This is the original tooling of the 1/72 Airfix C-130 kit. I have built it as a USAF HC-130N CSAR aircraft or as the USAF puts it "the only dedicated fixed-wing Personnel Recovery platform in the Air Force inventory".

To build the HC-130N I added a added consoles and cabinets to the cockpit Tasman Models AN/ARD-17 Aerial Tracker Radome, inflight refuelling Hose Reel units from Flightpath and propellors from an Italeri C-130 kit. I also added the observer windows in the main cabin, the recover system rails and flare chutes on the upper ramp door and various antennas as seen on the aircraft. The HF antenna wires are Eziline. The decals are from the C-130 Herc sheet by Caracal Models and walkway outline decals from an Italeri AC-130 kit.

72_HC-130N_USAF_74 72_HC-130N_USAF_75 72_HC-130N_USAF_78 72_HC-130N_USAF_85 72_HC-130N_USAF_80

That's a great looking N model! I liked that paint scheme on the Herk.

I flew the MC-130P special operations version of the old rescue Herk.

Brings back memories...no air conditioning...inside smelled like puke and 

hydraulic fluid/JP-4. A lot of people forget to add  the ODS rails on the door.

That and the flare launcher were exclusive rescue. The MC had the rails removed

and the tracker dome removed and they added the air refueling door and defensive

system flare cans. Great job on the old handsome, sleek, high performance C-130! 

Cheers...Ron

I knew Ron, wouldn't take long to chime in. 
That's a great looking Rescue Herk. The grey scheme just isnt modelled much. I think this is the second time ever seeing one. 
Well done!

• 4 weeks later...

Great job Ray on a really rough old kit.   Having built the old Airfix kit straight out of the box, I know what you went through.   And I love this version of the Herk.   Anything dealing with SAR is awesome.

Saw lots of camou'd Hercs during my time in SEA. But I really like the gloss grey variants with full color markings. Nice job with a very difficult kit.

I'm in a SLOW process of converting a Zvezda C-130H into an MC-130E.

Awesome job!

DET1460

Hey @DET1460, would you share your experiences so far with that conversion? (Maybe in a different thread).

I plan to do exactly the same sometime soon.

HAJO

• 3 weeks later...

Hajo L

On 3/8/2024 at 4:11 AM, Hajo L. said:

Hey @DET1460, would you share your experiences so far with that conversion? (Maybe in a different thread).

I plan to do exactly the same sometime soon.

HAJO

Still trying to get the DB nose on the Zvesda Herc. That's going to be the hardest part of the conversion.. I'm finishing a Mach @ RB-57F right now and I have other projects in line, but I like the Zvesda kit very much. I wasn't a Herc mechanic overseas... I crewed the Patricia Lynn RB-57E's at Tan Son Nhut but we had lots of Hercs there. Saw one MC-130E CT Blackbird. The camou alone made a very impressive sight! Took a while to find someone who knew what it was!  

I'm sorry I took so long getting back to you! Been away from the PC for a while!

Best regards,

DET1460

DET, what is the trouble with the nose? Bad fit? I plan to use the Italeri nose on my Zvesda, but will have as a sort of "practice project" the AC-130J on my list as next project.

HAJO

I had a complete conversion with the Italeri kit. The DB nose fit perfectly. After acquiring the Zvesda kit I decided I would strip the original and use the parts on it, It will take some surgery and a little putty to get it to fit but I think the Zves will produce a much better outcome.

Dave Buttress created it for the Italeri kit, so you'll have few problems fitting it Da SWO!

Hope this helps, guys!

DET1460