CD72159 will be a 1/72 (and 1/144) combo set for the XB-70 Valkyrie. It will be designed for the ERTL & Armory kits. 

I will add 1/144 markings for the NASA F-104 chase plane, and some what-if operational markings in both scales.

You can not make me build another 1/72 AMT XB-70. Nope. CA and filler are expensive on that build. 

Now just because I have another one and all the currently available aftermarket that can be found for it, means nothing. Don’t poke that bear. 

Not happening. 

Stop. 

And when I buy one of the decal sheets, ignore it. You shouldn’t assume things. 

Glad we had this talk. 

Rick L. 

I’m not ordering paint. I’m.. checking on.. stuff. 

Posted (edited)

Would the USAF have accepted “Le May’s Legacy” as an individual aircraft name/nose art on an operational B-70?

Edited by KursadA

Hard to say for sure. In the one hand, if the B-70A had made it to service it probably would have owed its existance

to LeMay’s staunch support. It would have certainly been an appropriate moniker. On the other hand, the B-70 would have fought the Soviet air defense missiles and McNamara at home. The service life of the Valkyrie would have been short at best. Not much of a legacy in all. Then there’s the overall SAC policy of the time which seemed to limit named aircraft, continuing from LeMay to Power over the course of the aircraft’s potential career. 

Whatever. I like the idea. Would have been a cool look on an Uber cool aircraft. 

Rick L. 

Many years ago on one of my visits to the USAF Museum at WPAFB I encountered the XB-70 fresh out of the paint shop.  It was parked outside, past the row of static aircraft and just inside the fence separating the museum from the base.  This was "pre-digital" so these are scans of 4x6 prints.

2.30.jpg

2.06.jpg

2.17.jpg

2.19.jpg

2.20.jpg

Edited by habu2

One of the Brit model magazines published a ‘72nd B-70 wiff in aluminum/titanium and anti-flash white, SAC markings. Incredible. Bought some Caracal 1/144 B-58 and B-36 sheets for the Armory 1/144 XB.

Be nice to get dedicated sheets with proper stencils.

On 1/6/2024 at 5:33 PM, KursadA said:

Would the USAF have accepted “Le May’s Legacy” as an individual aircraft name/nose art on an operational B-70?

Yes.

SAC renamed an Instrument Approach into Offutt (?)  LeMay. 1987ish.

I respectfully ask for windows, passenger doors and MATS/MAC markings for the 1/144 kit so I can make a C-70.  Please.  

"I respectfully ask for windows, passenger doors and MATS/MAC markings for the 1/144 kit so I can make a C-70.  Please."

Excellent idea. That goes along with my suggestion: Caracal Models Basics USAF MATS/MAC/AMC Command Badges.

Edited by Curt

Kursad,

I have to call out the elephant in the room here. Habu has posted images that make my coming point abundantly clear. Despite all the decals and mask sets for the Ertl kit, you need to make more than a token effort to repeat what has already been done. What am I getting at you ask? STENCILLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make your effort the definitive decal sheet on the subject instead of another "also ran" sheet.

On another note, how much longer for the 1/72 C-119 sheet with the deicer boots. You mentioned that sheet being inbound over a year ago and I've been waiting to use those on my AC-119K. Please confirm that it IS still coming soon.

Regards,

Chris the cabbie

Yes, most likely added when it was displayed outside for years to counter wind gusts.  The video does have some nice closeups of stenciling etc.

• 2 weeks later...