B-2 Stealth Bomber

The first time I saw a B-2 was at Edwards in 1995. I could get very close, but no pics. The only static one I have able to photograph was at Holloman in 2000. Have seen them numerous times, but seldom on the ground.

B-2A90-0040509thBWHollomanMay003.jpg

B-2A90-0040509thBWHollomanMay004.jpg

B-2A90-0040509thBWHollomanMay005.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any good pictures out there of Spirit of Nebraska or Spirit of Kansas? I am trying to see if there are any coloring variations to the RAM on them as I see on Spirit of Hawaii here. Spirit of New York looks pretty extreme in its RAM coloring, but it is one of the first three birds and had a look similar to that when it first rolled out (minus the black leading edges which it had way back when), so I don't think I can use it as a reference for later build jets.

Also, has anyone seen any other slogans on the gear doors of Spirit of Nebraska other then "Anytime Anywhere" as it had when it first got commissioned? Reason I ask is although I can potentially cobble together "Nebraska" from other sheets, I am a bit stuck as I can't really cobble together "Anytime Anywhere" from Invisible Defenders, even though both slogans have the same font. If I could find a different slogan, potentially one found on the kit decals, the IPMS sheet or the Condor decals sheet, then I can potentially do it.

Are there any good pictures out there of Spirit of Nebraska or Spirit of Kansas? I am trying to see if there are any coloring variations to the RAM on them as I see on Spirit of Hawaii here. Spirit of New York looks pretty extreme in its RAM coloring, but it is one of the first three birds and had a look similar to that when it first rolled out (minus the black leading edges which it had way back when), so I don't think I can use it as a reference for later build jets.

Also, has anyone seen any other slogans on the gear doors of Spirit of Nebraska other then "Anytime Anywhere" as it had when it first got commissioned? Reason I ask is although I can potentially cobble together "Nebraska" from other sheets, I am a bit stuck as I can't really cobble together "Anytime Anywhere" from Invisible Defenders, even though both slogans have the same font. If I could find a different slogan, potentially one found on the kit decals, the IPMS sheet or the Condor decals sheet, then I can potentially do it.

Jay,

my pics at the top are the "Spirit Of Kansas" , they are old "real" photos scanned in so I can really increase the quality. If you want the original jpeg's then give me a shout and I can email them.

Julien

Red Flag at Nellis last year.

"Spirit of Hawaii"!!! Great pics Jake, as usual :thumbsup:

Can you believe our "tip of the spear" C-17 unit decided to name one of there new luxury airplanes "Spirit of Hawaii"... I tried to stop them, told them there should be a "II" after it... They didn't. Told them there was a B-2A “Spirit" with the same, they didn't believe me. Oh well. Step over KC-10 dudes, new "Gucci Boys" in town... The C-17.

:worship:

Sorry, sorry... little carried away there :whistle:

Ahui hou :cheers:

Mark

Craig! That is Spirit of Nebraska (89-0128)! Any shots of the underside of her?

Djack, when did you shoot those Spirit of Kansas shots? The Grim Reapers slogan on the gear doors is new as prior to this, they had "Invisible Defenders" down there.

Keep them coming guys! :thumbsup:

Edited by Jay Chladek

BTW, to add to this resource, I went and found the buer numbers for the B-2s out there. This will help in identifying a specific B-2 when the gear doors aren't visible.

AV- 1 82-1066 Spirit of AMERICA

AV- 2 82-1067 Spirit of ARIZONA

AV- 3 82-1068 Spirit of NEW YORK

AV- 4 82-1069 Spirit of INDIANA

AV- 5 82-1070 Spirit of OHIO

AV- 6 82-1071 Spirit of MISSISSIPPI

AV- 7 88-0328 Spirit of TEXAS

AV- 8 88-0329 Spirit of MISSOURI

AV- 9 88-0330 Spirit of CALIFORNIA

AV-10 88-0331 Spirit of S. CAROLINA

AV-11 88-0332 Spirit of WASHINGTON (lately not seen with any Spirit titles on the doors)

AV-12 89-0127 Spirit of KANSAS

AV-13 89-0128 Spirit of NEBRASKA

AV-14 89-0129 Spirit of GEORGIA

AV-15 90-0040 Spirit of ALASKA

AV-16 90-0041 Spirit of HAWAII

AV-17 92-0700 Spirit of FLORIDA

AV-18 93-1085 Spirit of OKLAHOMA

AV-19 93-1086 Spirit of KITTY HAWK

AV-20 93-1087 Spirit of PENNSYLVANIA

AV-21 93-1088 Spirit of LOUISIANA

The USAF Museum also has a B-2 on display as the "Spirit of Freedom". I have a feeling it is one of the non flying static test airframes (either AV-998 or 999). It probably can't be used as a good reference of operational B-2 features since I doubt it has operational RAM coatings on it, or all the operational parts either.

I have a feeling it is one of the non flying static test airframes (either AV-998 or 999). It probably can't be used as a good reference of operational B-2 features since I doubt it has operational RAM coatings on it, or all the operational parts either.

That would be correct. I've heard it referred to as one of the "iron birds" that did not have the engines, wiring, etc. etc. just being a basic static test shell. It was tested to destruction to determine how much stress the wings could take before failure and my understanding is that it far exceeded their expectations. There was supposed to be a pretty visible crack in the wing somewhere and the museum sat on it in storage for quite a while, as scuttlebutt had it that they could not get the AF to be forthcoming with what it would take to fix the crack to make it presentable for static display. Apparently must've got fixed somehow since it's on display now. Would appear that its pretty tough to tell from the outside that it's not one of the original flying articles.

I posted these photo's here on ARC a long while back. I received them from a buddy who is with the PA Air National Guard.

Refuel11.jpg

Refuel3.jpg

Refuel.jpg

I think it's neat how the camo looks in the bright sun.

Cheers all!