1/48 Hasegawa VFA-82 "Aflac" F/A-18C

Wow, nice work.

BTW, how do you work so fast and keep quality up? It'd take me at least three months to build another F/A-18.

Rodney

Well I basically build the same models over and over again. F-14, F-15, F-16, F-18. After a while, it just becomes routine!

well if you need insurance call the navys marauders. i have that in my stash to build also. how did you get the panel lines to stand out? ifi can ever get past these 3 1/48 hornets i can start back on my 1/72 collection again. by the way awesome work. what is next off your bench?

Here's the deal with the panel lines. I've always had problems applying gloss coats, so I decided to experiment with Xtracolor gloss acrylics. The gloss finish is ideal for the sludge wash thing. I apply the wash (which is water + black acrylic paint + dish soap) using a fine point brush to the panel lines. After it dries I remove the excess with a Q tip dipped in windex. The gloss painted surface allows the excess wash to be removed effortlessly. Now some people may think that this makes the panel lines too exaggerated, but I think it really brings the model to life. I guess its all a matter of opinion, but the way I look at it is you pay all that money for a Hasegawa or Tamiya kit so you can have all those beautiful recessed panel lines, why not show them off? Just remember the glossier the surface the better, and the more wash you slop on, the more you have to remove, so apply it sparingly. There was great article in Finescale Modeler about this whole process a few years back.

I think it looks great Geoff.

I've really seen a vast improvement over the last year or so with your models (not that your others were bad or anything), I'm just saying you've really mastered your techniques and it's really showed off in this model.

I have to say it took brass to build the AFLAC bird. That's alot of blue and alot of decal to be handled with..

Very Cool!