1/48 decals for Topgun F-14?

I know Testor's came out with the 1/72 scale kit with the decals, as I have those. Did they ever come out with 1/48 scale though? I'm starting a future FSM article and getting everything ready. If not, I'll simply use the Superscale VFA-25 sheet with the Fist of the Fleet markings, unless Mike P. (or anyone else, for that matter) wants to come to my rescue and do some quick artwork using the 1/72 decals to make the 1/48 ones. BTW, after looking closely at the movie pictures, those Tomcats are just plain NASTY looking. One of the a/c used for filming even has a replacement Gull Gray panel on a TPS scheme.

Hey Darren-

testors did release the Top Gun F-14 in 1/48. The kit number is 293. I see them on ebay from time to time going for about $10.

Brian Marbrey

anyone know what the decals are like?...ie can they actually be used!!

Also do you just get the Maverick/Goose Tomcat or the Iceman/Slider jet too??

Can't speak for the 48th, but I do know the 72nd version, which I would hope would be the same in subject and quality. Decals are very usable and well-printed, and not only do you get the options (tail badge, modex, etc) for BOTH Mav/Goose's and Ice/Slider's planes, but you even get the option for Merlin's name on the canopy replacing Goose from at the very end.

Cool....now to find one..LOL

thanks for the info

cheers,

Gary

who was thinking about doing a Topgun Movie Cat for the GB

Darren if you happen to find/get offered more than one set of the Testors decals,who you consider passing aset on to me?...i'd gladly pay for them

Edited by mungo1974

What kit did Testors put in their box for the 1/48 scale kit? Fujimi or Italeri?

BTW, on the subject of Top Gun aircraft, I just got done watching the documentaries on the special edition DVD (good docs BTW, they add a nice value to the DVD package for those that don't want just the movie). They mentioned a Tomcat specially modified by Grumman to carry the 35MM film camera equipment externally. Are there any pictures showing this specific aircraft? I've toyed with the idea of doing a Top Gun bird myself. But if I am going to do it then it should have the camera mounts to make it more then just a paint job redo. Aircraft in question was referred to as "105C" so presumeably it was aircraft 105 at Miramar with the C designator for camera ship. Since Wolfpack aircraft were in abundance at Miramar at the time, I suppose it might be aircraft 105 from VF-1.

And Darren, if you can't find the 1/48 scale sheet and time gets short, I would be willing to scale up and ALPS print a set for you in 1/48. Just PM me for the details.

• 1 year later...

So, i know this is a really old post, but i thought it would save space posting in here instaed of a new thread. So, does anyone know a store where i can buy these decals in ANY SCALE with or without the set itself? Anyone got one spare i could buy from them (kit & Decals preferably)

Edited by Ollie T-Y

Jay, I think the only real modification was the addition of the camera on one of the Phoenix stations. There are/were several tomcats belonging to the VX squadrons that had miniature cameras mounted on the wingtips and other places (mostly to monitor weapons separations), it wouldn't have been hard to do that to a service tomcat for air-to-air shots I'll wager.

And Darren, if you can't find the 1/48 scale sheet and time gets short, I would be willing to scale up and ALPS print a set for you in 1/48. Just PM me for the details.

WHOAH, WHOAH, WHOAH! HOLD ON THERE!

You do understand you will need to do a sheet for ALL of us know you opened Pandora's Box? :crying: I definetly want one!

Seriously, someone needs to issue this sheet. To be technical, there are legal issues as this is a movie liscened product, but there may be creative ways around it :cheers:

Whoa, this thread came up from the past! Actually, I'm glad it did. I'm curious about the legal issues if a decal company was going to do a sheet with these markings on them. There is nothing copyrighted about the markings. They were all active Navy squadron emblems that were used, so that's not an issue. Can you really copyright someone's name? I would think as long as you didn't use the Topgun logo, there would be nothing on the sheet that would be an issue. I think a sheet with these markings and maybe some other "Hollywood Heroes" markings (Executive Decision....VF-84) would make a great sheet.

The VF-1 squadron emblem from the movie is inaccurate - not sure why, because the Wolfpack livery is so cool, but for the movie they had some stylized swooping-hawk-in-a-circle-with-speed-lines logo instead. Probably copyrighted by Paramount. Not sure if Iceman's squadron was accurate. Other issues on the sheet would be character names and callsigns. If you have "Lt Pete Mitchell / MAVERICK" or "Lt Tom Kazansky / ICEMAN" on your F-14 decal sheet that you're producing for retail sale and it's not licensed, you're probably going to get sued by Paramount.

The VF-1 squadron emblem from the movie is inaccurate - not sure why, because the Wolfpack livery is so cool, but for the movie they had some stylized swooping-hawk-in-a-circle-with-speed-lines logo instead. Probably copyrighted by Paramount. Not sure if Iceman's squadron was accurate. Other issues on the sheet would be character names and callsigns. If you have "Lt Pete Mitchell / MAVERICK" or "Lt Tom Kazansky / ICEMAN" on your F-14 decal sheet that you're producing for retail sale and it's not licensed, you're probably going to get sued by Paramount.

Icemans squadron was VA-/VFA-25 'Fist of the Fleet', a Corsair/Hornet squadron. I think Mavericks squadron was one of the Corsair/Hornet squadrons too, not sure which tho'.

:crying:

It's inaccurate for VF-1 wolfpack, yes, but that emblem is used by a navy unit (an E-2 Hawkeye squadron if I remember correctly.)

So one could produce a sheet without the names and Paramount couldn't touch them because everything belongs to the Navy and is public domain. I wonder if that's why Testor's 1/48 scale sheet doesn't include the names (not licensed, maybe?), but their 1/72 scale sheet DOES have the names (at the time, licensed by Paramount).

I know they had a long. white cylinder camera pod attached to the TOP of the right wing glove on a VF-111 Tomcat back in 1985 during the Miramar airshow, it was in the hanger being worked on ... It also had "Iceman's" squadron marking on the tail ... I wish I had taken pics but back then I wasn't all that camera intensive ...

Gregg

So one could produce a sheet without the names and Paramount couldn't touch them because everything belongs to the Navy and is public domain. I wonder if that's why Testor's 1/48 scale sheet doesn't include the names (not licensed, maybe?), but their 1/72 scale sheet DOES have the names (at the time, licensed by Paramount).

I think that is a safe bet (if you stick to material in the public domain) and don't include the Top Gun logo. Of course, "Top Gun" is also in the public domain but if it was used on the same sheet, the relationship is obvious.

I think we just need to figure out a creative title for the decal! Like "Macho Homo-esque Flying Jet Studs" or somthing lame like that. :lol:

Leaving out the call signs and names is no big deal as most of us can print those on our own.

Maverick's/Goose's "VF-1" used the emblem from VAW-110, the West Coast Hawkeye RAG. And I'm pretty sure that under Iceman's/Slider's VFA-25 tail emblems, it read "VFA-213". Maybe someone else can verify that.

And why stop at Executive Decision? Let's have someone create VF-104 Arrowslingers markings (Ward Carroll fans, anyone?). I'd love to have a Tomcat with "Punk" and "Spud" on the canopy rail. Or better yet, "Soup" and "Einstein"... :lol:

Boy, did somebody manage to pull this thread up from the depths! :lol:

I don't think there would be any problems doing the Top Gun markings for these jets, since by all rights it was a NAVY paint crew that probably painted the jets and Navy pilots that flew them and the canopy rail names would be included in my opinion. As somebody said, just don't market it as something called a "Top Gun Movie" sheet and you probably won't get burned. "Macho Homo-esque Flying Jet Studs" works for me, although it is a bit much to say. Howabout "Photogenic Cats" or "Movie Cats"? Words like "Movie" and "Cats" would surely overload any lawyer's search engine with thousands of possible hits, the majority of them being furry feline related. :banana:

Boy, did somebody manage to pull this thread up from the depths! :blink:

"Macho Homo-esque Flying Jet Studs" works for me, although it is a bit much to say. Howabout "Photogenic Cats" or "Movie Cats"? Words like "Movie" and "Cats" would surely overload any lawyer's search engine with thousands of possible hits, the majority of them being furry feline related. ;)

Great idea! If you can't eliminate the laywers, overload them with utter crap! :banana:

My vote is still for "Mach Homo-esque Flying Jet Studs" Or maybe it's acronym MHEFJS :lol:

They should be named what they really are ... Imaginary Movie Cats. You could include Brubaker's F9F as well as any of the F-14A's from Top Gun. BTW, Top Gun is a Navy thing ... not a trademarked Hollywood name.

If you print them "not for profit," can they come after you??

Edited by Phantom Phreak
They should be named what they really are ... Imaginary Movie Cats. You could include Brubaker's F9F as well as any of the F-14A's from Top Gun. BTW, Top Gun is a Navy thing ... not a trademarked Hollywood name.

If you print them "not for profit," can they come after you??

Top Gun, the Navy Fighter Weapons School, is a Navy thing. Top Gun, the hit movie from the '80s and all related character names and images, are property of Paramount Pictures which makes that a trademarked Hollywood name. There's a difference. Anything meant to represent a character's aircraft from the movie would be fodder for Paramount's overzealous lawyers the second one penny of profit is made. You can print them up on your own, sure, but if you distribute them you're painting a target on your wallet.

Edited by BAM'n'IVM