

The thing I question is wouldn't the gun be a better solution? A lot less expensive than a million (?) dollar missile against an non-maneuvering, simple flying bomb. I dunno. 

This is possibly a fake news item.

On 2/13/2024 at 10:42 AM, Dutch said:

Well belay my last.  Apparently, the AviationGeekClub was posting supposition using photos from the US Govt DVIDS website.  Not sure why, maybe to boost viewership. Though the USMC has not made any comments yet, I doubt they will as they do not have the bandwidth to go after every false USMC claim.  Besides, it may have some detrimental effect on Houti morale in Yemen.

Edited by Dutch
45 minutes ago, Niels said:

Kursad, 

When you get around to the next Dark Vipers, you have to include this one please; 

428378334_2404462996420840_1251733413653138384_n.jpg (2048×1365) (fbcdn.net)

My favourite unit, and the mix of Have Glass, blue tailband and black markings is just stunning! 

Thanks

Second this. Have glass with all black markings looks great.