1/72 Amodel Yak-28L & Tu-128

Fortunately Fiddler pointed me here.

greetings lovers of all things evil (at least flying things). :coolio:

I'l like to announce my participation with a two of my favorite soviet aircraft.

Amodel's 1/72: Yak 28-L and a Tu-128.

http://www.free-imagehost.info/ims/pic/185VIZQJ/807.jpg

http://www.free-imagehost.info/ims/pic/185VIZQJ/808.jpg

I've already started with the cleaning of the parts and some minor corrections (yak). The 128 I've started with the cleaning of the palstic parts and cockpit assembly.

I don't have anything special planned for these birds as far as superdetailing. For now, it seems like an out of the box job for the most part (with some minor details of course).

I plan NM paint scheems for both, although I have my reservations on the Yak (who knows, I might have to resort to a camo job on this one).

I'll post some pics as soon as I find a free image upload site. (let me know if you have one you reccomend).

thanks, <_<

Ernie A.

Greetings Gang.

Well, I've been somewhat buisy with the Yak, not much done to the Fiddler yet.

The kit matches overall with the ref. drawings I'm using, except the fuselage lenth. The kit fuselage seems a bit short (approx. 12"), but I've decided to go as is.

I started by re-touching the panel lines, and correcting a few. Had to make some minor surgery on one of the wings to remedy a slight warpage. I hope is not too ovious at the end.

IMG_4099.jpg

I then moved on to the iterior. I decided to improve the cockpit with items from the spares box.

I also decided to add the bom-bay to make the fuselage more sturdy. Not planning to leave bay doors open.

IMG_4097.jpg

IMG_4098.jpg

With the upgraded cockpit, I'm now in need of a ejection seat. I cannibalized a few seats and added some details to create a master that hopefully resembles a K-5MN seat.

IMG_4101.jpg

Well, I guess that's all for now.

Currently working on the engines, will have pics. later this week.

thanks,

Ernie A.

Edited by modelmax
  • 2 weeks later...
Nice work! :thumbsup: The Yak-28 was such a cool-looking plane!

Seeing that you use Photobucket, post the IMG tags, as those will display the pics right away!

Thanks for the great advice...I'm kinda new to the image posting world.

Well here's my latest progress.

Assembled the engine pods. found out the intake and exhaust to be poorly shaped, and proceeded to replace them with brass tubing. I replaced .19in. of the intake and .15in. of the exhaust, and proceeded to re-contour using putty.

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

Couldn't resist an overall dry fit check.

IMG_0747.jpg

and a fit check of the cockpit.

IMG_0743.jpg

well, that's all for now.

Will try to get going on the Fiddler soon.

Thanks,

Ernie A.

Assembled the engine pods. found out the intake and exhaust to be poorly shaped, and proceeded to replace them with brass tubing. I replaced .19in. of the intake and .15in. of the exhaust, and proceeded to re-contour using putty.

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

What a great idea! I have the A-Model Yak-28 too & I'm going to steal your idea :)

and a fit check of the cockpit.

IMG_0743.jpg

What are you using for the photoetch? I didn't know there was one for the Yak-28.

Thanks in advance & please post more in-progress shots so that I can learn from you <_<

JackMan:

The PE stuff that you see is from my spares box. I don't know of any PE sets for the Yak-28 series.

Janman:

I have some reference material from a book that I can scan and send to you.

Thanks,

Ernie A.

Edited by modelmax
  • 1 month later...

No major progress to report on the Tu-128, other than some cockpit assembly, and cleaning and dryfitting of major assembly items.

Progress on Yak-28L has also been slow, but here's what I got so far.

finally got to join the fusselage halves. this required the finishing of the L/G bays, and bombardier's compartment.

IMG_4410.jpg

I attempted to replicate the cocpit and bombardier's compartment based on my references, but I finally gave up in favor of some representative freelancing. this is what I ended up with. I'm satisfied.

IMG_4409.jpg

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4406.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

more to follow.

Ernie A.

Here's the rest of my progress on my Yak-28L build.

Here's a look at one of the engine pods primed and ready for assembly into the wing.

IMG_4411.jpg

I found the fit of the engine pods to the wings, and the wings to the fusselage were not symetrical in any respect, thus I decided that attaching the wings to the fusselage first will be the best option. for this, I had to build an alignment jig. I based the dimentions for the geometry on the drawings obtanined from the Aerofax book on this subject. Here it is...nothing fancy.

IMG_4413.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

Initial dryfitting looks promessing. Anhedral and fit matches drawing and looks the part. Next addition the jig will be for placing the engine pods to the wing. more on this latter.

the pilot's cokpit has me somewhat puzzled. I can't decide whether to use a "freelance" instrument panel, that looks OK, but is not quite accurate.

IMG_4420.jpg

Or, the homemade intrument panel decals, which are accurate, but the resolution is not quite crisp in 72nd scale due to the limitations of my printer.

IMG_4421.jpg

Please help me decide.

well, I think this is all for now.

will try to get back on the ball soon and finish the assembly.

thanks,

Ernie A.

the bombers position looks great... I wouldn't worry about accuracy issues too much if you don't plan to open the canopies...

And you probably dont have "i know everthing abouth yak-28 cockpits" freak, do you? :D

Very nice work so far. :coolio:

Wow, the work on the cockpit looks very realistic as you ask me :doh: I digged thought a Yak-28 Brewer-E walk around book as ref for my Brewer-D and yours does look amazing.

If you don't mind paying some extra money you could go to a copycenter which have a better printer quality if you want to improve your realistic panels.

the pilot's cokpit has me somewhat puzzled. I can't decide whether to use a "freelance" instrument panel, that looks OK, but is not quite accurate.

Or, the homemade intrument panel decals, which are accurate, but the resolution is not quite crisp in 72nd scale due to the limitations of my printer.

Please help me decide.

My opinion (and I may be alone, I admit) is to use the second one with the decals. IMO even if the decals aren't as crisp as you want, they're better than empty instruments. I don't think they look bad, from that photo. In fact, they look better than most I build!

thanks to everyone for the comments.

Fiddler,

thanks, that's a great idea. I have to give that a try before closing the cockpit.

Hi,

If you think my build isn't going allong, I'm working with some scale drawings to replicate some kit parts which are rather unusable. I scaled down drawings for the engine intakes and I'm shaping them now. I also took some measurements about how big the shockcone should be and I'm thinking about the best way to make them.

Also the cockpit, I'm planning on scratchbuilding it since the kit's assembly is rather bad. And I'm designing the parts for it on computer... but that takes longer as I hoped.

Got some parts ready for the nav cockpit but first I made some drawings for what to include and what not compared to the real aircraft. The pilot's cockpit is going to be a real pita since it has these numerous amount of switches everywhere and that's not so simple in 1/72nd. I was thinking of solving this by printing a photo on paper and attach it to the panels. Just working on that <_<

That's it, I hope that within the end of november, my cockpits and engines are ready for assembly to the airframe. after that I guess it's not that difficult anymore as this is going to be some putty and sanding work.

Cheers

Fiddler,

I'm also very intrested to know what you do for the shockcones. I had originally thought about covering the intake and exhaust with FOD covers, but I'll wait to see what you do.

by the way, I'm also very intrested in what software you're using to draw the cockpit components. I do a bit of disigning myself on my free time.

Thanks,

Ernie A.

Well,

The shockcones are bananas out of the box so I was thinking of getting some thick sprue, stick it in a drilling machine or how you call this thing, and sand or carve the sprue to shape so it is rather cilindrical... just a thought. It should be done in 2 parts, devided where the biggest diameter is. the fins are going to be made out of plastic sheet I guess which I'll cut out in size like the scale drawing.

For the intakes I was trying to adapt a a round shape to make a negative master, and push that in a blob of milliput at each side of the intake... then it's rather easy to get rid of the 2 little seams 'I think'... again :doh: Normaly the intake is a little curved, but I'm going to do it a bit barrel shaped as the curve is very slight. So I can make the intake master symmetrical and that also eases the fit of the cones...

Probably there are lots of easier methodes but I'm not that kind of straight forward thinker so I'll have to do it with my somethimes very silly thoughts :crying2:

For the cockpit... I use photoshop CS2 for that but that's a lot of trying and comparing and hoping the thing prints the right scale :) Lot's of drawings are all exept 1/72nd and much are 1/48 or even some weird scales so everything has to be recalculated and that's not my favorit thingy to do... to be honest

Thing is, I have to try everything since I'm not that used to scratch building and I hope my motivation to get it all done stays with me

:lol:

Edited by Fiddler
  • 1 month later...
any update ??

Greetings DFN,

I appreciate your intrest. Unfortunately, There's no progress to report whatsoever. Even worst, I'll have to remove the Tu-128 from my intended models to build for this GP. Had been very buisy at work and home. On the bright side, I'm currenlty on vacation from work and I plan to get back to completing the yak. If at all possible, I'll attempt an "out of box" mig 15 or 19.

Thanks,

Ernie A.

On the bright side, I'm currenlty on vacation from work and I plan to get back to completing the yak. If at all possible, I'll attempt an "out of box" mig 15 or 19.

Cool ! What MiG kits ?

Cool ! What MiG kits ?

Hi,

I just finished going thru the stash, and came across a 1/48 Trumpeter Mig-15. It seems like an easy build straight out of the box, especially with the camo paint scheme. this one has "weekender" potential. I mus t be able to finish something if I want to save face.

Still working on the Yak, but ma'an...its a lot of work! this one might not make the deadline. :blink:

Thanks,

Ernie A.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all,

some progress to report.

the simle jig came in handy during the attaching of the wings. the anhedral is right on. Unfortunatelly, the orientation of the top engine pod fairing (molded into the wing) does not agree with the the engine nacells' "drop" (wich should be perpendicular to the ground). some correcting will be in order to make the engine pods "drop" somewhat decent.

Proceeded to attach the engine pods, and it took a lot of compromising to get them to fit with a decent look.

IMG_4777.jpg

IMG_4778.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

Got started with fixing the engine pod joints. still a lot of work left. :moai:

IMG_4805.jpg

IMG_4807.jpg

IMG_4810.jpg

Well, that's all for now.

will continue to work on it this coming weekend. until next time.

Ernie A.

Good God!! :angry:

I could never summon the strength or the will power or the patience to deal with these Yak-28 series beasts, but apparently you are thru with the worst! :D

Awesome job on the bombardiers cabin so far modelmax! like your work dude! Can't wait to see the finished brutal beauty. :popcorn:

Edited by lulldapull