Why you guys attaching the landing gear legs

Hi there :stupid:

I've seen on many photos that some of the modelers are glueing the landing gears into place before the paint job. Why is it? I never did it, as I'm afraid it can broke easily while handling for airbrushing and weathering. Also cannot easily reach it to paint the details. So what's the secret?

Greetings, neu :thumbsup:

Ditto, always do the main paint job, then paint main sections of landing gear and other details, glue together, then finally touch up afterwards.

Only time I can remember doing it the other way round is where the landing gear is faired into the fuselage (i.e. westland lysander)

I am a brush painter and have always attached the undercarriage legs (not the wheels) prior to painting. It makes it easier to align things - no finger marks in the paint. And the legs provide a handle while I am working. LAstly, it's also easier to set the model on its legs while the paint dries.

Edited by Bob Perry

I will sometimes do this, but not actually glue them in place. If the fit is a little on the loose side, a drop of white glue will hold them.

Just for convenience really, especially during decal process. Keeps the plane from resting on its belly or having the wings resting on paint tins.

I wonder why the "large" arrestor hook(s) are sticking out it's @$$? :cheers: :lol: :unsure:

But seriously, Black Cat, Great LOOKING Phantom. Almost makes me forget it's a Jolly Rogers 'Phantom... :thumbsup: ::sniff:: just B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L.

In answer to the thread question which we seem to have wandered off. My NEW policy as a more "advanced" modeller than I was when I was but a snotty nosed teen-ager, is to paint the landing gear first, then attach it to the PAINTED aircraft, but before weathering the landing gear and the rest of the aircraft.

Okay guys....I'm with the "landing gear after flat coat" team too....just asked, as I sew several times the other way, and cannot imagine the advantages of that method.

BTW Really nice Phantom indeed!

Greetings, neu

Well it seems we all pretty much stick to the norm. Attaching the gear after most of the painting and decaling is completed. I think most of the F-15 kits are the same on the nose gear. I seem to remember I had the same problem with an Academy F-15C kit. I will at times pressure fit the gear at a certain point of the build as a stand. But not to often, you may break one off if it doesn't want to come off. Try to avoid those little mishaps.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Rule = gear after paint job.

But sometimes, the kit design requires the struts' attachement pins being inserted into the landing gear wells, the later glued to the wings (or body). I modify these parts, to be able to close the wells first, and slip the LG into place after the paint job. Look at my A380.

HTH,

Pierre

Both struts, pre-assembled. To the left, the original Revell design, where the strut is attached to the well via tiny pins.

mlg_20040226a.jpeg

The arrows point to where the strut is inserted into the well'.

mlg_20040226b.jpeg

The modified parts, so I can slip in the LG at a later stage.

mlg_20040227a.jpeg

I reduce the length of the attachment pins on the LG

mlg_20040227b.jpeg

Exterior items like landing gear are best left off till after painting. If you have a kit that demands installation before painting, try this:

Install your gear and then you can mask it using aluminum/aluminium foil. No adhesive neccessary, just wrap and crimp. This also comes in handy if you leave a little sticking out as you'll have a "crush zone" before you break it off during handling.

hth