Flexible Masking Tape. Recommendations..

So what should i buy? Never tried it before, hoping some of you have. 

I see that white Tamiya tape gets mixed reviews due to the poor adhesion. 3M have any superior products?

"Kabuki" a thing?

Thanks for any info on this..

Kabuki is the yellow tape and not flexible. 

The white tamiya tape can suffer from low adhesion if you overstretch it. Plus positioning a curve several times means you will lose more tack. 

But practice and adjust your techniques ie don’t flood or spray against the edge and you’ll be fine. Should always try and spray inwards over any tape rather than up to tape to avoid bleed. 

Nexcare

I use this.  You can cut it into thin strips.  Lessen the tackiness and the amount of residue on the model by placing sticky side down on your pants once or twice.  It'll give you a hard demarcation line but with practice I'm sure you could probably make the lines a little softer.  It's great for going around compound curves such as the transition between wing and fuselage and over the tail area on this Sabre I built.  Hope this helps.

Decals RR

Edited by AX 365
6 hours ago, habu2 said:

That i already have so not really what i was looking for. It`s nice for masking canopies but isn`t really in the category flexible masking tapes as there is no adhesion.

Blenderm (3M) is another similar product, perhaps better than Parafilm. The downside is of course that these are clear and harder to see the edges you are masking.

7 hours ago, AX 365 said:

Nexcare

I use this.  You can cut it into thin strips.  Lessen the tackiness and the amount of residue on the model by placing sticky side down on your pants once or twice.  It'll give you a hard demarcation line but with practice I'm sure you could probably make the lines a little softer.  It's great for going around compound curves such as the transition between wing and fuselage and over the tail area on this Sabre I built.  Hope this helps.

Decals RR

Thanks for the tip. I`ll be looking around for that one. Apparently not a staple in the shelves here in Norway i will have to inquire at the local pharmacies.

I just ordered two 3M vinyl tapes, the 3,17mm & 6,35mm ones. Guess i`ll just have to place my bets and see how things work out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353615098839

Tempting to try the white Tamiya tapes...

First, my usual disclaimer: I'm not very good at this. 🙂

I have worked a little bit with the white Tamiya tapes, and they do work well when putting them on, being flexible and adjusting to curves, but I find that they can lose adhesiveness after a while, and start peeling up.  I found that to be an issue if I am doing something that can take a while, and the masking starts coming loose at the edges partway through (like masking  a canopy and then painting different layers that require the canopy to be masked the entire time).

I am now testing out some liquid mask, so I am using the Tamiya tape to mask off what *will* be painted then covering the non-painted parts with liquid mask then peeling the tape off to have a sharp edge.    What are the thoughts on liquid masking for different purposes?

I have used a variety of  different widths of the white Tamiya flexible tape, and I have left the tape on models for extended periods of time (months) and not experienced any loss of adhesion.  Perhaps the adhesive properties are affected by the environment they are used in.  I live in Las Vegas where there is little to no humidity.  

Found that 3M Nexcare tape at a local pharmacy today. It was like $12 or so. Came in a thin cardboard box not in a blister like in your picture. It looks really good and very soft and flexible, can`t wait to try it out. That blue artist tape from amazon says nothing about having any flex. Care to enlighten us CFster?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, CBREEZE said:

Ive tried blue tac but think IMO silly putty works much better.  Besides, working with it again brings back all those great childhood memories.  

I would agree, Silly Putty works great. But any low tack tape should work by just cutting thin strips of tape and slowly doing your curves. 

Here is a Youtube tutorial for masking, there are other for masking canopies and so forth. Hope this helps: