Superhornet- How does it dogfight

are skull and crossbones efficient aerodynamic devices?

Oooh, good point!!! So if I have a 1/72 Monogram F-14A VF-84 stickers, a 1/72 Snap-Tite F-14 with VF-103 stickers and a 1/72 Bandai VF-1S Valkyrie with Skull Leader stickers, will the Valkyrie win because it can transform & hover in Gerwalk mode, transform again & run in Battaloid mode, and fire a whole lot of neat missiles when transformed to Fighter mode?

Fighter mode -

10042285a.jpg

Battaloid mode -

vf1.jpg

Let's see a F-22 and Super Hornet try do that! Let's not forget Super Fighter Mode and Strike Fighter Mode. I've done it my Playstation and it kicks Zentradi tail.

Super Fighter mode -

macross_0091.gif

Strike Fighter mode -

02.jpg

Does it matter if I put one of the stickers on upside-down? See you guys tomorrow at recess!!!

Edited by John Bibay
The Sukhoi SU27 would beat all those fighters in a dogfight. Even the F-22.

Actually, the Sukhoi would beat the F-22 before the Sukhoi has even taken off from the runway. I bet the Russian pilots would still be drinking vodka and laughing while the F-22's are dropping like flies from the skies above.

I could shoot a SU-27 down with a sling-shot when it does that stupid cobra move. :lol:

Funny thing is that the SPAD XIII could out-turn ALL of them, but I think it looses the dogfight Go back to WWII, and the Zero could run circles around and around the P-38, but the win/loss record shows that that is not necessarily the winning tactic. But sometimes the zero wins. It's a complex subject; you need a plane and a tactic that work in harmony and play to the opponent's weakness in the situation at hand.

Another analogy, think about a guy with a spear. He beats the guy on the horse most every time. But the guy with a spear gets killed by someone with a bow. The guy with the bow can't shoot the guy on the horse. But sometimes the guy with the bow gets lucky and hits the guy on the horse; the spear hits the saddle, and the guy with the spear looses his head, or the guy with the bow misses, and he end up with a spear in his neck. Which one is the "best" soldier?

Aircraft work somewhat the same way. Fast jets with long range missles and big radars work with a certain set of tactics. Slower aircraft with better turning and heat seakers will have a different set of strengths. Which one wins probably depends on the situation. The Airforce brass don't want different jets because they like variety! Each thing in its time and place is the best tool for the job at hand.

In a budget-limited world, which is better, 6 F-22's, 12 F-15's or 20 F-16's? I know a bunch of people get paid a bunch to worry about the problem, and they think the mix we have is the right one. Maybe they're wrong, but I bet not by much.

Oh, yeah...They all perform better with a JollyRoger on the tail. Murph, you need to get one painted on the F-22. That would be great!

Edited by kozlok

I have read an article on the performance on F/A-18F series aircraft. This series of Jet Flighter not primilary design for traditional dogflight, air superior..... Instead, they are designed as a weapon launching vechile where the most demanding requirement for F/A-18F is the Max. Load on un-used weapon as the cost of precision weapon is getting more expensive.

From the reference, the requirement low-speed, low-attitude, stable flight is critical for F/A-18F design where it will offset the high performance of Air-to-Air dogflight.

Just my 2 cents.

So how does the new Superhornet compare in a dogfight to it's peers? Does it do as well as the baby hornet? Does it out-turn the Tomcat. Assume all other factors (pilot, training, weather) being equal.
Legacy Hornet takes the dogfighting tropy. Strictly my opinion, based upon my personal knowledge (admittedly NOT from flying/fighting each of them). But I have my reasons why, and if you want to read about it, go here:

Sea Story (ARC Real Aviation Discussion Forum)

so as not to hijack Toadwbg's thread.

Sorry, John- it's my "A pilot told me, that's why" story... :thumbsup: