Hi guy's,

This is my Italeri 1/48 F/A-18E.

I have added the Black Box cockpit and Two Bob's VFA-115 OIF decals. The build required a lot of dry fitting, filling and sanding than normall. The intakes were a nightmare to say the least :wacko: . I also cut and dropped the flaps, (sorry for swearing :nanner: ) reshaped the exaust ports, added the IFF box on the nose and added some extra minor details. Also toe out the wing pylons.

Belive it or not I really enjoyed this build despite the known problems. I have also tried new weathering techniques with my AZTEK airbrush :lol: and tried doing my wash with oils, which came out pretty good.

Anyways here's the pics and as always all comments welcome

Regards

Craig

mc1.jpg

mc3.jpg

mc2.jpg

Edited by Little Mac

Craig,

very nice work! You did a nice job painting and weathering, and the intakes and flaps came out very nice. Looking at it, it could pass for the Revell kit.

Do you happen to have a pic of the rear quarter that includs the tails?

EDIT: Oops, see you added more! :wacko:

Cheers

Ken

Edited by Ken Middleton

Thanks for the comments guys. Picked up the Revell kit and I think I will use the same decals and do the 210 bird, although I have a few floaters in my head on other decals for it ;) .

I'm interested what you guys think to the weathering, particulary the streaks I layed down with my airbrush. I know that the E/F's are not that weathered being fairly new, but with the mission marking on it I thought I would throw some dirt at it :P .

Its the first time I have used post-shading and weathering with my airbrush and wanted some feedback on what you guys think.

Thanks in advance

Craig

Edited by Little Mac
One question, aren't the pylons supposed to match the center line of the fuse? these appear to point outward slightly

Not on Super Hornets (F/A-18 E/Fs)...they're canted outwards several degrees for stores-separation reasons. (Or maybe just to increase drag and further decrease the SH's speed and range...)

:cheers:

Curtis

I'm interested what you guys think to the weathering, particulary the streaks I layed down with my airbrush.

I like it!

Looks like you have some great control with your airbrush and an artistic eye for scale realism. :D

The overall weathering is subtle and scattered. Nice... :blink:

The airbrushed streaks look very good to me, not too streaky, not too stripey.

For larger streaks, like the undersides of the nacelles, you could also simulate small leaks using using thinned oil paints and carefully painting the leaks then smearing them towards the rear...Be subtle as you have on the rest of the weathering though!

Chris :thumbsup:

Wow, thanks for the comments and feedback guys <_<

Ron, Holeshot is right, the pylons are canted 4 degrees outboard. For this I rotated the pylons from their front locating hole and moved the rear inboard. IIRC it was about 1.6mm.

Zactoman, I used that technique for the smaller smears and was very pleased with the results, I thinned down the oil paint a bit untill it was like warm butter consistancy as it seemed to work better than using the oil from the tube. I tried using this for the hydrolic leaks on the underside of the fuslage but could not get the right effect :blink: . I guess more practice is required.

Again, many thanks for your comments and feedback

Happy modeling

Craig